Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

W2k loading on laptop w/ aftermarket CD unit

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 4:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

My IBM560X has an aftermarket CD-RW unit via PC Card
interface. I want to load W2K Professional, overwriting
all data currently on harddrive. After starting W2K load,
system reboots and tries to continue W2k installation, but
the system no longer detects the CD-RW reader and
instantly ejects the CD. I cannot load the CD-RW driver
from floppy because W2K installation does not permit that
(cannot fine the installation file). So I cannot complete
W2K Pro loading. Also I cannot upgrade the Win98 (which
does have my CD-RW device driver loaded) because the Win98
installation got corrupted and W2K hangs up completely
during the compatability database build process. How can
I complete installation of W2K Pro on my laptop???

--Wilton
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:39:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

wiltonw

You will need a Win9x startup disk, a Win9x driver for your CD-RW and
SMARTDRV.EXE.

Boot from the diskette, and ensure that your CD-RW works, then copy the
i386-folder from your CD to the hard disk. Load SMARTDRV. Then start WINNT
from within the i386-folder on your hard disk to install Win2000 without
using the CD.

Best regards

Bjorn
--
Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

"wiltonw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My IBM560X has an aftermarket CD-RW unit via PC Card
>interface. I want to load W2K Professional, overwriting
>all data currently on harddrive. After starting W2K load,
>system reboots and tries to continue W2k installation, but
>the system no longer detects the CD-RW reader and
>instantly ejects the CD. I cannot load the CD-RW driver
>from floppy because W2K installation does not permit that
>(cannot fine the installation file). So I cannot complete
>W2K Pro loading. Also I cannot upgrade the Win98 (which
>does have my CD-RW device driver loaded) because the Win98
>installation got corrupted and W2K hangs up completely
>during the compatability database build process. How can
>I complete installation of W2K Pro on my laptop???
>
>--Wilton
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 11:30:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I tried starting from the boot diskette, but found
no 'i386' folder on my Win98 machine (upgraded from Win95)
to copy!

I also went to BOOTDISK.COM at IBM's suggestion, created a
4-floppy Win2K install set, but after loading all 4
floppies, the Win2k installation program could find no CD-
reader! My CD-RW connects via PC Card interface and under
Win98 it uses a Microsoft-provided driver, yet under Win2K
installation cannot detect it during the installation
process!

Fortunately I have my Win98 installation fully functional
once again, but I need to be able to have Win2k for my
daughter to use when she goes to college in two weeks,
because that is the minimum for the university to support!




>-----Original Message-----
>wiltonw
>
>You will need a Win9x startup disk, a Win9x driver for
your CD-RW and
>SMARTDRV.EXE.
>
>Boot from the diskette, and ensure that your CD-RW works,
then copy the
>i386-folder from your CD to the hard disk. Load SMARTDRV.
Then start WINNT
>from within the i386-folder on your hard disk to install
Win2000 without
>using the CD.
>
>Best regards
>
>Bjorn
>--
>Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
>Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
>
>"wiltonw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>My IBM560X has an aftermarket CD-RW unit via PC Card
>>interface. I want to load W2K Professional, overwriting
>>all data currently on harddrive. After starting W2K
load,
>>system reboots and tries to continue W2k installation,
but
>>the system no longer detects the CD-RW reader and
>>instantly ejects the CD. I cannot load the CD-RW driver
>>from floppy because W2K installation does not permit
that
>>(cannot fine the installation file). So I cannot
complete
>>W2K Pro loading. Also I cannot upgrade the Win98 (which
>>does have my CD-RW device driver loaded) because the
Win98
>>installation got corrupted and W2K hangs up completely
>>during the compatability database build process. How
can
>>I complete installation of W2K Pro on my laptop???
>>
>>--Wilton
>
>.
>
Related resources
August 18, 2004 2:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You load third party drivers by using F6 during the win2k install, if you
miss the prompt, install will fail

"wiltonw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7db201c48490$25ff9380$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> My IBM560X has an aftermarket CD-RW unit via PC Card
> interface. I want to load W2K Professional, overwriting
> all data currently on harddrive. After starting W2K load,
> system reboots and tries to continue W2k installation, but
> the system no longer detects the CD-RW reader and
> instantly ejects the CD. I cannot load the CD-RW driver
> from floppy because W2K installation does not permit that
> (cannot fine the installation file). So I cannot complete
> W2K Pro loading. Also I cannot upgrade the Win98 (which
> does have my CD-RW device driver loaded) because the Win98
> installation got corrupted and W2K hangs up completely
> during the compatability database build process. How can
> I complete installation of W2K Pro on my laptop???
>
> --Wilton
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:17:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

wiltonw

You need to, as I said in my previous message, copy the i386-folder from
your Win2000 CD to your hard disk. Then you'll find it there...

Best regards

Bjorn
--
Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

"wiltonw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried starting from the boot diskette, but found
>no 'i386' folder on my Win98 machine (upgraded from Win95)
>to copy!
>
>I also went to BOOTDISK.COM at IBM's suggestion, created a
>4-floppy Win2K install set, but after loading all 4
>floppies, the Win2k installation program could find no CD-
>reader! My CD-RW connects via PC Card interface and under
>Win98 it uses a Microsoft-provided driver, yet under Win2K
>installation cannot detect it during the installation
>process!
>
>Fortunately I have my Win98 installation fully functional
>once again, but I need to be able to have Win2k for my
>daughter to use when she goes to college in two weeks,
>because that is the minimum for the university to support!
>
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>wiltonw
>>
>>You will need a Win9x startup disk, a Win9x driver for
>your CD-RW and
>>SMARTDRV.EXE.
>>
>>Boot from the diskette, and ensure that your CD-RW works,
>then copy the
>>i386-folder from your CD to the hard disk. Load SMARTDRV.
>Then start WINNT
>>from within the i386-folder on your hard disk to install
>Win2000 without
>>using the CD.
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>>Bjorn
>>--
>>Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
>>Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
>>
>>"wiltonw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My IBM560X has an aftermarket CD-RW unit via PC Card
>>>interface. I want to load W2K Professional, overwriting
>>>all data currently on harddrive. After starting W2K
>load,
>>>system reboots and tries to continue W2k installation,
>but
>>>the system no longer detects the CD-RW reader and
>>>instantly ejects the CD. I cannot load the CD-RW driver
>>>from floppy because W2K installation does not permit
>that
>>>(cannot fine the installation file). So I cannot
>complete
>>>W2K Pro loading. Also I cannot upgrade the Win98 (which
>>>does have my CD-RW device driver loaded) because the
>Win98
>>>installation got corrupted and W2K hangs up completely
>>>during the compatability database build process. How
>can
>>>I complete installation of W2K Pro on my laptop???
>>>
>>>--Wilton
>>
>>.
>>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:17:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

But as I stated, there IS NO 'i386' folder on my
harddrive. You must mean a folder of a different name,
and if you provide a better name/description, I can copy
it. But with no other name, I have no clue what folder to
copy!

--Wilton

>-----Original Message-----
>wiltonw
>
>You need to, as I said in my previous message, copy the
i386-folder from
>your Win2000 CD to your hard disk. Then you'll find it
there...
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

As a lurker following the thread, I have to jump in before I scream
(just kidding (:-) )

Bjorn is saying " ... copy the i-386 folder FROM YOUR WIN2000 CD .. "
(that's *CD* NOT Hard Drive). You have to put the win2000 Cd in you
cdrom drive then look for the i386 folder on the CD then copy it to
you hard drive.



anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>
> But as I stated, there IS NO 'i386' folder on my
> harddrive. You must mean a folder of a different name,
> and if you provide a better name/description, I can copy
> it. But with no other name, I have no clue what folder to
> copy!
>
> --Wilton
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >wiltonw
> >
> >You need to, as I said in my previous message, copy the
> i386-folder from
> >your Win2000 CD to your hard disk. Then you'll find it
> there...
> >
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:30:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Wilton

While running Win98, insert your Win2000 CD. This CD is supposed to have a
root folder named "i386". Drag this folder from your CD to your hard disk.
This will create a folder on your hard disk with the same name, "i386",
with the same content as the one on your CD.

Best regards

Bjorn
--
Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>But as I stated, there IS NO 'i386' folder on my
>harddrive. You must mean a folder of a different name,
>and if you provide a better name/description, I can copy
>it. But with no other name, I have no clue what folder to
>copy!
>
>--Wilton
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>wiltonw
>>
>>You need to, as I said in my previous message, copy the
>i386-folder from
>>your Win2000 CD to your hard disk. Then you'll find it
>there...
>>
!