Funnest thing about HDTV :-)

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 26, 2004 6:55:00 PM

I'm sure almost everyone has experienced this.

After getting your first HDTV, STB, HD service, etc, you get everything
working the way you want.

You are very happy with everything and so amazed at the quality of HD that
you watch shows that you normally wouldn't watch if they weren't in HD.

All is great -- and then one of your non-HDTV friends comes over while you
are watching "Discovery HD Theater". He (or she) knows nothing about High
Definition (including even the existance of) and simply reduces all the
resources and time you invested with HD by commenting, "Thats a nice
picture. Is that on DVD?" :-)

More about : funnest thing hdtv

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:09:25 PM

And just try to explain the HD resolutions, aspect ratios and such, watch
them lose interest. Ha Ha. Another thing I think is funny:

How many of your wives have called you at work because they can't figure out
how to watch TV?

I don't mean to say that my wife is stupid, in fact she is quite smart, but
this whole home theatre thing is getting to a point where the casual TV
watcher doesn't have a chance of properly setting up or even USING the
complicated AV systems. And my setup is VERY small compared to some, the TV
has 7 inputs and an NTSC tuner, a small PC with ATSC tuner/capture card,
chipped Xbox, voom box.

I need one of those Sony remotes with macros and touch screen.

--Dan

"Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
> I'm sure almost everyone has experienced this.
>
> After getting your first HDTV, STB, HD service, etc, you get everything
> working the way you want.
>
> You are very happy with everything and so amazed at the quality of HD that
> you watch shows that you normally wouldn't watch if they weren't in HD.
>
> All is great -- and then one of your non-HDTV friends comes over while you
> are watching "Discovery HD Theater". He (or she) knows nothing about High
> Definition (including even the existance of) and simply reduces all the
> resources and time you invested with HD by commenting, "Thats a nice
> picture. Is that on DVD?" :-)

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:53:31 AM

dg wrote:

> And just try to explain the HD resolutions, aspect ratios and such, watch
> them lose interest. Ha Ha. Another thing I think is funny:
>
> How many of your wives have called you at work because they can't figure out
> how to watch TV?
>
> I don't mean to say that my wife is stupid, in fact she is quite smart, but
> this whole home theatre thing is getting to a point where the casual TV
> watcher doesn't have a chance of properly setting up or even USING the
> complicated AV systems. And my setup is VERY small compared to some, the TV
> has 7 inputs and an NTSC tuner, a small PC with ATSC tuner/capture card,
> chipped Xbox, voom box.
>
> I need one of those Sony remotes with macros and touch screen.

No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
jump through just to do anything.

What you need is the Harmony SST-659 from Intrigue Technologies. They
were just bought by Logitech, but they make the best remote on the
planet. There's also a new model called the SST-688. Take the "test dive".

Want to watch TV? Push the "Watch TV" button. Want to watch a movie,
push the "Watch a movie" button. This remote has the highest WAF around
(Wife Approval Factor). Anyone can use this remote once you set it up.

Check it out here....

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?REF=CRID=2078&CRID=20...
August 29, 2004 4:53:32 AM

"Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com> wrote in message
> dg wrote:
>
>> And just try to explain the HD resolutions, aspect ratios and such, watch
>> them lose interest. Ha Ha. Another thing I think is funny:
>>
>> How many of your wives have called you at work because they can't figure
>> out
>> how to watch TV?
>>
>> I don't mean to say that my wife is stupid, in fact she is quite smart,
>> but
>> this whole home theatre thing is getting to a point where the casual TV
>> watcher doesn't have a chance of properly setting up or even USING the
>> complicated AV systems. And my setup is VERY small compared to some, the
>> TV
>> has 7 inputs and an NTSC tuner, a small PC with ATSC tuner/capture card,
>> chipped Xbox, voom box.
>>
>> I need one of those Sony remotes with macros and touch screen.
>
> No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
> use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
> jump through just to do anything.

I agree

my wife got me one for christmas a few years ago... true, it can run
everything from one remote but it is incredibly difficult to set up for
situational use.

And I mean not set up as in to program (which is very tough - and I am a EE
with extensive human-machine interface experience), I mean set up as in to
use the remote to reconfigure various components to handle a specific task
such as go from watching cable HD on the TV speakers to watching a DVD with
THX home theater surround sound.

Not wife friendly. (no offense to those technically savvy wives out there)

But that said, I don't know how ANY remote that does not have bi-directional
comms with the TV/STB/DVD/surround amp etc is going to know what the state
of the components is... and without that concept of the existing state, how
can it possible go to another state reliably?

