XP Pro product reactivation? Who to call / or URL, please

I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
hardware problems, and a couple of days
later, was advised by computer technician
that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
no good).

I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.

How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
it for the new machine.

A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
web site has good information, but they are loath to
reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.

Thanks in advance :)

Louis
6 answers Last reply
More about product reactivation call please

    Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
    activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
    advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
    need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
    process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
    code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator. Without
    the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
    activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.

    "Hemmi1" <louis@_nuncaspam_hemmi.us> wrote in message
    >I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
    > hardware problems, and a couple of days
    > later, was advised by computer technician
    > that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
    > no good).
    >
    > I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
    > copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
    >
    > How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
    > capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
    > it for the new machine.
    >
    > A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
    > web site has good information, but they are loath to
    > reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > Louis

    If the version of XP you were trying to install was OEM rather than retail
    then your support comes from the OEM, not Microsoft.

    "Hemmi1" <louis@_nuncaspam_hemmi.us> wrote in message
    >I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
    > hardware problems, and a couple of days
    > later, was advised by computer technician
    > that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
    > no good).
    >
    > I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
    > copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
    >
    > How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
    > capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
    > it for the new machine.
    >
    > A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
    > web site has good information, but they are loath to
    > reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
    >
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > Louis

    Microsoft does not offer free support for OEM versions
    of Windows XP. If the motherboard is not an exact duplicate
    of the original, your OEM version will never activate.
    You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
    and proceed with a "Repair Install" since your original
    OEM license died with the demise of the original motherboard.
    Or take the issue up with the manufacturer of your computer
    who is 100% responsible for preinstalled OEM Windows XP support.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Hemmi1" wrote:

    | I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
    | hardware problems, and a couple of days
    | later, was advised by computer technician
    | that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
    | no good).
    |
    | I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
    | copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
    |
    | How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
    | capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
    | it for the new machine.
    |
    | A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
    | web site has good information, but they are loath to
    | reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
    |
    | Thanks in advance :)
    |
    | Louis

    Now it makes sense. Thanks very much!

    I'm going to try this again today. I did the same thing
    with Office XP. I'd installed it on a machine, then I was
    asked to put it on another. Even though I uninstalled it
    from the first machine, it wouldn't let me activate it on
    the second.

    I got the screens you describe, gave them the codes on the
    screen, and then got a live person who gave me the codes to
    allow activation of the product.

    It did not take long, and all is well.

    Thanks,
    Louis

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:37 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

    >Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
    >activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
    >advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
    >need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
    >process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
    >code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator. Without
    >the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
    >activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.

    All i know abou this is when 98 om my computer started to go weridly then
    some one my mum knew @ Manbridge & Balment who sorts these kind of problems
    out because he the comuter adimn called steve friar email him Or Email me @
    omcorp@hotmail.co.uk and me and pal wiil sort you out or go to
    www.freewebs.com/compthink

    Many thanks
    Matthew Marker
    Manger of
    Om Corp

    Super!

    > Now it makes sense. Thanks very much!
    >
    > I'm going to try this again today. I did the same thing
    > with Office XP. I'd installed it on a machine, then I was
    > asked to put it on another. Even though I uninstalled it
    > from the first machine, it wouldn't let me activate it on
    > the second.
    >
    > I got the screens you describe, gave them the codes on the
    > screen, and then got a live person who gave me the codes to
    > allow activation of the product.
    >
    > It did not take long, and all is well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Louis
    >
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:37 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
    >>activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
    >>advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
    >>need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
    >>process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
    >>code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator.
    >>Without
    >>the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
    >>activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.

Microsoft Windows XP