Moving Boot Record

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a system with 3 internal hard drives running MS Windows 2000 Pro with
Svc Pk 4.

The drive which has the master boot record on it I want to retire from the
system as the other drives are larger and of more recent vintage.

The win2000 directory and binaries are on physical drive 1 but the system
boots from drive 0 which I assume has the active partition.

Is there a way I can relocate the master boot record from drive 0 to 1 and
make drive 1 the active partition and boot from there instead?

There is only one O/S on the system..

thks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"Jack Snow" <mrbrew5510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a system with 3 internal hard drives running MS Windows 2000 Pro
with
> Svc Pk 4.
>
> The drive which has the master boot record on it I want to retire from the
> system as the other drives are larger and of more recent vintage.
>
> The win2000 directory and binaries are on physical drive 1 but the system
> boots from drive 0 which I assume has the active partition.
>
> Is there a way I can relocate the master boot record from drive 0 to 1 and
> make drive 1 the active partition and boot from there instead?
>
> There is only one O/S on the system..
>
> thks

Recreating the MBR is trivial. What's not trival is the drive letter
for your Win2000 installation. From what you write it seems it's
on drive D:, and that's where it will have to stay. If you remove
drive C: then Win2000 will no longer work. You therefore have
to keep drive C: as a place holder.