Ivy Bridge vs Sandy bridge. Wait or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello,
I'm not really good at finding information about the new Ivy-bridge.. What I would like to know is:
Should I wait for Ivy bridge and buy an I7-3770K? Or just pick 2600K now?

Will IvyBridge be much better than SandyBridge, and will it be worth the money?

I'm not sure what the prices will be. But if I have €500 for: Motherboard, Proccessor and liquid Cooling (Liquid cooling probably some Intel liquid cooling thermal solution about €80) what should i do?

And what IvyBridge will compare, or be much of an increasement for the i7 2600K, and in what pricerange?

When will they come out? April, May, June??

Afterall.. what will be the Socket.. i have seen some have 1155 and some with 2011.. Don't know wich one is right now.. :p

Solution
You should wait for Ivy-bridge.Ivy bridge is better than Sandy bridge in every aspect.
1. More efficient
2. Create less heat.
3. PCI express 3.0 support
4. 20% more performance.
5. Same price.
6. greater overclockability.
from what we are hearing exactly the same price, so maybe +/- 10% when drops in SB are taken into account.

Can you wait?, that's up to you.

One thing is that its hotter than SB, low powered but a smaller surface area to get rid of the heat, so its runs a little hotter.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I'm getting liquid cooled so I should be able to keep the temp low enough.
But i'm most likely just going to wait, since i'm already planning on buying GTX680 SLI with it. I think i'm going to wait for GTX680 Classified Ultra as well, to put them in SLI.

Last question:
What socket do I need for 3770K? And what chipset should I get? I'm was thinking of buying: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Moederborden_Socket_1155/ASUS/MAXIMUS_IV_EXTREME_-=Rev.3.0=-/526166/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Moederborden&l2=Intel&l3=Socket+1155
but I guess there will appear some new nice Mobo's when IvyBridge releases?
But main question: is 3770K 1155 or 2011?

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

U mean why I pick factory liquid cooler, instead of building one?
well mainly because i have 0 experience with that, it will probably cost a lot more, and it will need more space for Reservoir and so? i'm not sure..
But if u know a way or place where i can build that for cheaper, and perhaps better, and a beginners tutorial would be needed :p

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

Well, I did search a bit. And found out that the delay is only for Mobile Processors, and the Desktop CPU's will be release 29 April?

akhilmangala

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You should wait for Ivy-bridge.Ivy bridge is better than Sandy bridge in every aspect.
1. More efficient
2. Create less heat.
3. PCI express 3.0 support
4. 20% more performance.
5. Same price.
6. greater overclockability.

Solution

game junky

Distinguished
Ivy will be better across the board, as we hope every new processor revision should be. If you need to build something now, Sandy E or the 2600k/2700k will have plenty of horsepower and multitasking capability but since it's only a month out I would just hold onto my cash.

Worst case scenario, the price of 1155/2011 socket mobos/procs drops by $10-25 each and you get a deal for waiting patiently. PCIe 3.0 is the big reason I would wait if it's for gaming - spending $1000 just for a proc and motherboard is ridiculous.

G

And this is where you were wrong.
1. Perhaps.
2. Wrong, creates more heat.
3. 1155 motherboards also have PCIE 3.0 support
4. More or less 5-10% in the average tasks. Slightly more in some tasks.
5. Bingo!
6. Absolutely wrong. Due to the intense heat the Ivy creates, it does not at all overclock as well. 4.8 is rated very good for Ivy and for that you must have decent wc-setup, vs. 5.0 GHz is rated good/average for SB and can be achieved with high end air cooler.

4.5 out of 6 were wrong and yet it was voted the best answer.

Tinyplaces

Honorable
May 5, 2012
And this is where you were wrong.
1. Perhaps.
2. Wrong, creates more heat.
3. 1155 motherboards also have PCIE 3.0 support
4. More or less 5-10% in the average tasks. Slightly more in some tasks.
5. Bingo!
6. Absolutely wrong. Due to the intense heat the Ivy creates, it does not at all overclock as well. 4.8 is rated very good for Ivy and for that you must have decent wc-setup, vs. 5.0 GHz is rated good/average for SB and can be achieved with high end air cooler.

4.5 out of 6 were wrong and yet it was voted the best answer.

Maybe you should look at the date of the posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.