new 52wk low for AMD

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
14.36....nice.
They went up a bit at the start of the week too. Wonder what announcement they are going to make this weekend? :D

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I'm betting they'll announce something regarding notebooks and the mobile space. That's always a good way to get attention nowadays.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'm betting they'll announce something regarding notebooks and the mobile space. That's always a good way to get attention nowadays.

That's a good bet. The 690G for mobile is about to be released with support for DDR2 800. I would guess theyare waiting for the new 65nm Turions.

sailer

Splendid
14.36....nice.
They went up a bit at the start of the week too. Wonder what announcement they are going to make this weekend? :D

Perhaps they'll send a coupon to buy rope so the stockholders can hang themselves, or two bullets, one for each foot.

sailer

Splendid
So this means it can only get better right? :wink:

Unfortunately no. Every stock I own is taking a beating. When my losses for the day passed a thousand, I stopped watching and had to take a breather. Taking a six pack wouldn't be bad either. I'm a contrarion investor, so I like buying when the market goes down, but the past few days have been insane. HOW FAR DOWN IS DOWN?

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hmmm.... analyst recommendations since Jan... all downgrades

24-Jan-07 Friedman Billings Underperform
24-Jan-07 Credit Suisse Underperform
24-Jan-07 Am Tech/JSA R Sell
24-Jan-07 Caris & Company Above Average
12-Jan-07 Citigroup Hold
12-Jan-07 Prudential Underweight
12-Jan-07 Bear Stearns Peer Perform
3-Jan-07 Goldman Sachs Sell

sailer

Splendid
compare it to past trends. and allow your mind to guesstimate the resurgence.

With AMD they will need to shut the hell up about intel to make any headway. I would fire all of them or send them to counseling.How do you compete with Intel when you only stare at them and not the workload?

I need 50 billion dollars :twisted: buy them out and lay down the law.

Fire them? I'd make them walk the plank and let them take counseling from the sharks. Then I'd tell their replacements to come up with something good or join their predecessors. :twisted: :twisted: Its not just about Intel either. Some have said that they're holding off on the R600 so they can introduce a complete line of low, mid, and high range cards all at once. In the meantime they needlessly loose sales, and sales mean income and AMD needs income desperately.

As for past stock trends, there are few to compare with. If the present keeps up much longer, I fear we're going to have a major recession like Greenspan predicted. He's a much bigger influence then I like, even if he's no longer in office. To make it worse, if he'd said the reverse, that the country was headed into economic growth this summer, the stocks would probably do ok despite what's happening over in China, etc.

sailer

Splendid
I was refering to all my stocks going down, even Exxon. I own stock in several companies and range them from secure to midrange to gambling. Everything is down and falling, not just AMD.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I really haven't followed AMD stock specifically... took a deeper look today.

If it hits $11 per share... I'd be tempted. If it hit $5-7 per share, I'd be all over it. 8)

@$14... still seams a little pricey.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I really haven't followed AMD stock specifically... took a deeper look today.

If it hits $11 per share... I'd be tempted. If it hit $5-7 per share, I'd be all over it. 8)

@$14... still seams a little pricey.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=132773

Read this .

Stocks are going down for lack of pcie 1.1 support on new gfx cards. They have effectively killed themselves.

I think the average broker isn't going to know or care about specifications on the particular product. I know everyone here does, but brokers look at the larger picture.

A single graphic card rollout is not going to account for a wipe out of > 5 Billion in market value.

Delays + merger integration + competition gains + weak cashflow = very nervous fund managers.

Edit: I just hope it gets much worse, before it gets better. Otherwise I have no entry point into this stock. I'm not prepared to jump in at $14... risk vs. reward ratio is not enough at that point.

sailer

Splendid
I don't get it. How can anybody be that stupid. Are they insane, do they have such good golden parachutes they don't care, or are they secretly taking money from Intel and Nvidia? Whatever, either they have a death wish for the company or they've spent too much time in la-la land.

sailer

Splendid
Why would they want to do that? Surely a buyout would be a bad thing :?

