Invalid Product Key

I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
and tell me my key? The only information I have
is the bad key and the CD
3 answers Last reply
More about invalid product

    Greetings --

    No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. After
    all, that would be rather like storing your house keys in the lock,
    wouldn't it?

    You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
    easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5,"
    or a "Q" for a "O" or "0." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense
    to leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation.
    Also, be sure that your CapsLock if _off_ while entering the Product
    Key.

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
    computer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
    Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
    new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
    > key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
    > and tell me my key? The only information I have
    > is the bad key and the CD

    "Mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
    > key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
    > and tell me my key? The only information I have
    > is the bad key and the CD

    Your CD is not keyed, hence there is no key to read off
    it. The usual cause of a rejected key is a mismatch
    between the type of CD you're using, and the key you're
    entering. For example: If you have a key for an upgrade
    then you cannot use it with an OEM CD.

    If you firmly believe that your key is the one that came
    with your CD then you should ring Microsoft and
    explain the situation.

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:17:15 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
    <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in microsoft.public.win2000.setup:

    > No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. After
    >all, that would be rather like storing your house keys in the lock,
    >wouldn't it?
    >
    > You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
    >easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5,"

    No S or 5.

    >or a "Q" for a "O" or "0." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense

    As you say yourself in the next line: no O or 0.

    >to leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation.

    And E L N S U Z 5;
    quoting <http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt>:

    "Each character is one of the following 24 letters and digits:
    B C D F G H J K M P Q R T V W X Y 2 3 4 6 7 8 9"

    >Also, be sure that your CapsLock if _off_ while entering the Product
    >Key.

    I never found that CapsLock makes any difference.

    [snip]

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows