Unable to logon as Administrator after changing Administra..

Hi

For testing purpose I have changed the Administrator membership of a Win2000
Server to add Web Applications and Web Anonymous Users groups.
After rebooting the server, when I try to logon with the Administrator
account (the password is accepted), I can see the Loading seetings screen
and a short time after I see the Saving user settings screen and then I have
the Loggon screen again.

I've tried to logon with another user account to remove the Web Applications
and Web Anonymous Users groups for the Administrator but I'm not able to run
the Run As command to logon as the Administrator.

Any idea on how I can solve this problem?

Regards
8 answers Last reply
More about unable logon administrator changing administra

    This sounds like one of two things; the drive letter has change from
    original install, or the drive permissions have changed.

    Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/3/21.ASP

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <Faith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    | Hi
    |
    | For testing purpose I have changed the Administrator membership of a
    Win2000
    | Server to add Web Applications and Web Anonymous Users groups.
    | After rebooting the server, when I try to logon with the Administrator
    | account (the password is accepted), I can see the Loading seetings screen
    | and a short time after I see the Saving user settings screen and then I
    have
    | the Loggon screen again.
    |
    | I've tried to logon with another user account to remove the Web
    Applications
    | and Web Anonymous Users groups for the Administrator but I'm not able to
    run
    | the Run As command to logon as the Administrator.
    |
    | Any idea on how I can solve this problem?
    |
    | Regards

    Hi Dave

    The symptoms described in the article
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/3/21.ASP are those I
    have but I didn't modified the drive letter and I didn't modify the drive
    permissions.
    The only things I've made is to add 2 groups to the Administrator membership
    ("Web Anonymous Users" and "Web Applications") and to change IIS security
    rules.
    I have the same problem with another account which have the "Users" and "Web
    Anonymous Users" groups but I can logon with a third account which is only a
    member of the "Users" group.

    I think that the Web Anonymous group is the origin of the problem.

    SInce I can't execute the Computer Management Console with "Run As" to gain
    Administrator privileges (I have the error message : "Access to the
    specified device,path, or file is denied"), is there a way to remove the
    group Web Anonymous Users group for the Administrator Account. It's a
    nightmare :-)

    Thanks
    Faith

    I'm not sure of a way out of this, but the web applications group prevents
    members from running executable files, so when you log on interactively, it
    can't run explorer.exe and the only thing left to do is to log you out.

    Oli

    <Faith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > For testing purpose I have changed the Administrator membership of a
    > Win2000
    > Server to add Web Applications and Web Anonymous Users groups.
    > After rebooting the server, when I try to logon with the Administrator
    > account (the password is accepted), I can see the Loading seetings screen
    > and a short time after I see the Saving user settings screen and then I
    > have
    > the Loggon screen again.
    >
    > I've tried to logon with another user account to remove the Web
    > Applications
    > and Web Anonymous Users groups for the Administrator but I'm not able to
    > run
    > the Run As command to logon as the Administrator.
    >
    > Any idea on how I can solve this problem?
    >
    > Regards

    In that case if remote registry editing is possible this article may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296834

    --

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:
    | I'm not sure of a way out of this, but the web applications group prevents
    | members from running executable files, so when you log on interactively,
    it
    | can't run explorer.exe and the only thing left to do is to log you out.
    |
    | Oli
    |

    | <Faith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > For testing purpose I have changed the Administrator membership of a
    | > Win2000
    | > Server to add Web Applications and Web Anonymous Users groups.
    | > After rebooting the server, when I try to logon with the Administrator
    | > account (the password is accepted), I can see the Loading seetings
    screen
    | > and a short time after I see the Saving user settings screen and then I
    | > have
    | > the Loggon screen again.
    | >
    | > I've tried to logon with another user account to remove the Web
    | > Applications
    | > and Web Anonymous Users groups for the Administrator but I'm not able to
    | > run
    | > the Run As command to logon as the Administrator.
    | >
    | > Any idea on how I can solve this problem?
    | >
    | > Regards

    On second thought that most likely won't work either. May have to do
    something really drastic like replace the sam database.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi Oli

    You have right. Since the Administrator user is a member of Web
    Applications, I'm not able to use any .exe or .msc application.
    I'm looking for a way to replace the SAM database, operation that is not
    possible from the Recovery Console since the Administrator password is not
    accepted.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave

    Do you have an idea on how I can replace the SAM database without using the
    Recovery Console of Win2K? I've just tried to do so but the password is not
    accepted.

    Regards
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Possibly from a parallel install.

    --

    <Faith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    | Dave
    |
    | Do you have an idea on how I can replace the SAM database without using
    the
    | Recovery Console of Win2K? I've just tried to do so but the password is
    not
    | accepted.
    |
    | Regards

Microsoft Servers Windows