One possibility is if they had an opportunity to then exercise stock options and buy the stock at a discounted price, rather than at a higher price that normally would occur. Problem is, that is the type of thing that could spur an investigation and land them in jail for a long time for manipulating the market if they got caught. I think its the FTC that has been investigating and charges against a number of people who have been caught and charged with insider trading and manipulating the market. Why do people still do such things? Either because they think they can get away with it, or they're stupid.

Granted, other possibilities no doubt exist.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I hear if you buy out AMD right now you get a free:

"I bought the world's #2 MicroProcessor company and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" T-Shirt

However if you wait until Jan 2008 you get a K10 that is 40% slower than an Intel Penryn.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
wouldnt it be good if they cut their company in half, one half merging with gigabyte united, and the other half on its own? that way, theyll have more coverage on everything!

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
wouldnt it be good if they cut their company in half, one half merging with gigabyte united, and the other half on its own? that way, theyll have more coverage on everything!

Great, then AMD could run ATI and Gigabyte into the ground. Combined you could have the 3 major components of your computer constantly be pushed back from their release date, then paper launch, and then not perform and 1/5th the level AMD said they would before their launch.

Never wish that upon the best MB manufacturer.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
I too would like to buy some amd stock in the future, i think its going to go alot higher some day - but the question how much lower it going first. How long before it starts to go up - 6 months or 2 years?

risk one - r600 - the spin that amd wants to release the low mid and high cards at once is what is delaying the r600 is bs. r600 is a risk

risk two - is the delays in died shrinkage and lack of a quad core solution that fits in one socket. with the $500 quad core to debut in April this is major lost ground - risk 2 is there a problem with the new chips?

as the finical reporters like to say "amd is falling a knief" - buying the stock is trying to catch the handle

we be looking for the "dead cat bounce" - as they used to say!

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
After reading the comments, and to be fair to AMD, Mr. Ou apparently has a reputation of having a pro Intel bias. I like that Ou gets in there and defends his posts with passion. The arguments made against him are very similar to the those one hears over here.

I've never liked AMD's agressive PR, both when they were on top and now. However that won't affect my purchasing decisions. I'll faithfully wait for R600 and compare it to Nvidia's offerings and if they're equally matched I'll pick AMD. I'll use that tactical pro AMD bias when choosing GPUs. I suspect they want to sell a ton of them since they've opened up Crossfire to all platforms, even the Mac. That was a good tactical move.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Stocks are going down for lack of pcie 1.1 support on new gfx cards. They have effectively killed themselves.
We will see 9 or 10 this year. AMD just cant get it together or they are looking for a partner buyout.

I agree. They have nothing new coming out for months. I can't see how they can get any better till september at least. Profit margins must be minimal at the moment too!
Barca will have to kick intels ass, but i don't really see that happening. Intel will up the clocks, then penryn...I can't see AMD taking the lead by a large margin, and if they do i doubt it will be for long.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
This editorial today doesn't help: "Is AMD being hypocritical about benchmark ethics?"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=438&tag=nl.e622

Ouch!

This is getting rediculous. What a way to spoil barcelonas release. time to get rid of the tech planners and the executive staff or shut them up.

Thats just embarrassing.

I dont know about the tech planners, maybe maybe not. Depends on how much autonomy they had and how much "we dont care just get it done" they had to deal with. Im am in full concurance with executive staff though.

I cant help but wonder how big the fall out from the benchmark "incident" will get and how will impacts the boards view of Henri and Hector, and if it will impact the stocks at all.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Eric at barrons has issued a downgrade on AMD again.Will the idiocy ever end? not erics but AMD's. Eric is pretty tuned in.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/03/01/amd-bear-stearns-chops-estimates-sees-disappointing-demand-and-lower-stock-price/

Remember That i said 9-13 as a target through mid year. There are alot of AMD fanboys in stocks too.

Yep, like I said... the only way I get in is if it hits $5-7. The upside from there warrants the risk. I'm just not sure if it will go that low... need a few more blunders :wink: