Which should I get?

I'm new to the whole Pokemon thing and I want to get fire red or leaf
green. Any advice on which one I should get?

If you know anyone that has one game, get the other one. That way, you
can trade with them for Pokémon only available in one version or
another.

Spiralmind wrote:
> I'm new to the whole Pokemon thing and I want to get fire red or leaf
> green. Any advice on which one I should get?

Exact same game, except for the availability of a few pokemon. FR has some
LG doesn't, and vice versa. If you are new, it probably doesn't matter which
you get, because you won't have a preference for the pokemon.

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Spiralmind wrote:
>> I'm new to the whole Pokemon thing and I want to get fire red or leaf
>> green. Any advice on which one I should get?
>
> Exact same game, except for the availability of a few pokemon. FR has some
> LG doesn't, and vice versa. If you are new, it probably doesn't matter
> which you get, because you won't have a preference for the pokemon.

I ended up getting both. However if you're only getting one of them, you
might want to consider Green. Porygon, which you have to buy from the Game
Corner is significantly cheaper in Green.

"afish" <afish@spymac.com> wrote in message
> Dratini, I think.

But you can catch them in the wild, can't you? Buying is the only option for
Porygon.

daramark

Indeed, but it's not necessarily an easy catch. In any case, Porygon is
the only Game Corner-exclusive Pokémon.

Most assuredly. I never actually PLAYED those damn minigames for
Porygon. In the ol' Red/Blue days, I just kept battling the Elite Four
until I had sufficient funds to get my Porygon on.

Once upon a time Brion K. Lienhart decided to write:

> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Spiralmind wrote:
>>> I'm new to the whole Pokemon thing and I want to get fire red or
>>> leaf green. Any advice on which one I should get?
>>
>> Exact same game, except for the availability of a few pokemon. FR
>> has some LG doesn't, and vice versa. If you are new, it probably
>> doesn't matter which you get, because you won't have a preference
>> for the pokemon.
>
> I ended up getting both. However if you're only getting one of them,
> you might want to consider Green. Porygon, which you have to buy from
> the Game Corner is significantly cheaper in Green.

Then who would be more expensive in the opposite game?

Indeed, but it's not necessarily an easy catch. In any case, Porygon is
the only Game Corner-exclusive Pokémon.

Yeah - but buying it is easy. It may sound like a lot of $$ but if you go to
the two rich ladies on that resort island (mini island you surf to) you can
get $20K with amulet coin each time you fight them both - just use the vs.
seeker and in about 25 mins you will have the money.

afish wrote:
> Most assuredly. I never actually PLAYED those damn minigames for
> Porygon. In the ol' Red/Blue days, I just kept battling the Elite Four
> until I had sufficient funds to get my Porygon on.

They definitely need to work on the Game Corner for the next game. The
most you can win on the slots is 300, right? That's kind of sad, since
most things cost around 4000 coins.

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
> afish wrote:
>> Most assuredly. I never actually PLAYED those damn minigames for
>> Porygon. In the ol' Red/Blue days, I just kept battling the Elite Four
>> until I had sufficient funds to get my Porygon on.
>>

> They definitely need to work on the Game Corner for the next game. The
> most you can win on the slots is 300, right? That's kind of sad, since
> most things cost around 4000 coins.

Ever since I lived in Nevada, I have an aversion to trying to win money on
slot machines. The state's whole economy is based on stupid people coming
from out of state and losing at slots. For every person who "Won a Million
Dollar$$!!" there's a million people who lost a couple hundred dollars.

Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
>
>>afish wrote:
>>
>>>Most assuredly. I never actually PLAYED those damn minigames for
>>>Porygon. In the ol' Red/Blue days, I just kept battling the Elite Four
>>>until I had sufficient funds to get my Porygon on.
>>>

>>They definitely need to work on the Game Corner for the next game. The
>>most you can win on the slots is 300, right? That's kind of sad, since
>>most things cost around 4000 coins.
>

> Ever since I lived in Nevada, I have an aversion to trying to win money on
> slot machines. The state's whole economy is based on stupid people coming
> from out of state and losing at slots. For every person who "Won a Million
> Dollar$$!!" there's a million people who lost a couple hundred dollars.

