halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Just a few simple observations.

Why should AMD lie about their claims for Barcelona? Credibility is actually worth money for a business. It a business loses some cred, it loses customers also.

What could AMD gain by putting barcelona up for extensive benchmarking early? Best I can imagine, nothing that really matters for AMD.

They could on the other hand lose a little -- giving Intel too much info ahead of time is not in AMD's interest, IMO.

After seeing Intel's amazing powerful marketing convince many average people that P4s were better than A64s, you just gotta respect that dangerous illusionist machine, and take caution.

AMD doesn't need to convince skeptics of anything. It's enough to say to interested OEMs, and tech savvy customers: yes, we have good chips coming. That's all AMD needs.

They don't need to convince skeptics here in the forumz of anything.

They just need to execute well, and make decent chips (or better!), and provide dell and hp and lenovo what it takes to keep the assembly lines humming. That's all. And in the process, all of us here benefit (except possibly Intel employees).

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Very good questions/thoughts. I suspect that the one gain that AMD could realize in showing early benches is that it could delay future pruchases of Intel processors by those willing to wait. Much like Intel did with revealing benches ~6 months before it launched Core2 and attempting to achieve the same result. The one caveat here is that, as you imply, there has to really be something credible to brag about, otherwise when the product comes out, credibility is lost.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
People lie
companies lie
politicians never lie "wink wink"

my cat lies - when i eat - it acts like it likes me - i know its only being nice since i have food and i am dumb enough to feed it (thinking my cat really likes me) -my food that is!

Why amti must lie:

first, the big guys in the company are under huge pressure since profits have collapsed - answer: lie

second: in order to string along the amti fanatics (so called fanboys) amti needs to lie so they keep hoping amti will have a good product.

finally - they must lie to the press so the stock price does not go even lower then it already has!

The real questions is" Why souldn't amti lie? my answer is: they have too!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Nobody lies - your doctor lies, your teachers lied and even your mom lied too you (most likely i am guessing).

I do not lie, so may appear nuts since you probably never need a person who does not lie.

ok i lied - but i rarely lie

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Why should AMD lie about their claims for Barcelona? Credibility is actually worth money for a business. It a business loses some cred, it loses customers also.

Well, lets see:
-Because K10, AMDs only hope to outperform Intel in the near future, is going to be 4 quarters behind in C2D in market introduction.
-Because K10 is going to be released 2 quarters beyond the 'grace' period C2D needed to prove it wasnt another piece of crap like netburst was, thus setting up Intel to start taking back market share from AMD.
-To forestall the above mentioned market shifts to Intel until AMD can get K10 to market. In quantity.
-Because AMDs margins are so thin right now they must maintain volume sales to compensate.
-Because AMD doesnt have a lead in anything to help them hold on to those shares they so desperately need.
-Because Hector Ruiz doesnt want to lose his job
-Because AMD doesnt want to see its stock prices fall any lower

Shall I go on? There are lots of good reasons for AMD to lie about K10. Does that mean AMD is lying? No. But dont say they have no reason, because they do in fact have several.

You know, you are absolutely right about credibility. Credibility is worth something for a company. So riddle me this, if credibility is so important, why did AMD put out 'quad core for dummies' mocking Intel for its 'glued' die quad core, then release a 'glued' mobo quadcore which did not live up to the hype AMD generated for it? Why was AMD digging up obscure/meaningless metrics for K8 PR after the release of C2D? Why was AMD keeping its mouth shut tighter than a frogs behind when they couldnt supply either the channel or the OEMs last year? Where, exactly, is the credibility in that? And what about the credibility here? Why was the horde itself trying to build expectations for AM2 and 65nm beyond what AMD ever claimed? Did AMD ask them to? No. Did they help AMD? No. Its funny that your talking of credibility because the Horde has made crap up as they went along the past 7 months trying desperately to validate AMD in anyway they could, yet even the most hardcore Inteliot freely admits Netburst was crap. I bring this up because I can help but wonder how the Fanboys credibilty reflects on, or is a reflection of the credibility of their chosen company.

