Win2k Server not installing

Anil

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Hey anyone who can help me out..its greatly appreciated

Im installing Window 2000 Server

* Reformated hard drive
* Boot with Floppy (Win 98 Book Disk)
* Choose CD-Rom Support
* Run Smartdrv.exe
* Typed cd i386 then winnt.exe and let everything copy.
* Restarted the machine by pressing ENTER, to let the DOS
mode of the setup finish.
* After restart, it hangs at the screen where it says Pl
wait and let the system check the hardware
requirements..... and nothing happens... nothing seems to
work

Can anyone help??????

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom (The set of four install disks can be created from
your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom
and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow
the prompts.)

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Anil" wrote:
| Hey anyone who can help me out..its greatly appreciated
|
| Im installing Window 2000 Server
|
| * Reformated hard drive
| * Boot with Floppy (Win 98 Book Disk)
| * Choose CD-Rom Support
| * Run Smartdrv.exe
| * Typed cd i386 then winnt.exe and let everything copy.
| * Restarted the machine by pressing ENTER, to let the DOS
| mode of the setup finish.
| * After restart, it hangs at the screen where it says Pl
| wait and let the system check the hardware
| requirements..... and nothing happens... nothing seems to
| work
|
| Can anyone help??????

Hi,

That might be a ACPI problem, when you start the installation try hitting F6
when it says "Detecting Hardware" and then choose to install the Standard
Hal.

Good luck!

//Patrick
--
Want a script to write your documentation?
http://sydi.sourceforge.net/

"Anil" <anilgulati100@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey anyone who can help me out..its greatly appreciated
>
> Im installing Window 2000 Server
>
> * Reformated hard drive
> * Boot with Floppy (Win 98 Book Disk)
> * Choose CD-Rom Support
> * Run Smartdrv.exe
> * Typed cd i386 then winnt.exe and let everything copy.
> * Restarted the machine by pressing ENTER, to let the DOS
> mode of the setup finish.
> * After restart, it hangs at the screen where it says Pl
> wait and let the system check the hardware
> requirements..... and nothing happens... nothing seems to
> work
>
> Can anyone help??????

hi
You may have a raid card ,press F6 at startup and install the drivers
will OK. May help u