W2K Recovery Console Installation with GoBack Installed

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, NTFS with no problems and really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio) installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on more than one occasion.

I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons". The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified in the root directory.

THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I uninstalled the console per MS support KB and Resource Kit instructions and reinstalled it 2 more times. Same result!

Then I realized that GoBack may be interfering with access to the MBR and possibly the registry. I know that it must be disabled from within Windows or you must boot from the program floppy without GoBack in memory for certain backup programs to work. Does anyone know whether simply disabling GoBack rather than uninstalling it and losing all its stored memory would solve this dilemma or if GoBack is even the likely culprit? I had the console functionally installed on my first W2K installation, but I can't remember if GoBack was on the system when I installed it.

PLEASE HELP!
5 answers Last reply
More about recovery console installation goback installed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Answered in your post of moments ago.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "KenG" <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9AC95B6F-6AB2-4447-A4CB-D8D364515180@microsoft.com...
    | I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, NTFS with no problems
    and really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio)
    installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on
    more than one occasion.
    |
    | I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation
    CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons".
    The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot
    menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified
    in the root directory.
    |
    | THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This
    yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I uninstalled the
    console per MS support KB and Resource Kit instructions and reinstalled it 2
    more times. Same result!
    |
    | Then I realized that GoBack may be interfering with access to the MBR and
    possibly the registry. I know that it must be disabled from within Windows
    or you must boot from the program floppy without GoBack in memory for
    certain backup programs to work. Does anyone know whether simply disabling
    GoBack rather than uninstalling it and losing all its stored memory would
    solve this dilemma or if GoBack is even the likely culprit? I had the
    console functionally installed on my first W2K installation, but I can't
    remember if GoBack was on the system when I installed it.
    |
    | PLEASE HELP!
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks Dave,
    I have dual 40 Gb, non RAID hd's with Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controllers. Device manger says that all are working properly. The first time I installed the Recovery Console it loaded flawlessly from the boot menu screen (second choice under Windows 2000 Professional). This continued even after Goback was on the system, until something caused system instability and an irreversible crash. I did a clean install and then added back all my apps, of which GoBack was one. Now, upon attempting to reinstall the recovery console, the described problem occurs.


    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Answered in your post of moments ago.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "KenG" <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:9AC95B6F-6AB2-4447-A4CB-D8D364515180@microsoft.com...
    > | I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, NTFS with no problems
    > and really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio)
    > installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on
    > more than one occasion.
    > |
    > | I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation
    > CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons".
    > The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot
    > menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified
    > in the root directory.
    > |
    > | THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This
    > yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I uninstalled the
    > console per MS support KB and Resource Kit instructions and reinstalled it 2
    > more times. Same result!
    > |
    > | Then I realized that GoBack may be interfering with access to the MBR and
    > possibly the registry. I know that it must be disabled from within Windows
    > or you must boot from the program floppy without GoBack in memory for
    > certain backup programs to work. Does anyone know whether simply disabling
    > GoBack rather than uninstalling it and losing all its stored memory would
    > solve this dilemma or if GoBack is even the likely culprit? I had the
    > console functionally installed on my first W2K installation, but I can't
    > remember if GoBack was on the system when I installed it.
    > |
    > | PLEASE HELP!
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave:

    Sorry for the numerous fragmented postings and replies. The website keeps malfunctioning and submitting before I finish, and I’ve lost text three times. PLEASE RE-READ THE SECOND POST AGAIN, AS IT CONTAINS ADDED INFORMATION.

    I have twin 40GB HD’s, nonRAID, with Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller. The first drive is master and the second slave, and I boot from the first partition of the first drive. All drivers are listed as working properly in Device Manager.

    On my original W2K installation, when I installed the recovery console, it loaded properly when selected from the boot menu screen (second choice under Windows 2000 Professional), the program title appeared, a progress indicator
    (“. . . . . . �) running from left to right, and then the console opened and asked for the admin password. It worked fine with GoBack installed. After an irreversible system crash, I did a clean install after removing GoBack from the MBR and reformatting the hard drive. I then reinstalled all of my programs including GoBack. Now, after appearing to install correctly, the recovery console behaves just as above when selected from the boot menu, but after the progress indicator continues for a while, the “IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL� blue screen STOP message appears. I can reboot into Windows without any problem.

    I don’t understand your comments about preventing the drive controller from recognizing the drive, as this procedure was never necessary the first time I successfully used the recovery console. As above, all drivers are Microsoft certified and Device Manager tells me they are working well. Are the drivers you’re talking about providing used to install the console from the CD, to run it from the installation CD, or to access it from the boot screen? Once again, this was never necessary before.