We need components that expose their state to allow coordination.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 10:42:56 AM

Randy Sweeney wrote:
> "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com> wrote in message
>
>>dg wrote:
>>

>>>And just try to explain the HD resolutions, aspect ratios and such, watch
>>>them lose interest. Ha Ha. Another thing I think is funny:
>>>
>>>How many of your wives have called you at work because they can't figure
>>>out
>>>how to watch TV?
>>>
>>>I don't mean to say that my wife is stupid, in fact she is quite smart,
>>>but
>>>this whole home theatre thing is getting to a point where the casual TV
>>>watcher doesn't have a chance of properly setting up or even USING the
>>>complicated AV systems. And my setup is VERY small compared to some, the
>>>TV
>>>has 7 inputs and an NTSC tuner, a small PC with ATSC tuner/capture card,
>>>chipped Xbox, voom box.
>>>
>>>I need one of those Sony remotes with macros and touch screen.
>>
>>No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
>>use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
>>jump through just to do anything.
>

> I agree
>
> my wife got me one for christmas a few years ago... true, it can run
> everything from one remote but it is incredibly difficult to set up for
> situational use.
>
> And I mean not set up as in to program (which is very tough - and I am a EE
> with extensive human-machine interface experience), I mean set up as in to
> use the remote to reconfigure various components to handle a specific task
> such as go from watching cable HD on the TV speakers to watching a DVD with
> THX home theater surround sound.
>
> Not wife friendly. (no offense to those technically savvy wives out there)
>
> But that said, I don't know how ANY remote that does not have bi-directional
> comms with the TV/STB/DVD/surround amp etc is going to know what the state
> of the components is... and without that concept of the existing state, how
> can it possible go to another state reliably?
>
> We need components that expose their state to allow coordination.

I thought it was a breeze to set up myself. Plus, every friend that has
come to my house and tried the remote, went out and bought one the next
day. All of their wives love it. Two friends ditched their Prontos as
well.

Steve

--
RCA F38310 HDTV
Onkyo TX-DS787 AV Surround Sound Receiver

> I thought it was a breeze to set up myself. Plus, every friend that has
> come to my house and tried the remote, went out and bought one the next
> day. All of their wives love it. Two friends ditched their Prontos as
> well.
>
> Steve

I was speaking of the Sony LCD remote as being not wife-friendly.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:42:44 PM

> Steve K. (steve@nodamnspam.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> > I need one of those Sony remotes with macros and touch screen.
>>
>> No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
>> use it.
>
> My wife has no problems with the Sony RM-AV3100. She just presses and
> holds
> the button for whatever she wants to do (TV, DVD, TiVo, CD player, etc.),
> and everything gets set just right.
>
> Even the person who house-sat for us had no problems with it, and I left
> only
> a very short instruction sheet (that basically said "press and hold the
> button for what you want to do). I also have a horrendously complicated
> system compared to most other people, so this sort of remote is required.
>
>> What you need is the Harmony SST-659 from Intrigue Technologies.
>
> For me, the "simple" ones like the Harmony won't do the job, because they
> don't understand my HDTV recorder or my component video switcher.

At our house, the issue seems to be when one of the components gets out of
sync.

So the Sony super remote turns off the home theater amp instead of turning
it on because someone turned it on manually to listen to the radio and
didn't turn it back off. Or they left the optical1/optical2/coax input in
the wrong mode.

While the gee-whiz effect of having all the stuff sequence up is great
(heck, it impresses me when it works!), in reality, it screws up enough to
make it easier just to turn the stuff on in manual sequence using the
remote.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:53:27 PM

Randy Sweeney (rsweeney1@comcast.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> At our house, the issue seems to be when one of the components gets out of
> sync.
>
> So the Sony super remote turns off the home theater amp instead of turning
> it on because someone turned it on manually to listen to the radio and
> didn't turn it back off. Or they left the optical1/optical2/coax input in
> the wrong mode.

This is what discrete codes are for. Sometimes this means my macros do
"too much" because they assume nothing, but they always get the job done.

If you have a device that has only toggle codes (or worse, where you can't
pick inputs directly, but can only do it via "next" or "previous" commands),
then no remote will do the job 100% of the time.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/ShermansLagoon/LoanedDVD.g...

Randy Sweeney wrote:
> At our house, the issue seems to be when one of the components gets
out of
> sync.
You should be able to fix that Randy.

Anyway DG, I can't recommend the Harmony SST-659 enough. It should work
for most set ups. Like I said, try the Test Drive. You can add all of
your components ahead of time!

Good Luck!

Steve
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 11:10:06 PM

> Randy Sweeney wrote:
> > At our house, the issue seems to be when one of the components gets out
> of
>> sync.
> You should be able to fix that Randy.

Yes, I (and my techno-savvy children) can fix that... it's my artist wife
who can't figure out what's going on with the myriad inputs and modes.

She tends to watch the 14" analog cable-ready TV in the kitchen.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:12:03 AM

Usually most AV component knows the difference between power on and
power off. The trouble is that most factory remote control only come
with one power button to toggle. If you have a universal remote
control that learned the "power" function, your devices go out of sync
easily when the toggle gives you the wrong result because the initial
state was wrong to start with.

For example, I have a SONY remote that can do a system shutdown macro
to all the SONY brand devices regardless of their initial state, but
the macro only toggle the ON/OFF to all other brands.

