Auto Logon Registry

I have read two things regarding autologon in Windows 2000:

1) the changes to the registry (username / password) are transparent - this
continues from Windows NT.

2) the changes in Windows 2000 are not transparent / can't be determined by
someone at the workstation.

Which is correct?
How can the non-transparent case be accomplished if at all?

Thank you,

Fred

In both cases the cleartext password is stored in the registry at;

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Reg_Sz string value
"DefaultPassword"

--
Regards,