Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Pro product reactivation? Who to call / or URL, please

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
hardware problems, and a couple of days
later, was advised by computer technician
that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
no good).

I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.

How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
it for the new machine.

A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
web site has good information, but they are loath to
reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.

Thanks in advance :) 

Louis
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator. Without
the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Hemmi1" <louis@_nuncaspam_hemmi.us> wrote in message
news:skbc31lb1faerh1886trsg7e1pmo3hvfp4@4ax.com...
>I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
> hardware problems, and a couple of days
> later, was advised by computer technician
> that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
> no good).
>
> I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
> copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
>
> How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
> capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
> it for the new machine.
>
> A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
> web site has good information, but they are loath to
> reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
>
> Thanks in advance :) 
>
> Louis
>
March 14, 2005 7:45:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

If the version of XP you were trying to install was OEM rather than retail
then your support comes from the OEM, not Microsoft.

"Hemmi1" <louis@_nuncaspam_hemmi.us> wrote in message
news:skbc31lb1faerh1886trsg7e1pmo3hvfp4@4ax.com...
>I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
> hardware problems, and a couple of days
> later, was advised by computer technician
> that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
> no good).
>
> I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
> copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
>
> How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
> capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
> it for the new machine.
>
> A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
> web site has good information, but they are loath to
> reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
>
> Thanks in advance :) 
>
> Louis
>
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Microsoft does not offer free support for OEM versions
of Windows XP. If the motherboard is not an exact duplicate
of the original, your OEM version will never activate.
You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
and proceed with a "Repair Install" since your original
OEM license died with the demise of the original motherboard.
Or take the issue up with the manufacturer of your computer
who is 100% responsible for preinstalled OEM Windows XP support.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hemmi1" wrote:

| I installed XP Pro on a machine that was having
| hardware problems, and a couple of days
| later, was advised by computer technician
| that the mother board was bad (3 of 4 capacitors
| no good).
|
| I got a great deal on a brand-new machine, but my
| copy of Windows XP Pro won't activate.
|
| How do I get the product reactivated ? I'm not
| capable of running it on the dead machine, and need
| it for the new machine.
|
| A phone number or URL would be great. The Microsoft
| web site has good information, but they are loath to
| reveal the phone number or URL for non-paid support.
|
| Thanks in advance :) 
|
| Louis
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:11:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Now it makes sense. Thanks very much!

I'm going to try this again today. I did the same thing
with Office XP. I'd installed it on a machine, then I was
asked to put it on another. Even though I uninstalled it
from the first machine, it wouldn't let me activate it on
the second.

I got the screens you describe, gave them the codes on the
screen, and then got a live person who gave me the codes to
allow activation of the product.

It did not take long, and all is well.

Thanks,
Louis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:37 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
>activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
>advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
>need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
>process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
>code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator. Without
>the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
>activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:19:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

All i know abou this is when 98 om my computer started to go weridly then
some one my mum knew @ Manbridge & Balment who sorts these kind of problems
out because he the comuter adimn called steve friar email him Or Email me @
omcorp@hotmail.co.uk and me and pal wiil sort you out or go to
www.freewebs.com/compthink

Many thanks
Matthew Marker
Manger of
Om Corp
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:53:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Super!

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Hemmi1" <louis@_nuncaspam_hemmi.us> wrote in message
news:ul5e31doagrqh8p0e5a5p2ke65jo5rm4ig@4ax.com...
> Now it makes sense. Thanks very much!
>
> I'm going to try this again today. I did the same thing
> with Office XP. I'd installed it on a machine, then I was
> asked to put it on another. Even though I uninstalled it
> from the first machine, it wouldn't let me activate it on
> the second.
>
> I got the screens you describe, gave them the codes on the
> screen, and then got a live person who gave me the codes to
> allow activation of the product.
>
> It did not take long, and all is well.
>
> Thanks,
> Louis
>
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:37 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>Proceed with activation as though you were activating on the net. When
>>activation is refused you will get a screen with phone numbers and be
>>advised to keep the activation wizard open. The reason is that you will
>>need to enter the code showing on the screen during the manual activation
>>process, either with an automated system that will have you pronounce the
>>code strings for a voice recognition system or for a live operator.
>>Without
>>the code on the screen it would be difficult for the Activation Center to
>>activate you so that's why you can't just call cold.
>
!