What could AMD gain by putting barcelona up for extensive benchmarking early? Best I can imagine, nothing that really matters for AMD.

Its very funny that in one sentence you make a statement about the importance of credibility, yet in the next sentence, you are saying there in no gain to be had from early testing.

Test results validate performance claims.

Validated claims = Facts

Facts = Credibility

So, which is it hal, they need to be credible, or they dont need to be credible?

Through testing, K10 could gain the credibility you were just talking about. If it is as good as AMD claims, then why not test it? They could forstall market shifts to Intel with validated claims, but without the validation that testing provides, those claims are nothing more than supposition. When it comes to sales, a bird in hand is worth more that 2 in a bush. Without testing, K10 is 2 birds in a bush. Right now, C2D is in hand.

They could on the other hand lose a little -- giving Intel too much info ahead of time is not in AMD's interest, IMO.

Yes they could, but guess what: Its already too late for that.
1) There is finally enough info out to negate any advantage secrecy could have brought them.
2) Intel has far more R&D funding, and, contrary to what Hector and the 'boyz' at AMD are claiming, I highly doubt Intel is "behind" AMD. Yes AMD got to 64B first. But Intel beat them to 65nm and will beat them to 45 nm. And by the time AMD is just (maybe) releasing its first k10 45nm products, Intel will have a new Uarch for its 45nm node.
Further, as far as Uarch 'secrets' go, I suggest you go read the Anand K10 article very closely....you may be suprised at what you find.

After seeing Intel's amazing powerful marketing convince many average people that P4s were better than A64s, you just gotta respect that dangerous illusionist machine, and take caution.

Which has exactly what to do with the point of your post? Do you beleive this is a revelation? Its not. Do you think there is anyone out there who cares about CPUs that hasnt already known this for 3 years? What are we supposed to be taking caution against? The "dangerous" Intel? Just what exactly is your point? That the "morally virtuous" AMD is above that sort of nonsence? If you believe that, you had better go check out the PR/marketing shenanigans AMD has been up to since C2D was released.

AMD doesn't need to convince skeptics of anything. It's enough to say to interested OEMs, and tech savvy customers: yes, we have good chips coming. That's all AMD needs.
Well, in that case I guess you should run out and buy yourself a fleet of fords/gms/chryslers/Sony PS3's/retail box Vista Ultimate/Netburst's, TV Wonder Knives, George Foreman Grills, body wash, etc etc etc, because all the companies that made those said "yes, our product is good".
Nothing is good until it has been proven good. By your rationale, Netburst should have been great because it looked great on paper, and Intel said it was great. Too bad for Intel the reality was that Netburst was crap. Interestingly, according to the first actual indepth look that has been provided for K10, it looks great on paper too. Better hope it doesnt turn out to be AMDs Netburst.

You have no idea just how wrong you are. That is exactly what AMD needs to do. In case you didnt keep up with the times, THG, Anand, HotHW, HWzone etc etc etc and their respective forums have sold more AMD products than AMDs marketing/PR division has. Hell, the people who frequent this board right now, Vern, Tanker, Ches, Clue, Exit, myself just to name a few, have probably sold more AMD DTCPUs over the past 4 years than AMD marketing has. Its called 'word of mouth'. It comes from providing a better product to people who know enough to actually know that it is (or rather was) better. And those people providing advice or products to people who dont know better. If you build a better mouse trap, the world will beat a path to your door. They did for K8. Now they are doing it for C2D. If the mousetrap that is K10 proves to be better, people will buy it. If not, people wont buy it and AMD doesnt have the money to pull the marketing coo Intel did with Crapburst. And guess what else...if K10 doesnt perform, the only review site/forum selling it will be AMDzone.

AMD, or the horde, or the horde accolytes, or the horde wannabe's saying Barcelona is "a beast" or will outperform C2D, or RoXoRz doesnt mean jackshit. You dont win a race by showing up to the track and saying..."well, when I get my car done its gonna do the quarter in 11.12"...You actually have to bring the car to the track and run it. Right now, K10 isnt winning any races. Its not even in qaulifying yet. It doesnt even have tires.

