Desktop Shortcut for Excel, but read-only?

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Read Only
  • Excel
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 23, 2004 1:46:25 AM

I have the following desire: I would like to create a
desktop shortcut to have Excel open a file as read-only.

So far I checked for Excel's command-line switches, and /r
is for read-only. I found Excel in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE. I tried a
shortcut to tell it that, such as a desktop shortcut
for "C:\blah\blah\EXCEL.EXE /r S:\blah\blah\file.xls",
etc, but the "create shortcut" wizard won't allow that,
saying the file doesn't exist. I tried running it from
Start > Run... > "blah blah" etc, it said it could not run
the command or whatever. If I go into the command prompt,
change directory to EXCEL.EXE executable and use
excel /r "S:\blah\blah\file.xls" it works. I guess I need
to make a batch file that will do this, but is there
something I'm missing for doing it through a desktop
shortcut?

More about : desktop shortcut excel read

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:52:52 PM

"NeoSadist" <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in message
> I have the following desire: I would like to create a
> desktop shortcut to have Excel open a file as read-only.
>
> So far I checked for Excel's command-line switches, and /r
> is for read-only. I found Excel in C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE. I tried a
> shortcut to tell it that, such as a desktop shortcut
> for "C:\blah\blah\EXCEL.EXE /r S:\blah\blah\file.xls",
> etc, but the "create shortcut" wizard won't allow that,
> saying the file doesn't exist. I tried running it from
> Start > Run... > "blah blah" etc, it said it could not run
> the command or whatever. If I go into the command prompt,
> change directory to EXCEL.EXE executable and use
> excel /r "S:\blah\blah\file.xls" it works. I guess I need
> to make a batch file that will do this, but is there
> something I'm missing for doing it through a desktop
> shortcut?

Place your double quotes around the command, not
around the whole thing!

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /r s:\...
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:05:39 AM

Nope, that didn't work, already tried that. So far the
solution is to change directory to where EXCEL.EXE is,
then tell it excel /r "S..."

I did that in a batch file, and placed the batch file on
my desktop, so so far that works. If you have a better
way, let me know please.

August 24, 2004 7:03:51 PM

Create a new batch file with the following lines, run it from
the Command Prompt, then report the result. Do not retype
these lines - use cut & paste!

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE"
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Winword.EXE"
dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Excel.*"

> Nope, that didn't work, already tried that. So far the
> solution is to change directory to where EXCEL.EXE is,
> then tell it excel /r "S..."
>
> I did that in a batch file, and placed the batch file on
> my desktop, so so far that works. If you have a better
> way, let me know please.

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:17:28 AM

Why in the world would I want to run excel and word back
to back? I need a way to open a file as read-only, not a
way to run excel and word.

>> Nope, that didn't work, already tried that. So far the
>> solution is to change directory to where EXCEL.EXE is,
>> then tell it excel /r "S..."
>>
>> I did that in a batch file, and placed the batch file on
>> my desktop, so so far that works. If you have a better
>> way, let me know please.

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:45:07 PM

Why in the world would you be so rude to someone who is attempting to
help you?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 10:57:17 PM

When trouble-shooting it is useful to keep an open mind.
Invoking the three commands in the one batch file would
reveal plenty about the possible cause of your problem.
Your apparent rejection of my suggestion will severly
limit your ability to resolve the issue quickly.

!