What's the best way to apply Artic 5?

Richjrosa

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I know this sounds stupid but I'm getting ready to put together my new system and I need to know the proper amount and application tech for artic 5 thermal grease. I've read alot of people say when overclocking that the thermal grease wasn't applied correctly or hadn't cured etc. I have a Zalman 9700 and e4300 that I want to overclock to around 3.0 - 3.2. I'd like to make sure that the transfer of thremal energy from the CPU to the cooler is as efficient as possible.

I also would like to thank everyone for all the great posts and info. THG has always been a great read and source of info.

:D

iocedmyself

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
i've found the best way to apply AS5 is to apply a line the length of the chip directly in the center and use the edge of a credit card to spread it until it's just thin enough you can see through it. Then apply AS5 to the HS plate in the same fashion covering the whole HS plate in that thin almost transparent layer.

Once you get skilled enough at the application you really only need to apply the AS5 to the HS, if you aren't making good contact during the mounting then it doesn't matter how much AS5 is on either the cpu or HS.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
No, follow the instructions on the website exactly. There's too much room for error otherwise. You hardly need to use any of the stuff at all, too much is in some cases much, much worse than not enough. There's really no "trick" to applying it.

Richjrosa

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks, It also says it takes some time for the AS5 to cure and that the temps might drop up to 5C should I wait to over clock for a week or so or should it be fairly safe to start right away? I'm using the Antec 900 case so airflow should be adequate.

Thanks again.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks, It also says it takes some time for the AS5 to cure and that the temps might drop up to 5C should I wait to over clock for a week or so or should it be fairly safe to start right away? I'm using the Antec 900 case so airflow should be adequate.

Thanks again.

I would say it would be ok as long as you monitor your temps and don't go overboard. What are you using for CPU cooling Stock or do you have an aftermarket cooler?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
You can overclock before it cures, just make sure you're shutting your computer down completely from time to time and watching your temps.

vaggeto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Their AS5 instructions somewhat baffle me(especially before reading the instructions for the single core with heat spreader with decent pictures. Their instructions for a dual core just say a "thin line" in the right direction, and instead of a picture like all other types of CPUs, they have a little red line showing you which gives no idea how how thick the line should be, or how much should be on there. "thin line" can be in how thick it is or also how wide it is, but they don't say what they mean so I'm quite confused by it all. Does anyone know where any pictures are for AS5 pre-applied to a dualcore? I'd like to get an idea of how much is used.

Thanks you!

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You just need enough AS to completely cover the CPU with a thin layer, like a paper sheet thick. You can use several things to spread, a credit card is a good tool to do it. do not leave any holes, just cover completely, and carefully. That should take you like 5 minutes or so to complete.

About the quantity, I would use a thin line (like 1mm wide) in the center of the CPU, starting and ending 5mm away of the edges. That will be more than enough to cover the CPU completely.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
You dont need to spread it with anything... just folllow the directions (small dot or small line) and then attach the heatsink, giving it a few little twists...

Once you remove the heatsink after you do this (for whatever reason... you arent supposed to, just if you have to redo it or want the heatsink off) The layer will be extremely thin and covering about 1/2 the surface area of the CPU (all in a oval/circular shape, over the spot where the actual cpu is)

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You dont need to spread it with anything... just folllow the directions (small dot or small line) and then attach the heatsink, giving it a few little twists...

Sure you don't need to, but you need to have a very, very good pulse to do this (something personally I don't have). If you want teh paste to be spread covering completely the CPU you should do it by yourself. Almost every builder will tell you that.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, I'm a builder, and I try to discourage people from trying to spread it themselves. Too much room for error, especially if too much is applied. Follow the instructions on the AS5 website. The pressure of the HS mating with the heat spreader causes, voila!, a thin layer to spread across the surface.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Forgot to mention, it's not important for the entire heat spreader to have AS5 on it. Only the interface between the internal dies, the heat spreader, and the HS need to be covered. The "spread it yourself" theory is a hold-over from the good ol' days before integrated heat spreaders, when it was critically important to make sure the exposed core got good contact or parts of it would die. Those days are gone.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
IMO its better if you dont spread it yourself regardless of how good your pulse is..? The force you put on the heatsink while twisting it is more than enough to spread the paste over a very adequate amount of space.