AMD does need to send out ES's and they do need to be tested if AMD wants people to hold off from buying Intels until K10 arrives. They need to have their producted tested so their sales force (us, not the morons at circuit city, CompUSA, Office Depot etc) know what it does. They also need to have their product tested to prove to the stock holders that yes, they actually do have a competative product. In fact, there is only 1 reason AMD should not be publically testing: K10 ES's arent performing up to spec/expectations.

They just need to execute well, and make decent chips (or better!), and provide dell and hp and lenovo what it takes to keep the assembly lines humming. That's all. And in the process, all of us here benefit (except possibly Intel employees).
Well theres a revelation :roll:

Hal,

You are in the wrong forum. This forum is about CPUs. Not commercial morality. The majority of people here want facts.. not hearsay. The forum is about performance, not unicorn wishes. Value, not manufacturer loyalty.

If it was any of those things, it would be called the AMD CPU forum, or the Intel CPU forum, or the Manufacturing Morality forum.

You keep trying to promote AMD and denegrate Intel, and you keep getting more and more subtle about it, but no matter how subtle its wording, the bias of a biased message cant be masked. Heres a thought..why not give your fingers a rest and let AMD promote itself through its products and performance. Right now K10 is not a product. Its a bunch of articles at Anandtech and other sites, and thats all it is until it hits the shelves. When it gets here, it gets here, not before. If you cant do that, then you should probably be hanging out at AMDzone.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Thats some stout stuff there turpit.

If AMD is lying say goodbye to the senior staff when a buyout comes.The guys with the most patents may stay but this is a game for the doers not the talkers.

:)
I didnt say they were, just that they had ample reason too. I dont know if they are, but if they were ever going too, the situation couldnt be much more conducive than it is now. I hope they're not, but after AMDs little 'we're not behind..Intel is' comment, I cant help but wonder if they arent lying....to themselves. :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I was working in a place called chapter 11, It operated under the same financial clause 8O :?

One day I am setting up for dinner getting the prime rib set up and the lead cook starts telling me a story about an old employee they had to fire.

They were closing down and this guy was sent off to put the prime rib away,and he was gone for a while when the lead cook heard a scream come from the walk in.

The waitress had caught this guy with his pants down ,loin deep in prime rib.

Was that a lie?He actually told me this story.
Tenderizing the prime rib? 8) :p

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I was working in a place called chapter 11, It operated under the same financial clause 8O :?

One day I am setting up for dinner getting the prime rib set up and the lead cook starts telling me a story about an old employee they had to fire.

They were closing down and this guy was sent off to put the prime rib away,and he was gone for a while when the lead cook heard a scream come from the walk in.

The waitress had caught this guy with his pants down ,loin deep in prime rib.

Was that a lie?He actually told me this story.
Tenderizing the prime rib? 8) :p

Steak sauce?

endyen

Splendid
AMD has a timetable. That's all there is to it. They will release ES chips, when it is time.
At this point in thier timetable, I doubt they even have a true ES (on
65 nanos) that will run faster than 1.8ghz.
It seems to me that when K8 was released, it did okay in benchmarks, but it wasn't untill real people got to use it that it began to gain respect.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a land far far away, I was walking through a bakery after hours with a buddy who worked there. . It was the first time I had been there, so I didnt know the layout, or about the employees. The one emlpoyee on at that hour was the janitor. He was a special needs fellow in his 30s. As I rounded a stack of proofing trays, I was presented with the site of the fellow pleasuring himself on some....&*^&...
I was about a half step in front of my buddy when I saw this. I froze in my tracks, wide eyed and unconsiously threw my arm out to stop my buddy, hitting him rather hard in the chest. My buddy responded to my action with a "WTF", scaring the janitor off in the process.

"holy #@!$#!@! man, that guy was just &^*&^*&!! off"

To which my buddy blythly replied "so what, he does that all the time"

Now you know where the filling in the donuts comes from.

