Invalid Product Key

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 8, 2004 7:02:36 AM

I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
and tell me my key? The only information I have
is the bad key and the CD

More about : invalid product key

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:17:15 PM

Greetings --

No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. After
all, that would be rather like storing your house keys in the lock,
wouldn't it?

You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5,"
or a "Q" for a "O" or "0." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense
to leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation.
Also, be sure that your CapsLock if _off_ while entering the Product
Key.

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
computer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
> key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
> and tell me my key? The only information I have
> is the bad key and the CD
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:25:28 AM

"Mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can no longer install win2000 as I have a bad product
> key. Is there a way for MS to read the CD I have
> and tell me my key? The only information I have
> is the bad key and the CD

Your CD is not keyed, hence there is no key to read off
it. The usual cause of a rejected key is a mismatch
between the type of CD you're using, and the key you're
entering. For example: If you have a key for an upgrade
then you cannot use it with an OEM CD.

If you firmly believe that your key is the one that came
with your CD then you should ring Microsoft and
explain the situation.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:44:51 PM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:17:15 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
<bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in microsoft.public.win2000.setup:

> No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. After
>all, that would be rather like storing your house keys in the lock,
>wouldn't it?
>
> You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
>easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5,"

No S or 5.

>or a "Q" for a "O" or "0." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense

As you say yourself in the next line: no O or 0.

>to leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation.

And E L N S U Z 5;
quoting <http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt&gt;:

"Each character is one of the following 24 letters and digits:
B C D F G H J K M P Q R T V W X Y 2 3 4 6 7 8 9"

>Also, be sure that your CapsLock if _off_ while entering the Product
>Key.

I never found that CapsLock makes any difference.

[snip]