I havent seen any data showing that temperatures are different when the entire IHS is covered versus if it is only covered in the way it would be with just the heatsink twisting method.

vaggeto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
THank you for the replies! They help quite a bit... like ti was mentioned... I haven't applied TIM since the days where you did it on the die and made sure to get a thin layer over all of it. I order some good X23 TIM and a Tuniq Tower 120 and will use the apply a small amount and let the HSF pressure spread it out method.

Thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid

Sure you don't need to, but you need to have a very, very good pulse to do this (something personally I don't have). ...
Not quite sure what a good pulse has to do with anything :)

Anyway, the big risk from trying to spread it yourself is that any minor low areas in the top of the layer can trap air when the heatsink is mounted, leading to heat-blocking air bubbles and possible overheating problems.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Not quite sure what a good pulse has to do with anything :)

Haha, sometimes is important.... Anyway, I'm not saying that the pressure method is incorrect, in fact AS signals that one as the "recommended" way to apply it, just I say I feel more comfortable spreading the paste myself. When I do it I'm totally sure that the paste is applied totally even across the CPU. And a lot of people also use that way.

You can go the way you want. The important thing is that you are happy with the results.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, if you're comfortable doing it that way, and you know the dangers of getting air bubbles or allowing it to migrate off the heat spreader into your pins, keep doing it like that. The only problem is, a lot of folks on these forums aren't aware of the dangers or are uncomfortable with doing it, so it's better to err on the side of caution.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well, if you're comfortable doing it that way, and you know the dangers of getting air bubbles or allowing it to migrate off the heat spreader into your pins, keep doing it like that. The only problem is, a lot of folks on these forums aren't aware of the dangers or are uncomfortable with doing it, so it's better to err on the side of caution.

One of the advantages of spreading yourself is that you minimize the air bubbles. And if you spread a very thin layer of paste it won't go nowhere. Even more, I'm not using AS5 now, because I switched to Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (even better than AS5, need to be a lot more careful using it tho) and it is almost (if not all) pure liquid metal, and the way to apply it is also to spread it all across the CPU.

There is A LOT more "risk" with that product (because of its conducting characteristics)... But the thing is, if you know how to use it, you will be fine, and will achieve excellent results.

Anyway, you are 100% right. If somebody is has no experience doing this kind of things, it's maybe better to be on the "safer" side. But AS5 is a safe product in the first place.

It is more critical on the raised CPU dies, like the AMD, Barton, Tbred, Etc. on the raised dies just a fine even layer on the die itself has always yielded the best results for all my tests, keeping in mind the thermal compound is to only fill the microscopic imperfections and it takes hardly nothing to do that, so less is always best.

Cure time doesn't really make a lot of difference when overclocking, the added heat will cure the AS5 faster, just monitor your temps.

With a heatspreader CPU I would still apply a thin even layer just thick enough not to be able to see through, but thin enough not to squeeze out around the edges, and my best results is to carefully apply the layer before dropping the CPU in the socket, its a lot easier that way.

I'm not saying the other posters methods are not good, I'm just saying this has worked best for me, and ultimately you'll have to decide whats best for you.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Apply an amount about the size of an uncooked grain of rice. I usually just spread the stuff out with my fingertip until its good and even all the way around.

It is actually important that you DO spread the paste out prior to applying the heatsink. Especially on Intel systems - due to the way the heatsinks are mounted, your paste will end up squished to one side of the ISH only.

vaggeto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Uh oh.... hehehe. I really can make it pretty smooth myself... but any idea what is recommended for X23 and a Tuniq Tower 120?