Overclocking help...

vaggeto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I actually kinda plan to keep this as a running thread with my progress, but here is what I have so far:

System: C2D E6400.
HSF: Stock.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred.
Ram: Corsair XMS2 PC6400.

Ambient = ??? Is this ROOM temp or internal case temp?
Chipset = 965P
C2D = E6400
CPU Cooler = Stock (stock thermal compound also)
Frequency = 2133
Load = TAT 100% Both Cores
Motherboard = Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3
Vcore = Stock. (CPUZ says 1.28 V but I have it set to 1.325 which is "normal" in the bios)

Okay...

Well right now as I sit here I'm running it stock at 2.13 GHz. 8x266.
Current Core temps: 50C/48C.
When I run TAT at 100% for both cores it hits about 63-65C.

When I first set this up last night I wanted to see what this could do and sadly I was unaware that the gigabye temp monitors were horribly off. So I actually ran this CPU at 8x400 (3.2GHz) with dual Prime95 sessions for a few hours with no instability issues and now that I realize temps are horribly off TAT told me around 73C. My idles for 3.2GHz were around 55C, only 5* or so higher than what they're at now.

Any advice as to what I should do to improve temps? My case temps are quite low due to the 4 120MMs and 200MM + PSU fan.

I do have some artic silver I plan to try shortly to reseat the CPU. I just don't fully understand why my idles are so high currently. Is it just the stock HSF? I plan to upgrade but am just not 100% sure what to just yet.

Also, I assume it's a decent sign that my CPU ran at 3.2ghz in such bad conditions with no voltage increase, any idea what I may expect with proper cooling?

Thank you for the great advice on this site, it has really helped me quite a bit!

I definitely do plan to also get a better thermal compound. I'm really just looking for advice to get the best value out of this amazing processor!

vaggeto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Alright... so I ordered the Tunic Tower 120 and some Shin-Etsu X23 TIM. I figure that should solve any issues I have. Now I need to find advice on how to apply this TIM so I can be ready once it arrives.