Question re ad hoc

a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 8:23:38 PM

Hi,

I have read some posting here regarding ad hoc but still did not
manage.

I have Work laptop with wireless adapter and its connected via network
to company domain.

At home my computer can log into wireless but cannot join the workgroup
network as its configured for domain.

Is there a at work to create ad hoc netwrok between my pocket PC and
the laptop although on other network adapter its on domain?

If yes, then can I use it for activesync.

Roni

More about : question hoc

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 12:19:54 AM

AdHoc should work, but the most common errors are in configuration.

Since there is no dhcp, the ppc's ip must be manually assigned

the device id (equivalent to ssid) must be the same for each adhoc
participant (case sensitive)

adhoc "standards" vary, but encryption may not be supported and should
not be implimented in any case until after you have a working
connection. Another question is how old and what cards are working...
early adhoc hardware was frequently adhoc incompatible between mfgs

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 11:12:18 AM

Hi,

So for IP all I need to set (in case I do not need gateway) IP and
Mask.

Like 192.168.1.125 and 126
255 255 255 0

?
The wirelss adapter on PC is not new, its Compaq WL110, the PocketPC is
new.
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 4:27:57 PM

most ppc wireless drivers have the ability to "discover" other adhoc
transmitters... set adhoc in the wifi setup then look for a screen that
has a "scan" or "rescan" option...

On mine (pda2k 2003se) wifi must be "on" then
start/settings/connections/networkcards has two tabs... the first
showing available connections... there is also a pulldown showing
"computer to computer only" so, for your connects attempts, select that
but don't forget that it turns off ap access until reset.

When you tap a network or computer that is currently accessable, you can
then go in and address the settings... think this is going to be your
starting point... if you can see the other computer(s) you should be
able to connect, if not, it's probably an ip/mask or other issues.

Once connected, if you can "ping" the other computer(s) you have good
connection, but you also have to answer the question of what you are
going to do with the connection as there are very few ppc apps that
exploit ad hoc... you can access the internet via adhoc if one of the
other computers is running ics.

please post your make/model/os/wificard etc.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 9:12:25 PM

I will describe what i have done till now

1. I changed my PC WIFI card to be ad hoc / encryption off and created
SSID
2. At that time when running IPCONFIG I can see my IP is 0.0.0.0
3. I changed the PDA to look for computer to computer net work, it
founds the new SSID and indicate it has connected.
4. At that time I see the PC assigns for itself 169.254.160.170
255.255.0.0
5. PDA was assigned automatically 169.254.135.142 255.255.0.0
6. Then I get indication from PC no signal on the new SSID.
7. I cannot ping either way.

My PDS is IPAQ and Wireless built-in, my PC one is as I wrote Compaq
WL110

Roni
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 9:28:11 PM

One more piece of information, when i changed my PDA to be
169.254.160.171 I could ping from PC to PDA but not the other way.

Roni
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 1:50:06 AM

You have to manually assign different ip's of the same network to _all_
devices before they will communicate.... the ip's you just posted are
"default" ip's for computers not connected to any network... you need to
assign in a range such as 192.168.0... as you indicated you would in a

Google for AD HOC SETUP as there are a number of helpful sites that
cover the general issuess... the problems to this point are not unique
to the pocketpc.

I also ask why you are set on getting things to work in ad hoc with
wireless ap's so cheap? It would be far easier to get multiple
computers connected using one.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 3:02:56 AM

" I also ask why you are set on getting things to work in ad hoc with
wireless ap's so cheap? It would be far easier to get multiple
computers connected using one. "

I ask myself the same question, I guess its the challenge, I can buy
cheap WIFI routers here (I live in Hong Kong), and at home I already
have wireless network, so I guess its only the challenge that pushed
me.

Any how, I do appreciate you patience, will give it last try (assigning
IP before connection) and then give up.

Cheers.
Roni
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 3:56:52 PM

not prompting you to give up, especially if your goal is to learn, for
which I will continue to assist.

Good luck.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 7:22:55 PM

But I gave up, :)  Its just not working and not friendly, and not
necessary.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2005 7:22:59 PM