Is there a way to eneble ICS on a PCI wireless card?

columbus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
I have 2 computers, both xp, one wired to a wireless g router and one with a PCI card. The one with a PCI card has an unused 10/100 ethernet PCI card and I want to share the internet with an xbox for xbconnect/xblive.

Ok if you followed that, I think I need to a)enable ICS on the wireless card or b)bridge both PCI cards.

Is this at all possible?

columbus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
The PC that is wired to the router is not the one I want to hook the xbox to.

The computer with the wireless card has another ethernet port and I want to bridge the connections to connect the xbox to the ethernet card.

edit: here is a picture I drew link

dlarryj

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
columbus -- Here's how I understand your situation and what I belive you need to do...

I understand you cannot connect your Xbox directly into your router. If you could do that, then problem solved.

I also understand that you have a computer somewhere near your Xbox that connects wirelessly to your router. That computer has an unused Ethernet port that can connect to the Xbox.

If what I described above is correct, try this:

Assign a static IP address to the Xbox. Here's an example:
192.168.0.50 = IP address (be sure to use addresses that are within your range of network addresses)
255.255.255.0 = Subnet mask
192.168.0.1 = Default gateway -- this must be the address of your wireless router

Assign a static IP address to the unused Ethernet port on your computer. Here's an example:
192.168.0.51 = IP address
255.255.255.0 = Subnet mask
192.168.0.1 = Default gateway

Bridge the unused Ethernet port on your computer to your wireless card in that same computer. If you have never done this with Win XP than be aware that it takes several seconds and some strange messages appear while it is completing the bridging process. Just be patient and don't be surprised at the messages that you see.

Connect the Xbox to the Ethernet port with a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable OR connect the Ethernet port to a hub or switch and then connect the Xbox to the same hub or switch.

This is unlikely to work if you use a NORMAL Ethernet cable since both the Xbox and the spare Ethernet port in the computer are client devices. One of the devices must be other than a client for communication to take place; that's why you need a crossover cable or a hub or switch in the circuit between the computer and the Xbox.

columbus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
thanks for the reply dlarryj. This sounds like it will work.

stupid question, but very important: Will I be able to connect to the net on the PC and the xbox at the same time?

dlarryj

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
thanks for the reply dlarryj. This sounds like it will work.

stupid question, but very important: Will I be able to connect to the net on the PC and the xbox at the same time?

It's never a stupid question if you don't know the answer!

The answer is, "Yep -- you will be able to be on the net with both at the same time."

dlarryj

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I recommend pcmicrostore.com -- once on the site search for "PCMS CROSSOVER" -- they have some good deals and free shipping on the PCMS brand of cables -- at least as of 1:00 a.m. EST Tuesday morning.

bodieboy101

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Do many computers have both an ethernet card and a wireless card? Both have a RJ-45 connection? Where do you apply the static IP addresses? Opening up available networks in My Computer?