msvcrt.dll error

Every time I try to load software I get the following
error. "Error MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with WIN32's"
Can someone tell me how to solve this. I am running
Windows 2000 Professional and am on service pack 3. It
also says it is a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error but
all I am trying to do is install software.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sharon

There could be a few reasons why this error is occuring:

1.) The application you are trying to install is not compatible with
Windows 2000

FIX: Use the apcompat.exe utility, from the Windows 2000 installation
media to modify the settings for setup.exe to Windows 2000.

More Info: KB 251062 :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251062&Product=win20
00

2.) Corruption of MSVCRT.DLL

FIX: Boot to the recovery console, go to system32 rename msvcrt.dll
to msvcrt.old and copy msvcrt.dll from DLLCACHE folder to the System32
folder.

3.) The computer has been configured to Application compatibility mode.

FIX: Check out: KB 279792 :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792

On Windows 2000 sp3 delete the following key value, (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP
OF THE KEY.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\AppCompat
ibility\explorer.exe

Delete just the explorer.exe key.

Reboot.

Best Regards,