Sign in with
Your question

New Intel Build... what do you think? (Built!!!)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
  • Processors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2007 2:23:11 PM

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor

MotherBoard:
GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Video Card:
EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express

To save some money i might drop down to the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model we will see

I already have the other componets.. I AM looking to overclock... would like to hit 3+ Ghz!!

Ok Tell me what you think?

More about : intel build built

March 2, 2007 2:28:09 PM

Should hit 3.0 ghz no problem. Good choices there too!

You should consider getting an aftermarket CPU heatsink though to keep it cooler and quieter. Spend the $40, it'll be well worth your money. Look at a Scythe Ninja or Infinity for quieter, a Tuniq Tower for top performance. All are very good and reasonably priced. Good luck finding the Tuniq in stock though......
March 2, 2007 3:42:06 PM

Quote:

You should consider getting an aftermarket CPU heatsink though to keep it cooler and quieter. Spend the $40, it'll be well worth your money. Look at a Scythe Ninja or Infinity for quieter, a Tuniq Tower for top performance. All are very good and reasonably priced. Good luck finding the Tuniq in stock though......

Yea i definitely planned on getting an aftermarket cooler!!
Related resources
March 2, 2007 3:57:41 PM

I have the same setup and I am enjoying it. Be careful with the 965G setup as it limits overclocking some. If you have the 8800 you might want to consider the 965P to get better numbers. Do some research on fsb limits with the 965G. Also, the northbridge gets super hot so think about what you need with ventilation, especially since you are taking the stock vertical cooler off.
March 2, 2007 4:04:37 PM

Yeah I heard the 965G is a poor overclocker because it doesn't have the option to lock in PCI bus frequency. Thus when you want to OC the FSB, you bring the PCI bus along with it, and that just won't do.
March 2, 2007 4:18:39 PM

Actually, I was going to ask if the OP had simply made a mistake by listing the
GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
when what he really meant to include was the
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard .

Why would you want to get a mobo with integrated graphics ... especially when they might limit your OC ... when you are also getting a
EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express ?
Sorta like buying a sports car and hooking a volkswagon beetle behind it "as a spare". :? :) 

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy-in-transition dinosaur
March 2, 2007 4:28:29 PM

I like it because Im not a huge oc'er and I am waiting to learn what I need out of video card.
March 2, 2007 4:33:15 PM

Quote:
Why would you want to get a mobo with integrated graphics ... especially when they might limit your OC

Well if it was only a little more expensive and had no bearing on OC, I'd recommend getting integrated graphics. Just in case something goes wrong and you want to check if it's your graphics card, and your card does suddenly croak, at least you can use integrated until you go buy a new one.
March 2, 2007 4:33:33 PM

Quote:
I heard the 965G is a poor overclocker because it doesn't have the option to lock in PCI bus frequency. Thus when you want to OC the FSB, you bring the PCI bus along with it, and that just won't do.

I've been wondering about something like that while experimenting with the rev 3.3 GA-965P-DS3 I got a week ago.

When I increase the FSB and leave the BIOS setting for the PCIe bus speed at "Auto" (the default) the system seems to hang. (It hangs while I'm in the BIOS! 8O :?) However, when I over-ride the PCIe setting and set it to "100MHz" then I don't seem to have problems.

All this makes me wonder just what "Auto" for the PCIe bus speed means in the GA-965P-DS3 (F10) BIOS. :?

If it's true that you can't control the PCIe bus speed at all in the 965G-DS3, then that would indeed be a very bad thing for anyone who wanted to OC. :( 

March 2, 2007 4:38:25 PM

Personally, when overclocking I don't trust anything 'auto' in the bios. My 680i seems to go rather gung-ho on the auto voltages.
March 2, 2007 4:45:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think he meant to choose the 965P, an honest mistake.

If you dont need raid, take a look at the S3, its just as good in my opinion and cheaper.

Good Catch i did mean the 965P instead.. I do plan on running RAID 0

Thanks for all the Great info!!
March 2, 2007 4:52:57 PM

Quote:

how heavy is the tuniq anyway?
the heaviest thing I've used was a Vortex TX pure copper.
March 2, 2007 4:53:51 PM

Quote:
Why would you want to get a mobo with integrated graphics ... especially when they might limit your OC

Well if it was only a little more expensive and had no bearing on OC, I'd recommend getting integrated graphics.
Yepper. The critical assumption here is that going with the integrated graphics will have no bearing on the OC. But I get the impression from what (little) I've read that the IG does seem to have an impact on the ability to OC.

I also think/guess/speculate that Gigabyte is more likely to release updates for the 965P DS3 than for the 965G DS3 or even the 965P S3. I don't know this of course, but a big part of the reason why I decided to go with the DS3 over the S3 is because I believe this to be the case. :roll:

Quote:
Just in case something goes wrong and you want to check if it's your graphics card, and your card does suddenly croak, at least you can use integrated until you go buy a new one.