True story.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
AMD has a timetable. That's all there is to it. They will release ES chips, when it is time.
At this point in thier timetable, I doubt they even have a true ES (on
65 nanos) that will run faster than 1.8ghz.
It seems to me that when K8 was released, it did okay in benchmarks, but it wasn't untill real people got to use it that it began to gain respect.
Even then, the first round of reviews had reviewers rather unimpressed with K8's lack of overclockability.

I see it this way. It was essential for Intel to get out their benches early. The big engine that couldnt, couldnt hold the server market, couldnt hold the desktop segment, time and again tried to beat out k8 with high energy consuming, high revving (if you will) processors. AMD on the other hand has been gaining ground in the server/desktop market, they were bested by C2D and threatened in both markets, but not for a long period of time. Like many have said before Barcelona is important, essential for AMD. To lie about it or to over embellish would really harm AMD (No.2,trying harder) Being second they HAVE to produce. I also wonder what would happen if one: say theyve had Barcelona done for quite some time (tho they cant produce huge amounts being that the 65nm process change is brand new to them ) and two : bringing out those benches early on, not having the fabs, nor the experience with 65nm. I would say at least here as well as in the business sector (server) that those people would be crying foul. Paper launch, nothing but air yadda yadda and the fanbois from either side would be having a hay day just my 2 c

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
turpit, I gave up reading after about 300 words. If you have good points, they can be said succinctly.

It might help you to know I'm not concerned at all with impressing you or proving anything to you. Think what you want. Because of that, I won't read very lengthy posts unless you interest me somehow.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Very good questions/thoughts. I suspect that the one gain that AMD could realize in showing early benches is that it could delay future pruchases of Intel processors by those willing to wait. Much like Intel did with revealing benches ~6 months before it launched Core2 and attempting to achieve the same result. The one caveat here is that, as you imply, there has to really be something credible to brag about, otherwise when the product comes out, credibility is lost.

I agree entirely. Two can play those games.

Personally, I think the reason both Dell and Intel have lost a lot of (repeat) customers is actually all the Intel advertising for P4, and many (not most!, but many) people finally figuring out that they had been fooled by advertising regarding the P4.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
It stems from a year of highly criticized actions and words,and a couple billion in debt.

I have been on the slam with these guys for over a year,Making the questions harder and upping the demands for nobility in speech and action.

As well as throwing their organizational tactics under an electron microscope and blurting out after each BS smokescreen. The one that nearly had me was 4x4 I wanted to take up the fight until it flopped.

Priorities were confused with branching out, while they are doing well with expanding a great product to cool new markets,The time it has taken to get there has landed them in IF's VILLE,with a 2 billion pound elephant on their chests,And snakes all around. One wrong move and they get squished or bitten.

Great moves are barcelona first,and then gfx cards acrossed the board.Barcelona will do well and its just a scoot compared to 08 and 09.
People say 08 will be their best,I say 09 will best that and 2010 even better yet.

They should fire henry or demote him,his mouth is a problem.

Yeah, I imagine if I was the AMD CEO, I would have done some of the public relations/advertising things quite differently.

About the 4x4, I don't see much fault in it. It's a specialized platform supposed to act like a workstation of a sort, even if it hasn't been competitive. You can't expect every product to be competitive. It's good if just many of the products are competitive, not all.

Ironically, 4x4 might, and I say *might*, become interesting because with better chips, it can become an 8-core powerhouse, and actually be good for many things.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

These are reasonable --- however, to contrast what you are saying...

Intel put up benches 6 months before release, there is even video of them being run and most all major HW journalist were allowed to run the benches ... yet most assumed Intel was lying :) ....

What does AMD have to gain putting up benches --- lost customers. They are losing server share, the most important of the three market segments.... they have everything to gain by freezing purchasing decisions, they should show benches.

However, you argument that they have nothing to gain by lying is a good one because if it fails to live up to the claim, the credibility is completely shot..... however, the method by which they are making the claims is subject to interpretation.... SPEC_FP is a targeted bench but not necessarily representiative of real work loads, but this is where they are claiming superiority.... not surprising, even K8's FPU is still strong, C2D only beats it because the FPU is wider. Barcelona will certainly trump C2D in this arena.

