NT40 pdc upgrade

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can i do an inplace upgrade from nt40 server sp6 to w2k
server? How does this effect the PDC?? Does AD
automatically "turn on"?? How does this effect my current
NT4 servers, one being a BDC??

thx..

See:
How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"TOM" <nowbiteme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can i do an inplace upgrade from nt40 server sp6 to w2k
> server? How does this effect the PDC?? Does AD
> automatically "turn on"?? How does this effect my current
> NT4 servers, one being a BDC??
>
> thx..

If possible, get a new server (even a temporary "swing" box) and install it
as a BDC on your domain, patch it to the same level/SP6a. ...this way you
know it's clean. Then promote it to PDC. Then upgrade it to W2k. Then you
can upgrade your other servers....