Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D 915 OEM HSF High Idle Temp

Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2007 8:35:15 AM

Alright well as you can all see I registered since this is the first issue I have come across in quite some time. I am building a budget PC for my mom using a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Motherboard and a Pentium D 915 with stock heat sink and fan.

In the bios the damn thing idles anywhere fluctuating from 54ºC to 58ºC. I read on newegg that it is a good idea to strip the old thermal pad off of the heatsink and get some Silver 5 which I did. I applied the thermal grease and had the same results shown above and figured maybe I applied too much. Pulled everything apart and wiped down generously using a paper town and q-tips and reapplied less this time and the temps are still idling at the same.

Under the most load I can give it since I have not loaded windows yet I let it continue to search for an OS and the temp jumps up to 62º by the time I get back to the bios. I'm affraid of how hot it will get while loading windows or otherwise. I have to make sure this thing is stable and lasts along time before I ship it out 16+ hours away to be used by a novice.

WTF DO I DO?!

TIA

PS btw the fan speed according to the bios runs anywhere between 2400rpm and 2600rpm
March 2, 2007 11:55:34 AM

Based on my observation, when u r inside BIOS setup screen, CPU
utilization is very high (not sure why, may be all the power saving
features of the processor are not activated untill the OS loads
and initializes those settings. I may be wrong). Once you get into
OS, things settle down and the temperature will drop. So, nothing
to worry about the high temperatures that you see while in BIOS
setup screen.
March 2, 2007 1:00:32 PM

Exactly; all execution disable and power saving features are disabled and the CPU works almost @ the top gear in the bios setup, the only parts not working, are some specific parts like the SSE engines or FSB/HTT are not working hard (that's why the temp is not like on Prime95 load).
Related resources
March 3, 2007 2:08:48 PM

Quote:
Alright well as you can all see I registered since this is the first issue I have come across in quite some time. I am building a budget PC for my mom using a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Motherboard and a Pentium D 915 with stock heat sink and fan.

In the bios the damn thing idles anywhere fluctuating from 54ºC to 58ºC. I read on newegg that it is a good idea to strip the old thermal pad off of the heatsink and get some Silver 5 which I did. I applied the thermal grease and had the same results shown above and figured maybe I applied too much. Pulled everything apart and wiped down generously using a paper town and q-tips and reapplied less this time and the temps are still idling at the same.

Under the most load I can give it since I have not loaded windows yet I let it continue to search for an OS and the temp jumps up to 62º by the time I get back to the bios. I'm affraid of how hot it will get while loading windows or otherwise. I have to make sure this thing is stable and lasts along time before I ship it out 16+ hours away to be used by a novice.

WTF DO I DO?!

TIA

PS btw the fan speed according to the bios runs anywhere between 2400rpm and 2600rpm

Man, don't worry! I have Intel's Pentium 2.66 Ghz with stock heat sink and fan... And when idle, temp is around 48-50 degrees; but when processor is under 100% usage, temp raises up to 64...
I mention that fan speed is 2200 rpm.... Salute! :D 
March 3, 2007 4:57:05 PM

I'd say if all fails with that Stock HSF, try a 3rd party HSF.

Something like:

Thermaltake CL-P0370 92mm

Its basically a copy cat of the Artic freezer pro 7, which for some reason is $69 bucks.
March 3, 2007 9:09:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Well I sucked it up and went ahead and installed everything on that pc and set the bios to warn me if it went over 70 degrees. No warnings yet from the bios but I am concerned about temperature since this thing won't be in my hands for much longer and has to last forever. We already went over budget so I can't afford some fancy heatsink or anything but thanks for the great link on a good deal!

I see alot of people using intel TAT to monitor temps but I don't know where to find it. What can I find to monitor temps (that is accurate) since my bios seems to be off or wrong??
!