Unable to boot from CD-ROM

Hi,

I'm having problems while trying to re-install Windows
2000. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a desktop (PIII, 700MHz, 256MB, Motherboard: Intel
desktop board CA810e).
I did the following:
- put the W2K install CD in the CD-ROM, and nothing in
floppy drive.
- BIOS boot order was set as: CD-ROM, floppy, HDD.
- cable between CD-ROM to motherboard was tight.
- jumper on CD-ROM was set as master, since the CD-ROM is
the secondary IDE master.

However, it always booted from HDD rather than the CD-ROM.
I tried to use 2 different CD-ROMs from other PCs (which
all work fine), still got the same problem.

When I disable HDD from the BIOS boot setting, the PC got
hung and showed an error message:
"Invalid boot diskette"

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Philo

"xyin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems while trying to re-install Windows
> 2000. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I have a desktop (PIII, 700MHz, 256MB, Motherboard: Intel
> desktop board CA810e).
> I did the following:
> - put the W2K install CD in the CD-ROM, and nothing in
> floppy drive.
> - BIOS boot order was set as: CD-ROM, floppy, HDD.
> - cable between CD-ROM to motherboard was tight.
> - jumper on CD-ROM was set as master, since the CD-ROM is
> the secondary IDE master.
>
> However, it always booted from HDD rather than the CD-ROM.
> I tried to use 2 different CD-ROMs from other PCs (which
> all work fine), still got the same problem.
>
> When I disable HDD from the BIOS boot setting, the PC got
> hung and showed an error message:
> "Invalid boot diskette"

don't know why that happened
but you *can* install win2k by using a cdsopport boot disk
all you need to do is load smartdrv.