Yeah, I remember back when the first benches with the Core stuff was being conducted. I didn't bother to read a lot about it. It become clear the new arch would be good soon enough (over the next few months) (and long before it was widely understood it seems). I remember the objections to the testing, that specifically it was controlled, only on the benches Intel chose. Vaguely, if not confusing with another instance, for a while there were also complaints that reviewers had to make do with watching the intel demo, and could not get their hands on chips to do their own tests. There was concern both about what was in the box, and whether the benches were carefully choosen. All that jazz.

Now, I'm not much concerned about the AMD benching situation, just as I wasn't much concerned with the Intel situation back at that time.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
turpit, it occured to me to read the last paragraph of your long post. :) good idea!

What you want to prove is I have a bias for AMD (or at least this is one important point), right?

OK, you don't have to work in a boring way to do that!

I do!

I don't like Intel because, as I have stated before a few times:

Intel used machinations to try to eliminate AMD as a competitor that were backhanded, and not consumer choice.

I don't like a huge company using tricks to prevent average consumers, who lack knowledge, from having access to products from a competitor.

It's just that simple.

I prefer AMD.

You don't have to prove it.

And you like Intel, I infer. In a biased way, also, I am guessing.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I don't diagree with your argument above, however, for IT managers planning out their budgets --- statements of 40% better from a company wanting to sell you something doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy when millions of dollars are on the line :) ....

No doubt, Barcelona will be good -- but people are not really buying into their advertisement in full force:

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070301/28448_id.html?.v=2

Meanwhile, Kalra says that first quarter unit shipments are tracking -

well below our conservative expectations… due to weaker than expected demand for AMD in mature markets, the company’s inability to penetrate existing accounts given its less competitive product roadmap, and our belief that some of its desktop customers have increased their activities with Intel

They need to get better info out to curb the loss of momentum.

That could be. I've learned, over time, to take stock market oriented analysis with many grains of salt. Usually, what you get is some trader or analyst basically talking their book. Trying to convince others to join them on the short or long side of a stock, for profit. If they can get enough people to go their way, it moves the stock price in their favor.

So keeping in mind that idea may be one-sided (without info that balances the overall picture), it is still a concern, and no doubt AMD had that press meeting just exactly to work on that.

btw, I enjoy reading your posts

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
turpit, I gave up reading after about 300 words. If you have good points, they can be said succinctly.

I actually thought it was a very good post.

About the 4x4, I don't see much fault in it. It's a specialized platform supposed to act like a workstation of a sort, even if it hasn't been competitive. You can't expect every product to be competitive. It's good if just many of the products are competitive, not all.

You've got to be kidding me. Workstation? Don't you remember anything AMD was spouting about 4x4? It was targeted at gamers and enthusiasts, just look at the old press releases and such. Like this one, on the AMD website.

SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- June 26, 2006 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced today broad software developer support for its upcoming four-core, multi-socket enthusiast platform, codenamed 4x4. Leading software developers including Bioware, Cakewalk, Crytek, Havok, Irrational Games, Midway, NERO and Sony have been working on software applications and games to take advantage of multi-core processors and benefit from AMD’s Direct Connect Architecture.

“We’re looking at a decidedly multi-core processor, multi-threaded application future for the PC industry,” said Bob Brewer, corporate vice president, Desktop Business, AMD. “AMD has planned this enthusiast platform so that software developers can design outstanding multi-threaded applications for consumers who demand the very best immersive computing experience.”

Multi-threaded games are among the first applications to see immediate advantages from using multi-socket, multi-threaded architectures like the upcoming 4x4 enthusiast platform and make exceptional demonstrations for new PC technologies.

“With Crysis, our flagship title, we are pushing the boundaries of game-physics, intelligent combat AI and cinematic visuals,” said Cevat Yerli, President and CEO, Crytek. “Crysis will be an experience culminated in next-generation hardware when utilized with a multi-core system like AMD’s highly anticipated 4x4 enthusiast platform.”

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
What was that saying about the plans of mice and men...?

Reminds me at the moment of Lincoln. As I understand, he changed the meaning of the Civil War halfway thru.