Setting the command processor startup directory

Tags:
  • Processors
  • Microsoft
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 31, 2004 5:40:31 PM

When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
"CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

Why is this?

How can set the defulat to C:\?

Thank you.

John Wirt

More about : setting command processor startup directory

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 6:23:23 PM

Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
it start in any directory you want.

I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
active windows.

Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
and select <Advanced> then <New>

Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
(without quotes).

OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
a lot of time navigating in the command window.

John Wirt wrote:

> When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
> "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.
>
> Why is this?
>
> How can set the defulat to C:\?
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:53:00 PM

Another cool idea -

CommandPromptHere from the W2k powertoys thingy. Right-click on a folder in
Explorer, choose CommandPromptHere, and there you are - very handy!

WoofWoof wrote:
> Don't know what you can do from the RUN box, but if you set up a
> shortcut to CMD on your desktop, you can edit the properties to make
> it start in any directory you want.
>
> I find the shortcut approach more convenient anyway than opening up a
> RUN box each time. In fact I keep a CMD shortcut in the systray so
> that I have access to a CMD window without closing/shrinking other
> active windows.
>

> Another way is create a right-click selection to open a command window
> in any directory that you point to. You can do this from a file window
> by doing tools/folder options/file types. Scroll down to <File Folder>
> and select <Advanced> then <New>
>
> Under <Action> Put (say) " Command Window " (without quotes)
> Under <Application used to perform action> put " command.com /K cd "
> (without quotes).
>
> OK to everything and back out. Then open a file window and right click
> on a directory. One of the selections should now be "Command Window".
> Select it and the command window should open in that directory. Saves
> a lot of time navigating in the command window.
>
> John Wirt wrote:
>>
>> When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by
>> entrering "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Administrator.
>>
>> Why is this?
>>
>> How can set the defulat to C:\?
August 2, 2004 1:33:48 AM

John Wirt <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
> When I start a command processor window from the RUN box (by entrering
> "CMD"), the default directory is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

> Why is this?

This is some strange Windows default that arrived along with one the the
patches.

> How can set the defulat to C:\?

Set up a user environment variable named HOMEPATH and set its value to
"\" (without the quotes).

If you need help with creating an environment variable, post back to this
thread.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Aha! I suspect so. Thank you. See the response to my smae question
previously.

John Wirt

!