More Days, PC Feels Slower! Help!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I would like some comments about this. I have installed my PC (in my signature) and Im currently using everything but the raptor which I will buy later on. The thing is that Im on 3.18Ghz and 1420FSB I believe. Well The more I OC, the slower I feel my PC. Also, I have checked startup programs and took off all the unnecesary things but nothing seems to be improving. Boot times, when windows with the blue loading bar appears, it takes longer than the first 3 days I had the PC.

I have to mention that right now Im using only 512mb Of RAM since 1 stick is defective. Might that be the reason of why my system is kinda performing slow?

My vCore is in 1.33v (1.3585 in BIOS), is that a low voltage for 1420FSB? I can still boot into windows hehe.

Any suggestions? I have speedstep, C1E, virtualization disabled. Any special thing like CPU thermal thing disabled. Memory running at default speeds and other voltages running at default voltages.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
The lack RAM would almost certainly be causing less performance, Also how closley are you monitoring your temps ?

If the CPU starts getting too hot which thier prone to do while overclocked they throttle back thier performance to stop damage.

More RAM is definalty the go at least 1 gig probably 2 even would make a marked difference.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yes, Im going to send my Corsair memory to them tomorrow so I can get my 1Gb pack and then start OC memory. Do you really think those 512mb left for 1Gb are impacting that much my system perfomance?

Im planning to go 2Gb later on...

As right now, Im using 8x multiplier because 9x doesnt let me go higher than 375.1mhz :(

stoppard

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
check the specs on your ram before you arbitrarily raise voltage.

what are your cpu temps? the more you overclock the cooler you need to run.
for example,
(these are just numbers i'm throwing out there)

2 ghz at 50 celsius may be fine
but 3 ghz at 50 celsius can throw errors.

that said, when you overclock you eventually reach the point of diminishing returns and in some cases diminished performance.

in the short term, run stability tests and benchmarks at your current overclock.
then back off a bit and do the same at lower settings. this way you have concrete results to compare rather than the subjective "windows loads slower" business.

it's best to run stability tests and benchmarks as you overclock, you can then make a change and then test to see if you've made a gain or a loss. it takes more time and can get repetitive, but it will yield a stable and fast pc. and you will know what effect each change has. rather than changing a bunch of paramaters at once and not knowing exactly what went wrong.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well my CPU temps are 42c right now at 1.52v in Idle, I know Im kinda high but I want to get a high overclock right now.
I cant go over 375mhz with 9x, and 8x let me go only up to 425mhz. Im on 7x and Im on 450mhz right now.

Dont know why my system is like this... Am I doing something wrong?

stoppard

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
look, getting impatient will at best result in diminished performance, and at worst you'll fry components. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE SHORCUTS, unless you have a ton of cash and don't care about breaking stuff in your pc.

run benchmarks and stability tests as i said above.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I just come again from another OC failure. I was at 452mhz at 1.50vcore and when I tried 10mhz more, it wouldnt boot. Im back at 333mhz (3.0Ghz) at 1.30vcore and gonna run Orthos to see if this is really stable at default voltage.

So here are my results

9x multiplier wont let me go higher than 375mhz
8x multiplier wont let me go higher than 425mhz
7x multiplier wont let me go higher than 452mhz
6x multiplier wont let me even boot at 450mhz

I really dont know what Im doing wrong...

Here are my BIOS settings that Im using right now and that I keep to overclock (once I start to OC, I only increase voltages and FSB, I dont change anything else)

AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Enabled
LinkBoost: Disabled
SLI-Ready Memory: Expert

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1333 (means 333.3FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1333mhz
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800 (means 400mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 798.2

CPU Multiplier: x9

Vcore Voltage: 1.32500 set (1.30v bios/1.30v windows idle/1.30v windows load)
Memory Voltage: 2.100v
1.2v HT Voltage: 1.25v (1.3 in Probe II)
NB Core Voltage: 1.4v (1.44v in Probe II)
SB Core Voltage: 1.50v (1.52v in Probe II )
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.3v (1.36v in Probe II)
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage: AUTO
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage: AUTO
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage: AUTO

tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200

----

Hope that helps to let you know what I have done wrong.

Any help is really appreciated

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Your motherboard might work differently than my AMD type, but if one of my ram sticks was out, the memory speed would be cut from DDR to just R, since it uses matching pairs to get the DDR. 2nd, 512 is going to force some swapping, and that slows things down.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Any idea why I cant get my overclocks higher?

I just woke up today and see ORthos with the RED screen, looks like my Core 2 Duo wont work at 1333mhz with 1.33v so I increse it a little bit. (1.34v now)

randomizer

Champion
Going back to your first post you said you were running a 1420mhz fsb at 1.33V, maybe thats why it was feeling slower. It wasnt at all stable at 1333mhz fsb and 1.33V, so perhaps the cpu was making miscalulations, or was just struggling to run, resulting in low performance. I think you should put the vcore a bit higher than you need and when you find your max stable clock THEN reduce it to the lowest stable voltage. Otherwise you gonna spend days trying to find a stable voltage at each OC increment.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Going back to your first post you said you were running a 1420mhz fsb at 1.33V, maybe thats why it was feeling slower. It wasnt at all stable at 1333mhz fsb and 1.33V, so perhaps the cpu was making miscalulations, or was just struggling to run, resulting in low performance. I think you should put the vcore a bit higher than you need and when you find your max stable clock THEN reduce it to the lowest stable voltage. Otherwise you gonna spend days trying to find a stable voltage at each OC increment.

Randomizer, I forgot to answer this topic. Im kinda bussy but well here are my results.
Good news as for now, at 1333mhz FSB my E6600 is estable at 1.34vcore (1.37500 in BIOS), ran orthos for 8 hours and was 100% stable :)

Now once I get my Corsair RMA, I will keep pushing it, and yes you are right, I think my mistake was that I didnt notice how big the vdroop was so thats why my CPU wasnt stable as I expected.

Will keep you posted...