Sytem Properties Dialog Box

When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog box
opens up with the Hardware tab selected.

I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and none
of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
Short of doing a complete reinstall?

Thanks,
Parley
4 answers Last reply
More about sytem properties dialog

    Why on earth would you want to reinstall?

    Ignore the title and have a look here...

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    Also search your registry for a reference to >>>

    control Sysdm.cpl,System,2

    This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
    Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog box
    > opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
    >
    > I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and none
    > of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
    > Short of doing a complete reinstall?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Parley

    I followed the link and followed the instructions. But it didn't
    help. I didn't find any null data keys.

    Are there any other suggestions?

    TIA

    > Why on earth would you want to reinstall?
    >
    > Ignore the title and have a look here...
    >
    > System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >
    > Also search your registry for a reference to >>>
    >
    > control Sysdm.cpl,System,2
    >
    > This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
    > Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog
    >> box
    >> opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
    >>
    >> I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and
    >> none
    >> of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
    >> Short of doing a complete reinstall?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Parley

    Apparently it had to do with bttray.exe which was in my all users
    startup folder. Finding it was a good exercise as I found lots of
    other things starting that I didn't need or want.

    --
    Parley D. Kennelly
    Southern California Realtor®
    "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I followed the link and followed the instructions. But it didn't
    >help. I didn't find any null data keys.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    >> Why on earth would you want to reinstall?
    >>
    >> Ignore the title and have a look here...
    >>
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> Also search your registry for a reference to >>>
    >>
    >> control Sysdm.cpl,System,2
    >>
    >> This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
    >> Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:O$Z9fYOKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When I login to my WinXP SP2 laptop, the System Properties dialog
    >>> box
    >>> opens up with the Hardware tab selected.
    >>>
    >>> I've run adaware and spybot and have Norton Antivirus as well and
    >>> none
    >>> of them fix the problem. Anyone here know how I make this stop.
    >>> Short of doing a complete reinstall?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Parley

    Parley,

    There's always something, isn't there?

    Glad you got it sorted out.

    Keep having fun. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eHnEUWjKFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Parley <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Apparently it had to do with bttray.exe which was in my all users
    > startup folder. Finding it was a good exercise as I found lots of
    > other things starting that I didn't need or want.
    >
    > --
    > Parley D. Kennelly
    > Southern California Realtor®
    > http://www.joverenterprises.com
    > "Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I followed the link and followed the instructions. But it didn't
    >> help. I didn't find any null data keys.
    >>
    >> Are there any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >>> Why on earth would you want to reinstall?
    >>>
    >>> Ignore the title and have a look here...
    >>>
    >>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>>
    >>> Also search your registry for a reference to >>>
    >>>
    >>> control Sysdm.cpl,System,2
    >>>
    >>> This opens System Properties @ the Hardware tab...
    >>> Start | Run | Type: control Sysdm.cpl,System,2 | OK |
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User