Setting the command processor startup directory

When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
"CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

Why is this?

How can set the defulat to C:\?

Thank you.

John Wirt
4 answers Last reply
More about setting command processor startup directory

    Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
    shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
    it start in any directory you want.

    I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
    RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
    that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
    active windows.

    Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
    in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
    by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
    and select <Advanced> then <New>

    Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
    Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
    (without quotes).

    OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
    on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
    Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
    a lot of time navigating in the command window.

    John Wirt wrote:

    > When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
    > "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.
    >
    > Why is this?
    >
    > How can set the defulat to C:\?

    Another cool idea -

    CommandPromptHere from the W2k powertoys thingy. Right-click on a folder in
    Explorer, choose CommandPromptHere, and there you are - very handy!

    John Wirt <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
    > "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

    > Why is this?

    This is some strange Windows default that arrived along with one the the
    patches.

    > How can set the defulat to C:\?

    Set up a user environment variable named HOMEPATH and set its value to
    "\" (without the quotes).

    If you need help with creating an environment variable, post back to this
    thread.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    Aha! I suspect so. Thank you. See the response to my smae question
    previously.

    John Wirt

    "Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> wrote in message
    > John Wirt <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
    > > "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator.

    > > Why is this?
    >
    > This is some strange Windows default that arrived along with one the the
    > patches.
    >
    > > How can set the defulat to C:\?
    >
    > Set up a user environment variable named HOMEPATH and set its value to
    > "\" (without the quotes).
    >
    > If you need help with creating an environment variable, post back to this
    > thread.
    >
    > --
    > Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    > Columbus, Ohio

Processors Microsoft Command Prompt Windows