Anyone familiar with Adelphia's Motorola STB?

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 26, 2004 10:31:13 AM

Just had Adelphia hook up my new Samsung HLP-5063W and was less than
impressed with the technical skill of the two "kids" that came out. One
asked me if the set was 4:3 or 16:9 and then proceeded to state, after I
told him its native resolution was 720p, that that wasn't HiDef, only 1080i
was. Now, I'm very new to HDTV, but suddenly I felt like the genius of the
group. Needless to say, I didn't ask any questions of these dudes.

They left me with a Motorola STB, but no manual, just a setup guide for the
remote. I would like to get more info on the STB, specifically how to access
its setup screen. There is no model number on it that I can ascertain, but
it seems a fairly feature-full one with component/DVI rear outputs and front
USB, A/V, and SmartCard capabilities. Anyone familiar with this box?

Also, I need some clarification: Adelphia sends out a 1080i signal, which my
set converts to 720p, is that correct? After I told the kid that my set's
native was 720, he tried setting the box to that and couldn't get a signal,
which would make sense, if Adelphia is only sending out a 1080i signal. When
I watch a HD channel, say NBC, the small INFO screen on the TV states that
the picture is 1920x1080i. Is this how it should be? Even for ABC, which I
think broadcasts in 720p? I know this is all fairly simple stuff, but I'm
confused.

Bottom line, the picture is great on HD channels (at least I can catch some
of the Olympics...now where's the opening ceremony that's purportedly been
playing /ad naseum/??), but I would like to have access to all settings
anyway, to be sure everything's setup OK.

Thanks,
Bruce
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:01:51 PM

Basically the same box Comcast uses in different geographic areas" Adelphia
should have the operations manuals available, if not call their toll free
number and ask which channel has the on-screen tutorial regarding the remote
and box functions.
Bruiser" <noth@nks.com> wrote in message
> Just had Adelphia hook up my new Samsung HLP-5063W and was less than
> impressed with the technical skill of the two "kids" that came out. One
> asked me if the set was 4:3 or 16:9 and then proceeded to state, after I
> told him its native resolution was 720p, that that wasn't HiDef, only
> 1080i
> was. Now, I'm very new to HDTV, but suddenly I felt like the genius of the
> group. Needless to say, I didn't ask any questions of these dudes.
>
> They left me with a Motorola STB, but no manual, just a setup guide for
> the
> remote. I would like to get more info on the STB, specifically how to
> access
> its setup screen. There is no model number on it that I can ascertain, but
> it seems a fairly feature-full one with component/DVI rear outputs and
> front
> USB, A/V, and SmartCard capabilities. Anyone familiar with this box?
>
> Also, I need some clarification: Adelphia sends out a 1080i signal, which
> my
> set converts to 720p, is that correct? After I told the kid that my set's
> native was 720, he tried setting the box to that and couldn't get a
> signal,
> which would make sense, if Adelphia is only sending out a 1080i signal.
> When
> I watch a HD channel, say NBC, the small INFO screen on the TV states that
> the picture is 1920x1080i. Is this how it should be? Even for ABC, which I
> think broadcasts in 720p? I know this is all fairly simple stuff, but I'm
> confused.
>
> Bottom line, the picture is great on HD channels (at least I can catch
> some
> of the Olympics...now where's the opening ceremony that's purportedly been
> playing /ad naseum/??), but I would like to have access to all settings
> anyway, to be sure everything's setup OK.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:30:33 AM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Basically the same box Comcast uses in different geographic areas"
Adelphia
> should have the operations manuals available, if not call their toll free
> number and ask which channel has the on-screen tutorial regarding the
remote
> and box functions.

Or go to the Motorola site and download their various manuals.
<http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default...
HomeEntertainment>

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:30:34 AM

Walter White wrote:
>> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Basically the same box Comcast uses in different geographic areas"
>>> Adelphia should have the operations manuals available, if not call
>>> their toll free number and ask which channel has the on-screen
>>> tutorial regarding the remote and box functions.
>>
>> Or go to the Motorola site and download their various manuals.
>> <http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default...
>> HomeEntertainment>
>>
>> W²

Thanks very much for the link. I finally found the model number on the
bottom of the box (DCT-6200), and downloaded the manual. Perfect!

B.
!