Product Key

My hard drive has crashed, and I have the original disk,
but not the product key. Can I get the product key from
the orignal CD?
1 answer Last reply
More about product

    Greetings --

    No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. When
    you stop and think about it for a moment, that would be rather like
    storing your house keys in the lock, wouldn't it?

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
    computer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
    Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
    new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "MarKell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My hard drive has crashed, and I have the original disk,
    > but not the product key. Can I get the product key from
    > the orignal CD?

Microsoft CD-Rom Hard Drives Windows