reformat win xp & install win 2000

I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win 2000
install,
help
4 answers Last reply
More about reformat install 2000

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "denise" wrote:
    |I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
    | install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
    | boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win 2000
    | install,
    | help

    When I tried booting from the cd it boots xp from the hard
    drive.
    When I tried booting from the Boot floppy I get "non-
    system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key"
    This than opens win xp.
    Any other idea, please
    denise

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
    unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >"denise" wrote:
    >|I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
    >| install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
    >| boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win
    2000
    >| install,
    >| help
    >

    >.

    Possibly set the boot order in cmos setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence.
    Also look for the keystroke (if necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom
    drive or check your mb/pc manual for instructions.

    --

    "denise" wrote:
    | When I tried booting from the cd it boots xp from the hard
    | drive.
    | When I tried booting from the Boot floppy I get "non-
    | system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key"
    | This than opens win xp.
    | Any other idea, please
    | denise

    Greetings --

    There is no "rollback" to Win2K. To replace WinXP with an earlier
    OS, you'll have to boot from the appropriate boot disk, format the
    hard drive, and install. There is no supported downgrade path or
    technique. Additionally, there is no supported upgrade or downgrade
    path to migrate between a workstation OS and a server OS, in either
    direction. A clean installation is required.

    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    opportunity to delete, create, and/or format the system partition as
    part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
    order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "denise" <shop@ihostessing.com> wrote in message
    >I curenytly have xp and what to reformat the machine and
    > install a clean win 2000. I can not get the machine to
    > boot from the win 2000 cd and XP will not let the win 2000
    > install,
    > help

Microsoft Windows XP Windows