Bandwidth

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Recently I ordered 8Mbit from my ISP, thing is I feel ripped off.

I've been doing some bandwidth tests and usually I only get around 500Kb/s, no more than half of what is stated.

Is this normal, it's a DSL connection and I understand that my downrate is affected by my up rate as well...but this low???

Can someone explain so that I can write a nasty letter to my ISP with good info backing me up.

I'm using XP and a Dlink DSL-200 modem.

<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 12/08/03 04:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

riser

Illustrious
Are you sure you ordered 8Mbit? Seems kind of high to me, but then again I don't know what they offer in your country.
My cable modem should be 768Kb up, 128KB down, but no one else uses the service in my area, so I get everything on the pipe to me. :)
You may want to find a bandwidth tester that's closer to you and not somewhere in the US, unless a lot of the information or gaming you're doing is in the US.

Riser

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Lol, yes I'm quite suer I ordered 8Mbit...

Anyway, after reinstalling my OS I'm now up to around 6Mbit/s...I suppose that will do for now.

And yes, my ISP is naturally the one that charges most for their services, I will change ISP sometime after christmas...
27Mbit for $45, ooh merry christmas to me when I get that.

<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
If you go to 27Mbit, you'll need to buy a router with a 100Mbit WAN port, as most only have 10Mbit because most connections I'm aware of for SOHO are no where near 8Mbit. More like 1Mbit at the high end in America at least.
A T1 line is 1.54Mbit, so you would be 17.5 times faster than a T1. You'll have to have a fractional T3 line or something to get those kind of speeds.

Riser

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by riser on 12/13/03 07:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>