reformat win xp & install win 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 22, 2004 4:50:13 PM

I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win 2000
install,
help
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:07:18 PM

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"denise" wrote:
|I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
| install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
| boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win 2000
| install,
| help
August 22, 2004 6:07:19 PM

When I tried booting from the cd it boots xp from the hard
drive.
When I tried booting from the Boot floppy I get "non-
system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key"
This than opens win xp.
Any other idea, please
denise

or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the
install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
>
>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"denise" wrote:
>|I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
>| install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
>| boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win
2000
>| install,
>| help
>

>.

August 22, 2004 6:58:45 PM

Possibly set the boot order in cmos setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence.
Also look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
drive or check your mb/pc manual for instructions.

--

"denise" wrote:
| When I tried booting from the cd it boots xp from the hard
| drive.
| When I tried booting from the Boot floppy I get "non-
| system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key"
| This than opens win xp.
| Any other idea, please
| denise
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:54:14 PM

Greetings --

There is no "rollback" to Win2K. To replace WinXP with an earlier
OS, you'll have to boot from the appropriate boot disk, format the
hard drive, and install. There is no supported downgrade path or
technique. Additionally, there is no supported upgrade or downgrade
path to migrate between a workstation OS and a server OS, in either
direction. A clean installation is required.

Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and/or format the system partition as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm