newbie to all of this...have questions re: PC monitor

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2004 7:32:07 PM

I'm sure someone here can help me with a couple of questions. I have
a spare 21" computer monitor capable of up to 1600xsomething pixels and
an older RCA DTC100 satellite receiver. Can I hook these 2 up to watch
HDTV? In other words, can this be a poor man's HDTV setup?
Radio Shack has indoor HDTV antennas for around $40. Thanks for any info.

--
Irulan
from now until the end of time.

See post below about the same thing. Does the receiver have VGA out or
something else compatible with the monitor? You will get a great picture,
but HD goes up to 1920x1080 so you won't be able to display the full res. on
a 1600xsomething monitor. But still, it should be cool. I would do it in a
second.

--Dan

"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm sure someone here can help me with a couple of questions. I have
> a spare 21" computer monitor capable of up to 1600xsomething pixels and
> an older RCA DTC100 satellite receiver. Can I hook these 2 up to watch
> HDTV? In other words, can this be a poor man's HDTV setup?
> Radio Shack has indoor HDTV antennas for around $40. Thanks for any info.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 26, 2004 5:39:50 PM

See my previous post titled HDTV on the cheap. I have that exact
setup and it's outstanding.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:32:07 -0400, Irulan <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm sure someone here can help me with a couple of questions. I have
>a spare 21" computer monitor capable of up to 1600xsomething pixels and
>an older RCA DTC100 satellite receiver. Can I hook these 2 up to watch
>HDTV? In other words, can this be a poor man's HDTV setup?
>Radio Shack has indoor HDTV antennas for around $40. Thanks for any info.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 7:50:14 AM

There's no harm in trying. The 1920x1080i is a 16:9 aspect-ratio
signal. This means that you'll have to play with your VGA monitor's
screen-size controls to 'compress' the screen into a letterbox. (unless
you like distorted, fun-house mirror effects!)

Some monitors can compress the necessary amount, and some can't.
The main requirement is supporting the unusually short retrace-time
between interlaced fields. The horizontal scan-line rate (~33KHz for
1080i) is very easily handled by a multisync monitor. (The scanline
rate corresponds to a 540p @ 60Hz signal, which is less than
800x600 @ 60Hz.)

Even a "cheaper" SVGA monitor should give you more detail than
a low-end CRT HDTV (26"+.) The dot-pitches on the low-end (<$1000) CRT
HDTVs are just horrendous -- not much better than 720x480p.

!