Corrupt login profile

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 3, 2004 2:56:50 AM

Hi Win2000 user,

I enabled the Guest account on my Win2000 system. Then I switched to the
Guest login. When I tried to switch back to my user account... the system
said that my login profile was corrupt and it gave me a temporary profile.

Can you please tell me how I can re-establish my login profile settings ??

Thanks very much,

King

More about : corrupt login profile

Anonymous
August 3, 2004 11:11:06 AM

If the profile is corrupt, you can rename the profile(while logged on as
local admin), then when the user logs on again a new profile will be created
from the image in \default user. You can then copy over the items you need
from the renamed profile. Copy the folder contents not the folders
themselves. When your sure you have all you need, you can delete the renamed
profile(s). Use the import function of your e-mail software.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"KING COFFEE" wrote:
| Hi Win2000 user,
|
| I enabled the Guest account on my Win2000 system. Then I switched to the
| Guest login. When I tried to switch back to my user account... the system
| said that my login profile was corrupt and it gave me a temporary profile.
|
| Can you please tell me how I can re-establish my login profile settings ??
|
| Thanks very much,
|
| King

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:40:10 AM

Where are the user profiles stored and is there a utility to manipulate the
file's contents.

Thanks,

King

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
news:o icpdtVeEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If the profile is corrupt, you can rename the profile(while logged on as
> local admin), then when the user logs on again a new profile will be
created
> from the image in \default user. You can then copy over the items you need
> from the renamed profile. Copy the folder contents not the folders
> themselves. When your sure you have all you need, you can delete the
renamed
> profile(s). Use the import function of your e-mail software.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "KING COFFEE" wrote:
> | Hi Win2000 user,
> |
> | I enabled the Guest account on my Win2000 system. Then I switched to the
> | Guest login. When I tried to switch back to my user account... the
system
> | said that my login profile was corrupt and it gave me a temporary
profile.

> | Can you please tell me how I can re-establish my login profile settings
??

> | Thanks very much,
> |
> | King

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:40:11 AM

User profiles are stored in the 'Documents and Settings' folder. You can use
Windows Explorer to do the file copy.

--

!