Wireless Issues

dustjms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
I recently reformatted a Dell laptop (D600). I downloaded all the drivers from Dell including the wireless one. I have a Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter. I can connect to the company's network fine and the internet as well.

My problem starts when I try to copy a file from the server to the laptop that is bigger than 2 MB. When I copy and paste on the laptop, the wireless disconnects momentarily and then I get an error "Invalid File Handle." Basically, it just can't stay connected long enough to copy it.

I am having no other connection issue. If I try to copy a file less than 2 MB it is fine, no problems. I can stay connected to the internet/network all day long, no issues either. Any ideas? Where would there be a size setting for what I can copy?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Off the wall, Did MS over write your drivers with theirs?
Do you have all the latest MS updates?
Are you using MS or Intel's front end? (MS Zero config)

dustjms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
All up to date with drivers.
It's a Dell laptop and I downloaded all the drivers from their website before I reformatted the laptop. so they have not been overwritten. I've reinstalled to prove that.

Not sure about zero config, but from I've read, I think it is.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Check to see what MTU is set at for the card. Lower if at 1500 to 1400 and see if that helps. Look closely at the ports advanced driver settings and see if something is strange.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Why dont you try Intel drivers, I hear that they have a updated driver out.

Are there any drivers not normal CP/System/drivers ?

I all most think that you need to reinstall the chipset drivers for your MB.

Also run the test utility from dslreports.com It may detect something not correct.