File Explorer hangs

May 30, 2005 3:29:49 PM

I have an O2 XDA II PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 (4.20.0 build 13252).

For some reason, when I try to copy, move, or delete files with File
Explorer, it just hangs with the colour wheel. This happens to files on the
external memory card, as well as things that are in internal memory, e.g.,
the "My Documents" folder.

The only way to fix it, is to do a soft-reset by poking the reset button.
Once it's reset, when I go back to File Explorer, the file does seem to have
been copied, moved or deleted.

Is there some way to fix this annoyance? I have even done a hard reset, re-
installed all the apps, and that doesn't seem to fix it.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Thanks,
-lyj

More about : file explorer hangs

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:46:49 PM

Hello,

Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications is
often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>I have an O2 XDA II PocketPC with Windows Mobile 2003 (4.20.0 build 13252).
>
> For some reason, when I try to copy, move, or delete files with File
> Explorer, it just hangs with the colour wheel. This happens to files on
> the
> external memory card, as well as things that are in internal memory, e.g.,
> the "My Documents" folder.
>
> The only way to fix it, is to do a soft-reset by poking the reset button.
> Once it's reset, when I go back to File Explorer, the file does seem to
> have
> been copied, moved or deleted.
>
> Is there some way to fix this annoyance? I have even done a hard reset,
> re-
> installed all the apps, and that doesn't seem to fix it.
>
> If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> -lyj

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:20:51 PM

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in news:ekdtxfUZFHA.1384
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Hello,
>
> Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications is
> often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.
>
> Regards,

It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and only
20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the Memory
applet in Settings.

May 30, 2005 7:51:41 PM

Hello,

Do you have a number of large files in My Documents? By large I mean 2+ MB
in size... This too can cause issues in File Manager as well. Which
version of Pocket PC / Windows Mobile are you using and on which device?

Regards,

--

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in news:ekdtxfUZFHA.1384
> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications is
>> often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and only
> 20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the Memory
> applet in Settings.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:42:36 AM

"LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in news:ekdtxfUZFHA.1384
> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications is
>> often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and only
> 20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the Memory
> applet in Settings.

Do you have a memory card? How is it formatted.

I recently noticed if I format my 256meg sd card with too small of a cluster
size it really hangs up the explorer badly.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:42:37 AM

Chance,

Interesting observation... What cluster size did you use that was such an
issue for your device? Is your PPC WM2K3?

Thanks... I want to experiement on this as well! :-D

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o TfJHHYZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in news:ekdtxfUZFHA.1384
>> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications is
>>> often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and only
>> 20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the Memory
>> applet in Settings.
>>

> Do you have a memory card? How is it formatted.
>
> I recently noticed if I format my 256meg sd card with too small of a
> cluster size it really hangs up the explorer badly.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:03:56 PM

<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Chance,
>
> Interesting observation... What cluster size did you use that was such an
> issue for your device?

My 256 meg card I had formatted as fat32 with 512k cluster size. I did this
to make sure I didn't "waste space" as I have many small files. It really
seems to take a long time for it to read through all the clusters. I changed
it to fat16 with 4K clusters and the performance dramatically changed for
the better.

I just got a new 1gig card and it won't let me go below 16K clusters with
fat16.

I'm using this program to do the formatting:

http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html

(there is a free trial, assuming you aren't farmiliar with it already)

> Is your PPC WM2K3?

Yes.

> Thanks... I want to experiement on this as well! :-D

NP, have fun.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o TfJHHYZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
>>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in
>>> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

>>> It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and only
>>> 20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the
>>> Memory
>>> applet in Settings.
>>>

>> Do you have a memory card? How is it formatted.
>>
>> I recently noticed if I format my 256meg sd card with too small of a
>> cluster size it really hangs up the explorer badly.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:03:57 PM

Chance,

Thanks for the information on this.

Yes, I'm familar with Soft Winter. They make some great stuff.

Regards,

--

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Chance,
>>
>> Interesting observation... What cluster size did you use that was such
>> an issue for your device?
>
> My 256 meg card I had formatted as fat32 with 512k cluster size. I did
> this to make sure I didn't "waste space" as I have many small files. It
> really seems to take a long time for it to read through all the clusters.
> I changed it to fat16 with 4K clusters and the performance dramatically
> changed for the better.
>
> I just got a new 1gig card and it won't let me go below 16K clusters with
> fat16.
>
> I'm using this program to do the formatting:
>
> http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html
>
> (there is a free trial, assuming you aren't farmiliar with it already)
>
>> Is your PPC WM2K3?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Thanks... I want to experiement on this as well! :-D
>
> NP, have fun.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>

>> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o TfJHHYZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message

>>> Do you have a memory card? How is it formatted.
>>>
>>> I recently noticed if I format my 256meg sd card with too small of a
>>> cluster size it really hangs up the explorer badly.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:04:03 PM

news:o LhxjlVZFHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Hello,
>
> Do you have a number of large files in My Documents? By large I mean 2+
> MB in size... This too can cause issues in File Manager as well. Which
> version of Pocket PC / Windows Mobile are you using and on which device?
>
> Regards,

The largest file I have in "My Documents" is 41.3K. It's the default
"dogbark" file that comes with Windows Mobile 2003. I have an O2 XDA II.

-lyj

May 31, 2005 3:07:27 PM

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:o TfJHHYZFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in
>> news:ekdtxfUZFHA.1384 @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is your device low on main memory? Odd behavior in many applications
>>> is often - but not always - related to limited memory being available.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> It's not too bad. Main Program Memory is allocated at 62.93MB, and
>> only 20.38MB is in use. The free memory is 42.55MB, as reported by the
>> Memory applet in Settings.
>>

> Do you have a memory card? How is it formatted.
>
> I recently noticed if I format my 256meg sd card with too small of a
> cluster size it really hangs up the explorer badly.

I do have a memory card. It's a SanDisk 1GB card. I have no idea how I
formatted it. It's reported as "FAT" in Computer Management when I put it
into my card reader. So, I suppose it's FAT16.

As for cluster size, I have no idea either.

However, the problem with hanging not only have problems with the SD card.
Moving or deleting files in internal memory also has problems.

Thanks,
-lyj