Direct X 10

G

Hi, im looking at purchasing a Direct X 10 Card NVIDIA 8800 GTS. My problem is i play a lot of older games, predominately Unreal Tournament 99.

I am a little worried about backwards compatability with this game and others from this era. Has anyone here tried to play UT 99 with an 8800? If not would someone be willing to download the demo if i gave them a link and try it out for me to see how it goes?

edit* heres a link for the demo if anyone is willing to try it for me.
http://www.download.com/Original-Unreal-Tournament-demo/3000-7453_4-916012.html?tag=pdp_prod

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi, im looking at purchasing a Direct X 10 Card NVIDIA 8800 GTS. My problem is i play a lot of older games, predominately Unreal Tournament 99.

I am a little worried about backwards compatability with this game and others from this era. Has anyone here tried to play UT 99 with an 8800? If not would someone be willing to download the demo if i gave them a link and try it out for me to see how it goes?

edit* heres a link for the demo if anyone is willing to try it for me.
http://www.download.com/Original-Unreal-Tournament-demo/3000-7453_4-916012.html?tag=pdp_prod
The 8800 is WAY overkill those older games. I don't think compatability is a problem, just get good drivers. Worry most about the OS. Games for Win98 might not run on Win XP for example. Or XP games might not run well on Vista, etc.

G

im still using xp, and plan on doing so for a while yet and ut 99 runs fine on xp. i just wanted someone to give it a go and see what fps its running at etc to ease my mind.

ill also be playing a lot of new games therefore the need for the dx10 card, plus with the amount of moeny ive spent building my new system i cant see any point getting anything less than this.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
im still using xp, and plan on doing so for a while yet and ut 99 runs fine on xp. i just wanted someone to give it a go and see what fps its running at etc to ease my mind.

ill also be playing a lot of new games therefore the need for the dx10 card, plus with the amount of moeny ive spent building my new system i cant see any point getting anything less than this.
If you are looking for max fps in that game, your CPU will be the bottleneck - unless your CPU is very high-end.

G

nah the cpu is fine. E6600. im not worried about performance as ut99 can be run with onboard gfx. im just worried about compatability with the new cards. i just wanted to make sure it definitly ran ok with these new cards.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
From what I understand, the 8800's are backwards compatible with DirectX so they should run older games well, I hope so because I have just bought mine and I like alot of the older games too, I have not had the chance to try them out yet though.

G

any chance you would be willing to download this demo and give it a try for me? its only 50mb.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

If you are looking for max fps in that game, your CPU will be the bottleneck - unless your CPU is very high-end.

From what you told me, I don't see any problems and all should work fine.. Just surprised you're running an old game on a high-end system. I think you will get the numbers you are looking for,

G

yeah, im looking to play new games as well. however the old ones are my favourites and im still heavily involved in the online ut community so yeah. looking to build something that will play both old and new. hopefully it works out.

still would love to know if someone trys the demo out for me though. cheers.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
yeah, im looking to play new games as well. however the old ones are my favourites and im still heavily involved in the online ut community so yeah. looking to build something that will play both old and new. hopefully it works out.

still would love to know if someone trys the demo out for me though. cheers.

I have the full version of UT, I will install it and see how it goes for you.

EDIT: I will have to find it first !! :lol:

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
It should run fine , the only compatibility problems that happen are when you switch to a new OS .

Like some of the older games which play on win 98 will not play on Xp .

You should be fine. 8)

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

From what you told me, I don't see any problems and all should work fine.. Just surprised you're running an old game on a high-end system. I think you will get the numbers you are looking for,

It's Unreal Tournament, everyone should still have that game on their HDD :D

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

It's Unreal Tournament, everyone should still have that game on their HDD :D

I should dig up Quake "1". I was getting 40 fps on the 3DFX Monster1 (4 megs RAM). Wonder what I can do now with the C2D and 8800 ?

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The cool thing is, I was just playing the original UT the other day, and it still looks great even today. The poly counts are low and the textures are less detailed, to be certain, but they were used so well.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
enewmen said:
Just surprised you're running an old game on a high-end system. I think you will get the numbers you are looking for,

What's the alternative? I still enjoy Daggerfall and Arena. I used to keep a P166 with Win 98 around just for that and the old Might and Magics. Now, I either play under XP when they actually run, or I play under Dosbox.

Old games in any genre have their charm, it's sometimes about better gameplay, despite the aging graphics. Other times, it's just a trip down memory lane for a few hours every month or so.

Now, when I get my Vista upgrade in the mail in about six weeks, I guess I'll have to set up a dual boot with XP until a new Dosbox arrives that's compatible.

The only issue I've ever noted with an older game and a newer card was when Lands of Lore 2 had to run in 3D software mode because it didn't recognize my Radeon 9800 Pro as a 3D card. I should install it again and see if it recognizes the 7600GS, after all, I think it was Nvidia that bought out Voodoo years ago.

4745454b

Titan
My buddy and I still play quake one on a regular basis. We thought it was the best game ever and haven't found another game that is as much fun. I tried to get him to start playing TFC, but he doesn't handle that game as well. (he uses the arrow keys to move, and the ctrl/spacebar to shoot. He doesn't last long against a person who moves with wasd, and aims with a mouse.) So for the record, most of my days off are spent playing Quake one, and TFC. (I also play Diablo2 with my wife. These are fitting games for a 3500+ with a x1800xt...)

I have Halo, Unreal, farcry, FEAR, and some other more recent games, but I haven't finished a one of them. I get a few levels in then get bored. Nothing has held my attention like TFC, it is the best game "forever." Supreme Commander might make me put it on hold, and C&C3 should for sure. I can't wait for Tiberium wars to come out.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Or XP games might not run well on Vista, etc.

If your a gamer nothing runs well on Vista.

That sounds like the outcry when Windows 95 came out. There were all sorts of fixes promoted to get DOS games to run well, or run at all. Eventually good games came out for Windows and gamers loved Windows 98.

Which leads me to think that Vista might be to XP what ME was to 98. Many won't upgrade to Vista unless a game they want requires DX10 and won't support DX9 legacy mode. Microsoft titles like Halo 3 will definitely do so.

If Microsoft is coming out with a new OS in two years, then people will probably go that route. By then, most of the Vista bugs will be worked out, games designed for Vista will run under the new OS and quad cores will be mainstream with dual cores budget. Maybe we'll all go 64 bit by then too?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If you like old games, try Pharoah or Empire Earth (needs a 3d card). Runs well on a Win98 Pentium 133.
Still one of my favorates.

Pharaoh was very good game, another classic from the oooold times.. I reocmmend is.. dune2 ;)
*laughs*
I remember spending lots of time on that game

<3 Sonic tanks

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If ALL you play is UT1999, you don't need a Dx10 card. Any cheap laotop will play that game at good fps even. A GeF8800 would probably puch over a 1000 fps, which is totally useless.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Or XP games might not run well on Vista, etc.

If your a gamer nothing runs well on Vista.

I have XP AND Vista Home Premium 64-bit and most game play very well on Vista. I just reinstall Oblivion on Vista 64-bit (that ran like a turtle on my previous Northwood 3.0GHz + Radeon 9800Pro PC) and never experienced a crash yet.

Most poeple that shout at Vista now are the same that did when XP came out. Guess what, they all use XP now :twisted: . Vista is not perfect, but getting my new PC 2 weeks ago I couldn't go only with XP. Upgrading isn't worth it I think, but for a new PC the advantages are sufficient to at least go dual-boot like I did.