LCD vs. DLP (Part 2)

Hey Gang,

Can somebody give me a nutshell tutorial on what the difference is between
LCD and DLP. It seems that come Canadian retailers are lumping DLP under
"rear projection" sets while LCD has it's own category. Are the two so
different?
Any links/info appreciated...

Jodster
2 answers Last reply
More about part

    Jodster wrote:
    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > Can somebody give me a nutshell tutorial on what the difference is between
    > LCD and DLP. It seems that come Canadian retailers are lumping DLP under
    > "rear projection" sets while LCD has it's own category. Are the two so
    > different?
    > Any links/info appreciated...
    >
    > Jodster

    DLP utilizes a Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing chip with
    movable mirrors. DLP is found only in rear projection (RP) or front
    projection TVs. All the DLP RPTVs on the market currently use a single
    DLP chip and have a rotating color wheel to generate the RGB. See
    http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html for info on DLP RPTVs, but
    the page is getting out of date on the specifics of the new models
    (author of the web site passed away recently).

    LCD can be direct view (aka flat screen), RP or FP. LCD computer
    monitors are the application that most of us are familiar with.
    Different technology with different tradeoffs than DLP - motion smear
    for one. LCD direct view TVs are rather expensive at larger aperture.

    If you really want to learn all about different HD TV types, try
    www.avsforum.com.

    "Jodster" <Jodster71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > Can somebody give me a nutshell tutorial on what the difference is between
    > LCD and DLP. It seems that come Canadian retailers are lumping DLP under
    > "rear projection" sets while LCD has it's own category. Are the two so
    > different?
    > Any links/info appreciated...

    First, you need to distinguish between direct view LCD (which can often be
    confused with plasma flat panels) and rear-projection LCD. LCD flat panel
    displays are basically the same as LCD computer monitors in terms of their
    strengths and weaknesses. Like plasmas, these flat panel displays are
    usually quite expensive.

    For rear-projection, there is also a distinction between conventional LCD or
    LCD on silicon (LCDoS). (I believe JVC's D-ILA is a form of LCDoS.) LCDoS is
    supposedly better overall, with less visible pixellation etc. But I think it
    is also a bit more expensive. Standard LCD rear projectors are a
    transmissive technology (light shines through the LCD panel) whereas LCDoS
    is a reflective technology, like DLP.

    My feeling is that DLP overall compares pretty well to LCDoS. They probably
    each have strengths and weaknesses, but are also both very good and probably
    simiarly priced.

HDTV LCD Home Theatre