[FRLG] Good Moveset for Venusaur?

Last response: in Video Games
September 15, 2004 2:32:57 PM

Well, I decided to pick Bulbasaur as my starting Pokémon for LeafGreen as I
never gave him a chance back in the RBY days. Now I'm wonding what a good set
of moves would be as I'm definitely an amateur trainer. Not taking into
account TMs, HMs, or Move Tutors at this point, I am leaning towards this set:

Sleep Powder GRS D-SLP A--75 PP-15
Razor Leaf GRS D--55 A--95 PP-25
Synthesis GRS D---- A-100 PP-05
Solarbeam GRS D-120 A-100 PP-10

And not using these:

Tackle NRM D--35 A-095 PP-35
Growl NRM D-atk A-100 PP-40
Leech Seed GRS D---- A--90 PP-10
Vine Whip GRS D--35 A-100 PP-10
Poisonpowder PSN D-PSN A--75 PP-35
Sweet Scent NRM D-evd A-100 PP-20
Growth GRS D---- A-100 PP-40

However, I don't like it that he only has Grass type attacks and that Sleep
Powder might not be useful enough. Also, moves like Synthesis seem a bit
unnecessary when you are carrying a bag full of Hyper Potions and she (it's a
female) might be better served by Growth. Any suggestions?

- Chad
who wishes Nintendo would remake GSC, too, and doesn't miss Pokéblocks at all
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:21:41 PM

Notus00 wrote:

> Well, I decided to pick Bulbasaur as my starting Pokémon for LeafGreen as I
> never gave him a chance back in the RBY days. Now I'm wonding what a good set
> of moves would be as I'm definitely an amateur trainer. Not taking into
> account TMs, HMs, or Move Tutors at this point, I am leaning towards this set:
>
> Sleep Powder GRS D-SLP A--75 PP-15
> Razor Leaf GRS D--55 A--95 PP-25
> Synthesis GRS D---- A-100 PP-05
> Solarbeam GRS D-120 A-100 PP-10
>
> And not using these:
>
> Tackle NRM D--35 A-095 PP-35
> Growl NRM D-atk A-100 PP-40
> Leech Seed GRS D---- A--90 PP-10
> Vine Whip GRS D--35 A-100 PP-10
> Poisonpowder PSN D-PSN A--75 PP-35
> Sweet Scent NRM D-evd A-100 PP-20
> Growth GRS D---- A-100 PP-40
>
> However, I don't like it that he only has Grass type attacks and that Sleep
> Powder might not be useful enough. Also, moves like Synthesis seem a bit
> unnecessary when you are carrying a bag full of Hyper Potions and she (it's a
> female) might be better served by Growth. Any suggestions?
>
> - Chad
> who wishes Nintendo would remake GSC, too, and doesn't miss Pokéblocks at all

No. Sleep Powder is not as useful as it was. Drowzee, Mankey, Primeape, and a
few others can ignore sleep condtions. While some other Pokemon can ignore
paralysis conditions. I'm thinking about training up another Butterfree and it
has both Sleep and Paralysis powder.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:31:19 PM

Notus00 wrote:
> Well, I decided to pick Bulbasaur as my starting Pokémon for
> LeafGreen as I never gave him a chance back in the RBY days. Now I'm
> wonding what a good set of moves would be as I'm definitely an
> amateur trainer. Not taking into account TMs, HMs, or Move Tutors at
> this point, I am leaning towards this set:

I'm wondering this same thing, even though I've already beaten the Elite
Four. My move set right now is Razor Leaf, Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, and
Frenzy Plant, but the latter two are moves you get later in the game. Before
that, I had Solarbeam and I think Poisonpowder. Anyway, without
consideration for TMs and other stuff, your moveset looks pretty good. I
wasn't so thrilled that he has all grass moves either, but it's hard to do
otherwise, unless you keep Tackle. Later you can get Sludge Bomb (Poison,
90/100), but otherwise I'd stick with what you have.
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 1:28:29 AM

On 15 Sep 2004, Notus00 wrote:
> Well, I decided to pick Bulbasaur as my starting Pokémon for LeafGreen as I
> never gave him a chance back in the RBY days. Now I'm wonding what a good
> set of moves would be as I'm definitely an amateur trainer. Not taking
> into account TMs, HMs, or Move Tutors at this point, I am leaning towards
> this set:
>
> Sleep Powder GRS D-SLP A--75 PP-15
> Razor Leaf GRS D--55 A--95 PP-25
> Synthesis GRS D---- A-100 PP-05
> Solarbeam GRS D-120 A-100 PP-10

Natural moves only? Yech. Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Growth, Sleep Powder.