Sparkle 7600GS 512 OC

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I bought this card about 9 months ago before I new very much about them. All I knew was that I needed a new AGP card to play 'Oblivion'

I know that the card has DDR2 not GDDR3 RAM but when attempting to OC the NGO Drivers show default values as Core 400Mhz Memory 266Mhz. Have I been sold a pup?

Without changing the cooling or Voltage I can raise Core to 444Mhz and Mem to 360Mhz and it still runs @ MAX 60C (normally less) but I am still uncertain as to whether I have cheap CR@P RAM on the card.

Can anyone advise me. PLEASE!!!!!

NeilV

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
basicly when you buy a cheap card with a lot of ram it`s shitty ram.

i`m sorry, but you probably got what you payed for. allways do the research FOR the buying and read several reviews of hardware in your pricerange.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
that`s true but the 256mb version has faster (ddr2) chips and is stock at a much higher clock. those can be clocked past a 7600gt sometimes.

the 512 version won`t even come close.....

budget cards should never be bought with a lot of ram cause it generally makes the card even more slow. and i always think: if a 7900gt for example performs great with 256mb, why would a way slower card need more?

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
basicly when you buy a cheap card with a lot of ram it`s shitty ram.

i`m sorry, but you probably got what you payed for. allways do the research FOR the buying and read several reviews of hardware in your pricerange.

I actually did quite a bit of research before buying my card including a few posts on this very forum. due to budget, location & AGP limitations I made what I thought was an informed choice, the choice for me seem to be (at the time) 7600GS 256Mb for approx. £90 (UK AGP Price) or 7600GS 512Mb for approx £100 and as I couldn't afford a 'BIG' brand I couldn't see the point in saving £10 for the sake of 256Mb.

I have to admit that a least 2 people on this forum said I didn't need 512 but I thought that it 'couldn't do any harm' to have it. I never considered that the RAM would actually be slower than the 256Mb stuff.

Still, it works. It will play Oblivion & NWN2 so I suppose I should be thankful for that. :)

Anyone else thinking of buying a graphics card, find out everything you can! :?

Thanks All
NeilV