How can I recover the product key

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 9, 2004 12:49:24 PM

I have a windows2000 server with 10 user licnese. I need
to reload the server. But, the office has lost the
product key. Is there a way to look it up on my current
server?

Thanks!

More about : recover product key

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:33:17 PM

Sorry, I found a utility on the net already. Thanks
Anyways.

Philip
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:59:33 PM

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: