Problem running .exe application

I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.

Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i tried
to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:

O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.

This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.

Any ideas, tia.
5 answers Last reply
More about problem running application

    Hi,

    It could be a corrupt download, if so deleting it and downloading a new copy
    should resolve it. If you are having multiple problems with .exe files, then
    I suspect it could be a virus or other spyware interfering with program
    execution. Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan in Safe
    mode. Also download Stinger and run it as well
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    Then run these programs as well to remove spy/ad applications:

    Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote in message
    > I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
    >
    > Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i
    > tried
    > to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
    >
    > O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
    >
    > This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.
    >
    > Any ideas, tia.

    "News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote:

    >I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
    >
    >Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i tried
    >to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
    >
    >O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
    >
    >This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.

    This could be an effect of a virus infection. Make sure that the
    system is clean before you do anything else. If you cannot disinfect
    the installation, backup your personal data and wipe out Windows and
    your applications by reformatting the disk, then install new.

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks, reformatting was/is a last resort, just looking for a quick fix
    first.

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "News reader" <someone@not.here> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm having all sorts of problems, cable, internet, viruses etc.
    > >
    > >Anyway, i downloaded a patch cos of a problem, O2kSp3.exe, but when i
    tried
    > >to run or open it, it failed and come up with this:
    > >
    > >O2kSp3.exe is not a valid win32 application.
    > >
    > >This has happened beforewith other .exe applications.
    >
    > This could be an effect of a virus infection. Make sure that the
    > system is clean before you do anything else. If you cannot disinfect
    > the installation, backup your personal data and wipe out Windows and
    > your applications by reformatting the disk, then install new.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Thanx Rick. Didn't have stinger, will try. Never knew about scanning in Safe
    Mode, may make life easier from now on.

    exe's still won't execute, oh well

    > Thanx Rick. Didn't have stinger, will try. Never knew about scanning in Safe
    > Mode, may make life easier from now on.
    >
    > exe's still won't execute, oh well

    SP2 will "Block" exes that you download off the internet. Right-click, go to
    properties, and press [Unblock].

Microsoft Windows XP