msvcrt.dll error

Every time I try to load software I get the following
error. "Error MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with WIN32's"
Can someone tell me how to solve this. I am running
Windows 2000 Professional and am on service pack 3. It
also says it is a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error but
all I am trying to do is install software.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sharon
1 answer Last reply
More about msvcrt error

    There could be a few reasons why this error is occuring:

    1.) The application you are trying to install is not compatible with
    Windows 2000

    FIX: Use the apcompat.exe utility, from the Windows 2000 installation
    media to modify the settings for setup.exe to Windows 2000.

    More Info: KB 251062 :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251062&Product=win20
    00

    2.) Corruption of MSVCRT.DLL

    FIX: Boot to the recovery console, go to system32 rename msvcrt.dll
    to msvcrt.old and copy msvcrt.dll from DLLCACHE folder to the System32
    folder.

    3.) The computer has been configured to Application compatibility mode.

    FIX: Check out: KB 279792 :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792

    On Windows 2000 sp3 delete the following key value, (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP
    OF THE KEY.)

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\AppCompat
    ibility\explorer.exe

    Delete just the explorer.exe key.

    Reboot.

    Best Regards,