Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 15, 2005 6:51:29 AM

I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.

Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i tried
to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:

O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.

This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.

Any ideas, tia.

More about : problem running exe application

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:25:55 AM

Hi,

It could be a corrupt download, if so deleting it and downloading a new copy
should resolve it. If you are having multiple problems with .exe files, then
I suspect it could be a virus or other spyware interfering with program
execution. Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan in Safe
mode. Also download Stinger and run it as well
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

Then run these programs as well to remove spy/ad applications:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote in message
> I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
>
> Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i
> tried
> to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
>
> O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
>
> This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.
>
> Any ideas, tia.

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:57:29 AM

"News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote:

>I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
>
>Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i tried
>to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
>
>O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
>
>This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.

This could be an effect of a virus infection. Make sure that the
system is clean before you do anything else. If you cannot disinfect
the installation, backup your personal data and wipe out Windows and
your applications by reformatting the disk, then install new.

--
(tm)
March 15, 2005 2:59:13 PM

Thanks, reformatting was/is a last resort, just looking for a quick fix
first.

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote:
>
> >I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
> >
> >Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i
tried
> >to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
> >
> >O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
> >
> >This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.
>
> This could be an effect of a virus infection. Make sure that the
> system is clean before you do anything else. If you cannot disinfect
> the installation, backup your personal data and wipe out Windows and
> your applications by reformatting the disk, then install new.
>
> --
> (tm)
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:06:17 PM

Thanx Rick. Didn't have stinger, will try. Never knew about scanning in Safe
Mode, may make life easier from now on.

exe's still won't execute, oh well

> Hi,
>
> It could be a corrupt download, if so deleting it and downloading a new
copy
> should resolve it. If you are having multiple problems with .exe files,
then
> I suspect it could be a virus or other spyware interfering with program
> execution. Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan in
Safe
> mode. Also download Stinger and run it as well
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger
>
> How to start in Safe mode:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>
> Then run these programs as well to remove spy/ad applications:
>
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote in message
> > I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
> >
> > Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i
> > tried
> > to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
> >
> > O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
> >
> > This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.
> >
> > Any ideas, tia.

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:37:15 PM

> Thanx Rick. Didn't have stinger, will try. Never knew about scanning in Safe
> Mode, may make life easier from now on.
>
> exe's still won't execute, oh well

SP2 will "Block" exes that you download off the internet. Right-click, go to
properties, and press [Unblock].