One of the few advantages to being a pack-rat dinosaur is that you sometimes have options. In my case if I was wondering about my PCIe video card I'd be able to plug in an old S3 Trio64V+ PCI bus video card. I actually did this when powering up my DS3 for the first time. Figured if something was going to go very very wrong it would be better to not have the PCIe graphics card plugged in if/when it did. :wink:

The old S3 video card still works. And as a perk, the drivers for it are "now" included with XP. Whoop-dee-frickin'-do, eh?

But I digress ... :) 

March 2, 2007 5:03:24 PM

Quote:
i did mean the 965P instead.. I do plan on running RAID 0

Glad to hear it! I think you'll be happier.

FWIW about RAID ... I don't actually do RAID so I'm can't give you any info about RAID on the DS3 from personal experience. However I believe the only RAID support available on the DS3 and S3 is via the so-called Gigabyte (aka JMicron) SATA ports. These are the two "purple" ports on the DS3.

The Southbridge on the DS3 and S3 is the Intel ICH8 not the ICH8R. Only the ICH8R supports RAID.

March 2, 2007 5:10:32 PM

Quote:
i did mean the 965P instead.. I do plan on running RAID 0

Glad to hear it! I think you'll be happier.

FWIW about RAID ... I don't actually do RAID so I'm can't give you any info about RAID on the DS3 from personal experience. However I believe the only RAID support available on the DS3 and S3 is via the so-called Gigabyte (aka JMicron) SATA ports. These are the two "purple" ports on the DS3.

The Southbridge on the DS3 and S3 is the Intel ICH8 not the ICH8R. Only the ICH8R supports RAID.

I currently Run Raid 0 for my OS and Games this is my current setup:

AMD Opteron 175 Denmark Socket 939 OCed @ 2.6GHZ
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX
G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR 500 x 2
GeForce 7600 GT OC PCI Express X 2 in SLI Mode
2 X 250gig Western Digital SATA HD in RAID 0 (OS)
200gig Seagate SATA HD (STORAGE)
250gig Seagate SATA HD (STORAGE)
300gig Western Digital SATA HD (STORAGE)
19in Flat Screen X 3
March 2, 2007 5:42:58 PM

Quote:
I currently Run Raid 0 for my OS and Games

Well, technically you should still be able to run a two drive RAID 0 configuration using the JMicron SATA ports on the DS3. The DS3's user manual claims that it supports RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD for the two purple SATA ports. However, you may have to face some "issues".

The most likely problem I see is that you probably will not be able to simply move your hard drives from your old system to the DS3 and expect your RAID 0 configuration to work. I think RAID implementations are all specific to the controllers used. So what you would probably have to do is 1) back up your data from your existing RAID 0 setup, 2) connect the drives to the DS3 and recreate a RAID 0 configuration, and finally 3) restore your data to the DS3 RAID 0 configuration.

FWIW, an experience similar to this is what soured my view of RAID. I find RAID 0 to be a nice perk as long as it is working and you don't have to mess with it. But if you need to migrate the setup or otherwise change anything about it, the process of doing this can very quickly become painful.

The other potential problem might be a problem accessing the PATA (optical?) drives at full speed when RAID is enabled on the JMicron. Supposedly the PATA drives would be limited to PIO mode when RAID was active. I don't know if this is still a problem with the current BIOS and hardware revisions for the DS3. Hopefully someone else will be able to speak about this issue from experience.

Of course, if you're one of the lucky few who has a SATA optical drive, then you don't have to worry about this. :) 

-john
March 2, 2007 5:47:33 PM

The Tuniq is heavy.....800g without a fan. But all tower-style coolers are. But they are also the best at cooling......that's part of the tradeoff. But all of them are being used by TONS of people without problem. Just don't lift and drop your case or move it all the time and you'll be fine ;) 
March 6, 2007 9:02:10 PM

Good board. Better layout than the DS3 since the IDE header is at the right side instead of at the bottom. They've done a smart move and made the floppy header at the bottom instead, since nobody uses floppies anymore.

The only real negative is that it doesn't overclock the best.....so for OC'ing most people get a DS3 in that price range. But for a non-overclocking board, there are MUCH cheaper options, like the MSI Neo-F. So it's a bit of a lame duck unfortunately......better board choices for OC'ing, and cheaper board choices for non-OC'ing....
March 6, 2007 11:42:32 PM

Quote:
Good board. Better layout than the DS3 since the IDE header is at the right side instead of at the bottom. They've done a smart move and made the floppy header at the bottom instead, since nobody uses floppies anymore.

The only real negative is that it doesn't overclock the best.....so for OC'ing most people get a DS3 in that price range. But for a non-overclocking board, there are MUCH cheaper options, like the MSI Neo-F. So it's a bit of a lame duck unfortunately......better board choices for OC'ing, and cheaper board choices for non-OC'ing....

I am Definitely going to over clock.. i want to hit over 3Ghz 3.2 3.3 or higher if possible. any other suggestions on what a good board would be that would let me really push the overclock
March 7, 2007 12:43:21 AM

Depends on your budget......