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<0c6dnXTzxewwvq_cRVn-oA@comcast.com>...
> At our house, the issue seems to be when one of the components gets out of
> sync.
>
> So the Sony super remote turns off the home theater amp instead of turning
> it on because someone turned it on manually to listen to the radio and
> didn't turn it back off. Or they left the optical1/optical2/coax input in
> the wrong mode.
>
> While the gee-whiz effect of having all the stuff sequence up is great
> (heck, it impresses me when it works!), in reality, it screws up enough to
> make it easier just to turn the stuff on in manual sequence using the
> remote.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:25:12 AM

Randy Sweeney wrote:
> Yes, I (and my techno-savvy children) can fix that... it's my artist wife
> who can't figure out what's going on with the myriad inputs and modes.
Hmmm...I'm an artist and don't seem to have any trouble.

> She tends to watch the 14" analog cable-ready TV in the kitchen.
Baking cookies for you and the children I hope! ;-)
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:55:45 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, dg wrote:
> How many of your wives have called you at work because they can't figure out
> how to watch TV?

Not just spouses. PARENTS! (Or anyone else of the WWII generation or before).
August 30, 2004 2:16:53 PM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:53:31 GMT, "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com> wrote:

>No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
>use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
>jump through just to do anything.
>
>What you need is the Harmony SST-659 from Intrigue Technologies. They
>were just bought by Logitech, but they make the best remote on the
>planet. There's also a new model called the SST-688. Take the "test dive".
>
>Want to watch TV? Push the "Watch TV" button. Want to watch a movie,
>push the "Watch a movie" button. This remote has the highest WAF around
>(Wife Approval Factor). Anyone can use this remote once you set it up.
>
>Check it out here....
>
>http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?REF=CRID=2078&CRID=20...

Damn, very cool.

Except for the price. :-\
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:03:29 AM

Baked wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:53:31 GMT, "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com> wrote:
>

>>No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
>>use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
>>jump through just to do anything.
>>
>>What you need is the Harmony SST-659 from Intrigue Technologies. They
>>were just bought by Logitech, but they make the best remote on the
>>planet. There's also a new model called the SST-688. Take the "test dive".
>>
>>Want to watch TV? Push the "Watch TV" button. Want to watch a movie,
>>push the "Watch a movie" button. This remote has the highest WAF around
>>(Wife Approval Factor). Anyone can use this remote once you set it up.
>>
>>Check it out here....
>>
>>http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?REF=CRID=2078&CRID=20...
>

> Damn, very cool.
>
> Except for the price. :-\

Worth every penny...trust me!

Besides, you can find it for almost half online.

Steve
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:22:51 PM

I second this recommendation - the Harmony is awesome - completely family
friendly and worth every penny. I have hidden all of the other remotes and
have not needed to find them. Before the Harmony, only my 11 year old and
myself could drive the system, now even babysitters and in-laws can be in
control! I got mine from Abes Of Main for $120 through Amazon. The SST-688
is not as good - the buttons are too small and close together, they use
rockers and rings on this model to cram in more buttons, big thumbs down.
The 659 was ready to go in about 20 minutes and I have invested a few more
20 minute sessions on tweaking - mostly personal preferences on the LCD
screen for TiVo and picture size settings for the TV.
> Baked wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:53:31 GMT, "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com>
wrote:

> >>No. Don't blow it with one of those! Your wife still won't be able to
> >>use it. You'll be very dissapointed with all the hoops you'll need to
> >>jump through just to do anything.
> >>
> >>What you need is the Harmony SST-659 from Intrigue Technologies. They
> >>were just bought by Logitech, but they make the best remote on the
> >>planet. There's also a new model called the SST-688. Take the "test
dive".

> >>Want to watch TV? Push the "Watch TV" button. Want to watch a movie,
> >>push the "Watch a movie" button. This remote has the highest WAF around
> >>(Wife Approval Factor). Anyone can use this remote once you set it up.
> >>
> >>Check it out here....
> >>

>>http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?REF=CRID=2078&CRID=20...
atures/harmony&PAGE=products/features/harmony&countryid=19&languageid=1

> > Damn, very cool.
> >
> > Except for the price. :-\
>
> Worth every penny...trust me!
>
> Besides, you can find it for almost half online.
>

> Steve

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 4:17:19 PM

> Randy Sweeney wrote:
>> Yes, I (and my techno-savvy children) can fix that... it's my artist wife
>> who can't figure out what's going on with the myriad inputs and modes.
> Hmmm...I'm an artist and don't seem to have any trouble.
>
>> She tends to watch the 14" analog cable-ready TV in the kitchen.
> Baking cookies for you and the children I hope! ;-)

she bakes for the kids...I am diabetic.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 5:33:41 AM

My friends Harmony has the on/off problem. It doesn't know that one
component was left on, so it shuts it off. Or one component fails to see the
remotes signal, so they press the button again and the original stuff shuts
off.

news:p ine.LNX.4.60.0408300854140.83@kd6lvw.ampr.org...

!