    WOULD YOU PLEASE address the issue of GoBack’s effects on the MBR. I found several references on the Symantec website about problems installing Windows itself without first uninstalling GoBack, which they attribute to its entries on the MBR. In addition, they mention that drive imaging software such as Ghost and DriveImage will not function correctly with GoBack enabled, and in some instances even installed, because they are prevented from accurately reading the drives and partitions.

    I’m really confused now, please help.


    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Answered in your post of moments ago.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "KenG" <KenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:9AC95B6F-6AB2-4447-A4CB-D8D364515180@microsoft.com...
    > | I have a nicely functional installation of W2K, SP4, NTFS with no problems
    > and really humming. I also have Norton's GoBack 3.0 Deluxe (formerly Roxio)
    > installed, and it is also functioning perfectly -- really saved my case on
    > more than one occasion.
    > |
    > | I recently tried installing the W2K Recovery Console from the installation
    > CD onto my hard drive with "Run" command: "j:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons".
    > The installation went without problem, the console showed up in the boot
    > menu screen. The "CMDCONS" folder and all the necessary files were verified
    > in the root directory.
    > |
    > | THEN, I decided to try to access the console just to check it out. This
    > yielded an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I uninstalled the
    > console per MS support KB and Resource Kit instructions and reinstalled it 2
    > more times. Same result!
    > |
    > | Then I realized that GoBack may be interfering with access to the MBR and
    > possibly the registry. I know that it must be disabled from within Windows
    > or you must boot from the program floppy without GoBack in memory for
    > certain backup programs to work. Does anyone know whether simply disabling
    > GoBack rather than uninstalling it and losing all its stored memory would
    > solve this dilemma or if GoBack is even the likely culprit? I had the
    > console functionally installed on my first W2K installation, but I can't
    > remember if GoBack was on the system when I installed it.
    > |
    > | PLEASE HELP!
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    To start the recovery console you'll need to *F6* very early and very
    important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive
    controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later
    you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver
    for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "KenG" <wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    | I have dual 40 Gb, non RAID hd's with Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA
    Controllers. Device manger says that all are working properly. The first
    time I installed the Recovery Console it loaded flawlessly from the boot
    menu screen (second choice under Windows 2000 Professional). This continued
    even after Goback was on the system, until something caused system
    instability and an irreversible crash. I did a clean install and then added
    back all my apps, of which GoBack was one. Now, upon attempting to
    reinstall the recovery console, the described problem occurs.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    When the Recovery Console starts, you can press F6 to install a third-party
    driver, in case you need such a driver to access the hard disk. This prompt
    works the same as it does during installation of the operating system.

    I didn't comment on GoBack because I've never used it.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "KenG" wrote:
    | Dave:
    |
    | Sorry for the numerous fragmented postings and replies. The website keeps
    malfunctioning and submitting before I finish, and I've lost text three
    times. PLEASE RE-READ THE SECOND POST AGAIN, AS IT CONTAINS ADDED
    INFORMATION.
    |
    | I have twin 40GB HD's, nonRAID, with Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller.
    The first drive is master and the second slave, and I boot from the first
    partition of the first drive. All drivers are listed as working properly in
    Device Manager.
    |
    | On my original W2K installation, when I installed the recovery console,
    it loaded properly when selected from the boot menu screen (second choice
    under Windows 2000 Professional), the program title appeared, a progress
    indicator
    | (". . . . . . ?") running from left to right, and then the console opened
    and asked for the admin password. It worked fine with GoBack installed.
    After an irreversible system crash, I did a clean install after removing
    GoBack from the MBR and reformatting the hard drive. I then reinstalled all
    of my programs including GoBack. Now, after appearing to install correctly,
    the recovery console behaves just as above when selected from the boot menu,
    but after the progress indicator continues for a while, the
    "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen STOP message appears. I can reboot into
    Windows without any problem.
    |
    | I don't understand your comments about preventing the drive controller
    from recognizing the drive, as this procedure was never necessary the first
    time I successfully used the recovery console. As above, all drivers are
    Microsoft certified and Device Manager tells me they are working well. Are
    the drivers you're talking about providing used to install the console from
    the CD, to run it from the installation CD, or to access it from the boot
    screen? Once again, this was never necessary before.
    |
    | WOULD YOU PLEASE address the issue of GoBack's effects on the MBR. I
    found several references on the Symantec website about problems installing
    Windows itself without first uninstalling GoBack, which they attribute to
    its entries on the MBR. In addition, they mention that drive imaging
    software such as Ghost and DriveImage will not function correctly with
    GoBack enabled, and in some instances even installed, because they are
    prevented from accurately reading the drives and partitions.
    |
    | I'm really confused now, please help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Recovery Console Windows