>>Locked out of Thinkpad 600E<<

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E that is asking for a bios or
HD password right after it's turned on. It first shows
the memory count and then an icon/illustration shows up
that includes a number one that's directly sitting over a
symbol resembling a barrel. It's reminiscent of the
barrel that's seen on any pc to show activity, and
immediately to the right of those is an illustration of a
large padlock that's locked. The password has been lost.
Would anyone know of how to circumvent this obstacle so I
can load a fresh OS on it. I tried booting from a Win2k
cd but it's not working. It always go directly to the
forementioned drawing.

Is there a way to reset/erase the cmos's memory on this
laptop similiar (or not similiar)to the way it's done on
a desktop by taking out the cmos battery or removing a
jumper.
Any helpful assistance with this would be very
much appreciated. THANX N ADVANCE The Rookie/Wayne B.
4 answers Last reply
More about locked thinkpad 600e

    One of these may help.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search.wss?rs=0&lang=en&loc=en_US&r=10&cs=utf-8&rankfile=0&cc=us&spc=&stc=&apar=include&q1=Thinkpad+600E&q2=cmos&sort=rk&tc=&Go.x=11&Go.y=15&dc=&dtm

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Wayne B." <MrCmosDriver@aolnott.com> wrote in message
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E that is asking for a bios or
    > HD password right after it's turned on. It first shows
    > the memory count and then an icon/illustration shows up
    > that includes a number one that's directly sitting over a
    > symbol resembling a barrel. It's reminiscent of the
    > barrel that's seen on any pc to show activity, and
    > immediately to the right of those is an illustration of a
    > large padlock that's locked. The password has been lost.
    > Would anyone know of how to circumvent this obstacle so I
    > can load a fresh OS on it. I tried booting from a Win2k
    > cd but it's not working. It always go directly to the
    > forementioned drawing.
    >
    > Is there a way to reset/erase the cmos's memory on this
    > laptop similiar (or not similiar)to the way it's done on
    > a desktop by taking out the cmos battery or removing a
    > jumper.
    > Any helpful assistance with this would be very
    > much appreciated. THANX N ADVANCE The Rookie/Wayne B.

    I have a Thinkpad too. My printed manual covers this situation
    in detail. It lists several cases, some of them involving returning
    the machine to an IBM Service Centre, replacing the motherboard,
    replacing the hard disk, producting proof of purchase etc. etc.
    I recommend you consult your manual.

    Unfortunately this laptop was used and it's a number of
    years old. I believe it probably had Win 98 >maybe 95< as
    it's original OS. Someone had the bright idea of
    >upgrading it< to NT just recently. When they supposedly
    installed NT they somehow set it up to where one would
    need a BIOS password to get into the OS. F1 does no good
    along with any other combination of buttons that I can
    think of. If any other thoughts come to mind, BY ALL
    MEANS, pass them on. THANX AGAIN, Wayne B.

    Ring the IBM hotline. They are very helpful. You can find
    their number on www.ibm.com.

    > Unfortunately this laptop was used and it's a number of
    > years old. I believe it probably had Win 98 >maybe 95< as
    > it's original OS. Someone had the bright idea of
    > >upgrading it< to NT just recently. When they supposedly
    > installed NT they somehow set it up to where one would
    > need a BIOS password to get into the OS. F1 does no good
    > along with any other combination of buttons that I can
    > think of. If any other thoughts come to mind, BY ALL
    > MEANS, pass them on. THANX AGAIN, Wayne B.

Windows