W2K Recovery Console Installation with GoBack Insstalled

keng

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, no problems and really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio) installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on more than one occasion.

I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons". The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified in the root directory.

THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA) if so to start the recovery console you'll
need to *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your
system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to
specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi or raid controller
in drive "A"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"KenG" wrote:
| I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, no problems and
really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio)
installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on
more than one occasion.

| I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation
CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons".
The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot
menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified
in the root directory.

| THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This
yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

Should have been;

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA) if so to start the recovery console you'll
need to *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your
system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to
specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive controller in drive
"A"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

keng

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

Please see my reply to your brief response to my second (and more complete) posting, as I was cut off the first time before finishing. Must have hit the wrong key in the middle of typing. I really need your help

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Should have been;
>
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA) if so to start the recovery console you'll
> need to *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your
> system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to
> specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
> manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive controller in drive
> "A"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional