replacing cooling fan on ATI AIW 9700PRO

student

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Hi
I have a ATI All In Wonder 9700PRO, Last year I sent it back to ATI cause it was always crashing the computer. I believe they replaced the cooling fan.
Now, close to a year later, its doing again, but this time warranty is over and the fan does not work. I bought a Vantec iceburg4 cooling fan, I figured, that it would be an easy process of changing the fan, I removed the fan from housing, removed the 2 push clips the holds the housing to the card, and it the housing won't come off the chip, won't even move.
And this is where I need some suggestions(help). Question is can that housing come off? is it glued?
I don't see anything else holding it down. has anyone tried to replace the cooling fan before
help ... please

thanks in advance

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I'd say you would be better off buying a new card. should be pretty cheap now and better than the 9700 + less likely to go wrong and if it does you have a 1yr warranty (poss longer with some manufacturers but dont quote me on that one).

cleeve

Illustrious
Carefully apply pressure and twist. You have detached all of the bolts/begs/whatever, the only thing holding it on is friction, and the thermal paste.

It's scary, but if you apply even pressure without beating on it it should loosen. Just keep twisiting the cooler clockwise and counterclockwise, it'll loosen sooner or later.

student

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I have been, for 2 days now, one corner is starting to lift slightly, but not enough, I'll keep trying

Caimbeul: I know there are better cards now, but, I paid good money for this one and am trying to make it last another year or two. But ya, its in my budget for a total upgrade

thanks
any other suggestions I'd be glad to read

student

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
well I tried a bit harder and the housing pop out, yikes hope its not damaged, well I'll clean the old thermal stuff and put the new fan on, cross my fingers, install the card and see if theres life. 8O

thanks for your replies