Raid 5 logical partition size

i want to justify to my boss why i created two logical partitions on my raid
5 array
6x 72 Gb SCSI drives 1st logical partition i set my 10Gb OS windows partion
and a 120 odd data, on my second partition i created aproximately a 200Gb
Data partiton.

I believe that it would speed up write and possibly read speed by splitting
the data over 2 logical partitions is this correct ????

Heady wrote:

> i want to justify to my boss why i created two logical partitions on my raid
> 5 array
> 6x 72 Gb SCSI drives 1st logical partition i set my 10Gb OS windows partion
> and a 120 odd data, on my second partition i created aproximately a 200Gb
> Data partiton.
>
> I believe that it would speed up write and possibly read speed by splitting
> the data over 2 logical partitions is this correct ????

Sounds like you created at least three partitions
(10, 120, and 200 GB) some of which may have been
logical drives inside an extended partition.

There are lots of good reasons for partitioning
drives or RAIDs, but speed is very seldom one of them.

You get speed benefits from partitioning only when
the drive heads speed almost all of their time over
a single partition. If the drive heads spend a lot
of time bouncing back and forth between partitions,
seek times skyrocket.

Note also that both read and write transfer rates are
fastest at the beginning of the drive (ie., the outermost
cylinders) and are typically only about half as fast at
the end of the drive (the innermost cylinders). If you
are attempting to partition for speed reasons, then
this is something to consider. You might, for example,
want to put the most frequently used data on the fastest
partitions.

"Heady" <Heady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i want to justify to my boss why i created two logical partitions on my
>raid
> 5 array
> 6x 72 Gb SCSI drives 1st logical partition i set my 10Gb OS windows
> partion
> and a 120 odd data, on my second partition i created aproximately a 200Gb
> Data partiton.
>
> I believe that it would speed up write and possibly read speed by
> splitting
> the data over 2 logical partitions is this correct ????

nope, it is more costly in terms of performance for the operating system,
drive electronics and the head actuator to transition b/w the partitions
(logical drives). the only good rationale for partitioning is organization
of data, software, etc, but you will not see better performance by creating
multiple partitions, possibly the opposite, but drives are so fast these
days, especially in a 6-drive raid configuration, i wouldn't be concerned.
organize the partitions in a logical way that makes sense to you, assuming
you're the system admin, that should be the only justification your boss
needs.

--
francis