Good lord I'd never play *real* slots. I only played the ones in the
game just to see how they were in the new versions. They aren't that
fun. It's better to buy the coins.

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message
>> afish wrote:
>>> Most assuredly. I never actually PLAYED those damn minigames for
>>> Porygon. In the ol' Red/Blue days, I just kept battling the Elite Four
>>> until I had sufficient funds to get my Porygon on.
>>>

>> They definitely need to work on the Game Corner for the next game. The
>> most you can win on the slots is 300, right? That's kind of sad, since
>> most things cost around 4000 coins.
>
> Ever since I lived in Nevada, I have an aversion to trying to win money on
> slot machines. The state's whole economy is based on stupid people coming
> from out of state and losing at slots. For every person who "Won a Million
> Dollar$$!!" there's a million people who lost a couple hundred dollars.

It never even occurred to me to play the games in the Game Corner - I just
raised money to buy coins to trade in directly for prizes. Why bother to
play..it's gambling - you never really win.

Once upon a time John Salerno decided to write:

> Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
>> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message

>>> They definitely need to work on the Game Corner for the next game.
>>> The most you can win on the slots is 300, right? That's kind of
>>> sad, since most things cost around 4000 coins.
>>

>> Ever since I lived in Nevada, I have an aversion to trying to win
>> money on slot machines. The state's whole economy is based on stupid
>> people coming from out of state and losing at slots. For every
>> person who "Won a Million Dollar$$!!" there's a million people who
>> lost a couple hundred dollars.
> Good lord I'd never play *real* slots. I only played the ones in the
> game just to see how they were in the new versions. They aren't that
> fun. It's better to buy the coins.

Yeh. Those slot machines just turn me off the real machines. I guess maybe
it discourages children from gambling more than anything else.

"©hr!2" <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Once upon a time John Salerno decided to write:
>
> > Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> >> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message

> >> Ever since I lived in Nevada, I have an aversion to trying to win
> >> money on slot machines. The state's whole economy is based on stupid
> >> people coming from out of state and losing at slots. For every
> >> person who "Won a Million Dollar$$!!" there's a million people who
> >> lost a couple hundred dollars.
> > Good lord I'd never play *real* slots. I only played the ones in the
> > game just to see how they were in the new versions. They aren't that
> > fun. It's better to buy the coins.
>
> Yeh. Those slot machines just turn me off the real machines. I guess maybe
> it discourages children from gambling more than anything else.

And I thought just the opposite! Hook the kids early on gambling, and then
watch them go as adults. LOL

So are the slots in FRLG really different from RBY? I used to win at those.
None of the other slots let me win so easily, and card flip just hates me
(or rather I don't know how to play, so I hate it) but the Roulette wheel is
OK. I would not make a good gambler IRL, I like the odds in my favour. LOL

daramark

Once upon a time daramark decided to write:

<snip>
>> Yeh. Those slot machines just turn me off the real machines. I guess
>> maybe it discourages children from gambling more than anything else.
>

> And I thought just the opposite! Hook the kids early on gambling,
> and then watch them go as adults. LOL

Well they have that effect on me, but I can't speak oh behalf of everyone.
That's why it has a warning advice on the censorship rating here, stating
that there are gambling references.

> So are the slots in FRLG really different from RBY? I used to win at
> those. None of the other slots let me win so easily, and card flip
> just hates me (or rather I don't know how to play, so I hate it) but
> the Roulette wheel is OK. I would not make a good gambler IRL, I
> like the odds in my favour. LOL

Well there were times when I had some luck on some of the machines, but if I
lost too many coins, I'd reset. That's something you can't do in real life.
lol If you wanted Porygon, you'd need to gamble a bit if you didn't have
9999 coins, but something like 99xx, where the 'x' is a number you can't
fill to 9 by buying coins.