Sytem Properties Dialog Box

When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog box
opens up with the Hardware tab selected.

I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and none
of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
Short of doing a complete reinstall?

Thanks,
Parley

Why on earth would you want to reinstall?

Ignore the title and have a look here...

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

Also search your registry for a reference to >>>

control Sysdm.cpl,System,2

This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog box
> opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
>
> I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and none
> of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
> Short of doing a complete reinstall?
>
> Thanks,
> Parley

I followed the link and followed the instructions. But it didn't
help. I didn't find any null data keys.

Are there any other suggestions?

TIA

> Why on earth would you want to reinstall?
>
> Ignore the title and have a look here...
>
> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>
> Also search your registry for a reference to >>>
>
> control Sysdm.cpl,System,2
>
> This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
> Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog
>> box
>> opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
>>
>> I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and
>> none
>> of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
>> Short of doing a complete reinstall?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Parley

Apparently it had to do with bttray.exe which was in my all users
startup folder. Finding it was a good exercise as I found lots of
other things starting that I didn't need or want.

--
Parley D. Kennelly
Southern California Realtor®
"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I followed the link and followed the instructions. But it didn't
>help. I didn't find any null data keys.
>
> Are there any other suggestions?
>
> TIA

>> Why on earth would you want to reinstall?
>>
>> Ignore the title and have a look here...
>>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> Also search your registry for a reference to >>>
>>
>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,2
>>
>> This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
>> Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog
>>> box
>>> opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
>>>
>>> I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and
>>> none
>>> of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
>>> Short of doing a complete reinstall?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Parley

Parley,