Help!- Samsung 204b shows blank screen intermittently

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 204b and I have encountered a problem. After Windows loads, the monitor screen sometimes turns blank and appears fine for the next few seconds only to turn blank once again. (The power on the monitor stays on when the screen goes blank)

The problem exists only when I connect it through a DVI connection; it is fine when it is connected via analogue. (I am using the same DVI cable and a DVI to analogue adaptor)

My video card is an ATI Radeon x1950xt and I am currently using Catalyst driver version 7.2. (I already tried a fresh install of the program and the drivers)

When I turn the resolution down from 1600 x 1200 the problems goes away.

EDIT: A message flashes on the monitor screen sometimes when it blanks out; it flashes so fast I had to use a digital camera and view the images frame by frame so I knew what it said. The message says "Not Optimum Mode Recommended Mode: 1600 x 1200 60 Hz".

Can someone help me find a way to run my new monitor at 1600 x 1200 using DVI?

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion crazypyro. Yes I tried Samsung's site and they had only one file for download for my specific monitor, I tired it and it didn't help.

TUB

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 204b and I have encountered a problem. After Windows loads, the monitor screen sometimes turns blank and appears fine for the next few seconds only to turn blank once again. (The power on the monitor stays on when the screen goes blank)

The problem exists only when I connect it through a DVI connection; it is fine when it is connected via analogue. (I am using the same DVI cable and a DVI to analogue adaptor)

My video card is an ATI Radeon x1950xt and I am currently using Catalyst driver version 7.2. (I already tried a fresh install of the program and the drivers)

When I turn the resolution down from 1600 x 1200 the problems goes away.

EDIT: A message flashes on the monitor screen sometimes when it blanks out; it flashes so fast I had to use a digital camera and view the images frame by frame so I knew what it said. The message says "Not Optimum Mode Recommended Mode: 1600 x 1200 60 Hz".

Can someone help me find a way to run my new monitor at 1600 x 1200 using DVI?

Here try this:
1) Some LCD monitor you have to select from VGA to DVI in order to use the DVI signal (usually #2 from your LCD monitor control menu).
2) Make sure you have adequate power supply for your video card.
3) Make sure you install the correct driver for your monitor.
4) Try different video driver version.

Good luck!

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Problem solved! :D

Thanks for the response TUB. Your input got me thinking more about hardware problems than software and compatibility issues.
Here try this:
1) Some LCD monitor you have to select from VGA to DVI in order to use the DVI signal (usually #2 from your LCD monitor control menu).
Good luck!

I tried plugging the monitor to my video card's second DVI slot and everything works fine now. Turns out that I had a bad DVI port on my video card, but it was running low DVI resolutions and high resolution analogue just fine.

Everything is working fine now. I appreciate the responses I received; they really helped.

TUB

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Problem solved! :D

Thanks for the response TUB. Your input got me thinking more about hardware problems than software and compatibility issues. Here try this:
Good luck!

I tried plugging the monitor to my video card's second DVI slot and everything works fine now. Turns out that I had a bad DVI port on my video card, but it was running low DVI resolutions and high resolution analogue just fine.

Everything is working fine now. I appreciate the responses I received; they really helped.

=========================================
Your welcome! I'm glad that it worked out for you. With many different GPU and LCD brands available out there, sometimes they tend to behave differently. As a Computer Engineer Technician and PC builders for over 10 years. I've seen many different types of problem that one would never think of or thought about.

System:
* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (No OC)
* Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu LED Cooler
* ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB DDR3
* ASUS P5B-VM with FragBox II MicroATX case (New_Tt LanBox MicroATX)
* 2x1GB, PC2-4300, CL=3-3-3-8, Geil Ultra Low Latency
* Ultra 550Watt (Ultra X2 550-Watt with UV & SLI ready)
* 1.5TB Seagate RAID 0
*160GB WD Raptor X
* Lite-On 16x DVD/CD Writer with LightScribe
* TrackIR 4 Pro
* Cougar HOTAS
* Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP LCD
=============================
"One Can Never Have Enough"

Cheers! 8)