Gigabyte 965P-DS3. Proven champ. Overclocks past 450 FSB without breaking a sweat, isn't picky about RAM or timings, stable, decent board layout (except for IDE header is at bottom instead of right side....they shoulda swapped floppy and IDE positions), can upgrade to a quad-core with it later, solid state capacitors, and won't break the bank. Highly recommended around these forums, lots of us have it (check our sigs, mine too) and can vouch that it's an affordable winner.

ASUS P5B Deluxe. Dual PCI-e slots, FSB hits very high numbers (over 500 FSB), heatpipes, great OC controls. A bit touchy with RAM and costs more, but a quality board and OC'ing champ.

Those are probably the 2 most highly recommended boards around here. Both are good, but pricing is a fair bit different.
March 11, 2007 10:43:10 PM

Well after much advice from everone on here my new system in and built.. i am currently running at 3ghz on stock cooling.. i have had prime 95 running on both cores for about 2hrs now.... voltage is at 1.31. during prime temps peak at about 53C but average about 49...

I plan on getting an aftermarket cpu cooler soon...
March 11, 2007 10:45:18 PM

Those temps are fine. Nice......
March 11, 2007 11:44:16 PM

Quote:
Well after much advice from everone on here my new system in and built

:!: Great :!: .... but ... What did system did you finally decide to get? The Gigabyte DS3? Which CPU? And what I'm probably most curious about ... even though it has the least relevance to how I have my own system laid out :)  ... what happened with your plans for using RAID? And how did you migrate your data from your old RAID setup to the new system?

-john, the curiously redundant legacy-in-transition dinosaur
March 12, 2007 12:44:35 AM

Quote:
Well after much advice from everone on here my new system in and built.. i am currently running at 3ghz on stock cooling.. i have had prime 95 running on both cores for about 2hrs now.... voltage is at 1.31. during prime temps peak at about 53C but average about 49...

oo!
What's it like? :D 
Don't suppose you're running vista there and can report a good experience?
March 12, 2007 2:24:41 AM

Quote:
Well after much advice from everone on here my new system in and built

:!: Great :!: .... but ... What did system did you finally decide to get? The Gigabyte DS3? Which CPU? And what I'm probably most curious about ... even though it has the least relevance to how I have my own system laid out :)  ... what happened with your plans for using RAID? And how did you migrate your data from your old RAID setup to the new system?

-john, the curiously redundant legacy-in-transition dinosaur

LOL..that may help huh?? Ok so here is the setup:
CPU: Intel 486DX
Board...lol

CPU: E6400
MotherBoard: Gigbyte GA-965P-DS3
Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB
BFG 8800GTS

I am running a raid 0. I didn't migrate anything over..all my data is backed up so i don't mind reinstalling everything. I am hoping with some 3rd party cooling to hit 3.4ish maybe higher.. we shall see.. i might have to invest in some faster memory. I am really happy with the build.. it puts my other system to shame..and that was a sweet one too:
AMD Opteron 175 Denmark Socket 939 OCed @ 2.6GHZ
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX
G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR 500 x 2
GeForce 7600 GT OC PCI Express X 2 in SLI Mode
2 X 250gig Western Digital SATA HD in RAID 0 (OS)
March 12, 2007 2:26:38 AM

Quote:

oo!
What's it like? :D 
Don't suppose you're running vista there and can report a good experience?

I have vista but its not installed yet... i set up a dual boot setup on the raid0 one for xp pro and games the other for vista business and my business software.. ill let you know the vista rating after its installed
March 13, 2007 12:23:56 AM

Vista Index score

Processor: 5.7
Memory: 5.6
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.9
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
March 13, 2007 12:33:32 AM

Not sure what they mean but I think the scores are on a 1-6 scale with 6 being tops. In other Words, You got a great system!! 8O
March 13, 2007 2:53:08 AM

6.0 is tops for all current and soon-upcoming-next-gen hardware.

So you got a great system!
March 13, 2007 3:07:32 AM

Quote:

Umm yeah, the Tuniq is $65, and it's in stock at da Egg.
March 13, 2007 3:11:04 AM

BTW, your overall is 5.6. God that's so stupid, I have only 1 GB of memory and my overall is 4.5! GAH!!! :lol:  LOL
March 13, 2007 8:50:32 AM

Thanks,
I take it you pop in another module and your memory score goes up to 6 right? :lol: 
March 13, 2007 12:48:23 PM

Quote:

Umm yeah, the Tuniq is $65, and it's in stock at da Egg.

I was actually thinking of going with something like this:
Corsair Nautilus500 External CPU Water Cooling Kit
March 13, 2007 2:10:51 PM

Sorry, I'm working in Canadian prices. We have stuff in stock and cheaper in many cases here. Arctic Cooler is only $25, Tuniq was on sale for $41, regular $48 (which is only $41 US ;)  )

One of the rare instances where we don't get price gouged and can beat the Yanks in pricing LOL.
!