Boot drive with drive letter G

I installed a new 200gb hard drive on a new system that I
have a slave and secondary hard drive connected to as
well.

The new drive has the windows 2000 sp4 operating system
on it, but shows up as drive letter G (behind the slave -
drive C & E, the secondary - drive D, and the cdrom
drive - drive F). How can I get the operating system to
recognize the boot drive as drive C?

Thanks,
Sudami

it has to be the master drive on the cable 0

"Sudami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed a new 200gb hard drive on a new system that I
> have a slave and secondary hard drive connected to as
> well.
>
> The new drive has the windows 2000 sp4 operating system
> on it, but shows up as drive letter G (behind the slave -
> drive C & E, the secondary - drive D, and the cdrom
> drive - drive F). How can I get the operating system to
> recognize the boot drive as drive C?
>
> Thanks,
> Sudami

Once W2k is installed on any drive letter that drive
letter can't be changed. The entire registry - hundreds
of entries or more - is keyed to that letter.

A letter other than C is used when the second part of an
uninterrupted install finds a prior system's letters
already assigned, shifts them so they start with C, and
selects the next available letter for itself.

To get around this, a reinstall is necessary. Start a
normal install and proceed to the point where you have
deleted, recreated, and formatted the partition you want
as your system partition. Then abort that install, and
reboot to a new install. Carry the new install to
completion and you should wind up in C.

The system, however, will work just as well in G, in
case that makes any difference to you.