e4300 temperatures

CarlosDK

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Just finished building my new system today, it all seems to be running fine (installing Vista and various applications, drivers etc.) - i've been making my own pc's for years and never cared about over clocking and temperatures (from the philosophy, that if it runs it's probably allright :D ) but since i would like to overclock this one, i thought i'd pay attention to detail, instead of just trying at random:). I tried reading the sticky topic, but maybe im dense, or maybe it's cos english isn't my first language - but im not entirely sure i understand, eventhough it certainly is detailed.

My system is as follows

Antec P180b case, with 3 fans running at low.
Corsair HX520W PSU
E4300 CPU currently at stock settings
ASUS P5W HE Deluxe motherboard
Scythe Infinity cooler (that im not 100% sure is mounted right, although it feels sturdy enough - but darn that thing is big).
OCZ PC7200mhz ram (2x1gb)
Arctic silver 5, applied as prescribed on theire site.
Radeon 1950pro video card (47C idle reported by Catalyst control center)
1x320gb HD

I dont have a thermometer here, but i would guess my room temperature is around 18C currently.

Ideling in Vista TAT averages at around 38C while coretemp shows 20-22C

After 15-20 minutes of 100% load on both cores (with TAT) tat hovers around 56-57C while Coretemp shows 40-41.

Are these normal values? Can i assume that my CPU cooler is mounted correct, and would it be "safe" from a temperature point of view, to attempt overclocking?

Sorry for these noobish questions :wink: would be greatly appreciated if someone has time to answer.

dvfd9

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
That's about what I'm getting on stock cooler @ 3150mhz,3200mhz,3400mhz,3600mhz lol

it doesn't seem to change at all for me. try resetting your heatsink? I have a tuniq 120 on the way - i'll let you know what I get then.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Antec P180b case, with 3 fans running at low.
E4300
Vcore stock
ASUS P5W HE Deluxe
Scythe Infinity cooler
Arctic silver 5
room temperature 18C

Ideling in Vista TAT averages at around 38C while coretemp shows 20-22C

After 15-20 minutes of 100% load on both cores (with TAT) tat hovers around 56-57C while Coretemp shows 40-41.

Are these normal values? Can i assume that my CPU cooler is mounted correct, and would it be "safe" from a temperature point of view, to attempt overclocking?

Core Temp is simply offset by -15c. Your other temps are correct.

Corrected Temperatures:

Ideling in Vista TAT averages at around 38C while coretemp shows 35-37C

After 15-20 minutes of 100% load on both cores (with TAT) tat hovers around 56-57C while Coretemp shows 55-56.

You're cleared to OC. Good luck, and enjoy your new rig. :D

Comp 8)

sdeivis

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Hello everyone,

I've been into building PC's for years now, started playing with overclocks with my MSI 964D-PRO-AR (2xP3-750@855, since it didn't "want" to go for 133FSB, a worldwide issue with 700+ P3's on this mobo).

Now I decided to switch from a Dual P3 to a dual P3-technology based CPU (as I don't love the NetBurst technology). After doing lots of reading I found out that I was right - e4300 is better than D495 (at the same price point).

I had a VERY VERY limited budget for my new system (I even bought a poor second-hand R9250-64MB, though it was brand new, never used), and I did everything to save money and preserve the best possible upgradeability.

I chose a motherboard supporting Quad core, AGP+PCI-E, Dual channel DDR-400/DDR2-667, having some overclocking potential - it was an Asrock "4CoreDual-VSTA" based on VIA PT880 Ultra, having all the needed stuff (though not a very realiable brandname), and works with a cheap AGP card, having a nice PCI-E slot and also Realtek 888 chipset for HD onboard audio (or maybe should I stick with my PCI Creative SB Live! 24bit 7.1? :roll: )

The memory had also to be budget-limited, so I went for PQI 667 CL5 64*8 and fixed it at the DDR2-667 in BIOS.

For the PSU - I got a cheap 550W Q-tec (Trust) with 2 fans (gold version).

And the CPU - as mentioned before - after doing lots of reading - e4300, of course with the BOX cooler.

Nothing done for overclocking, just the FSB for 266 from 200.

Now I have an e6600 alternative with twice less cache, Sandra tests also show the same.

My concern:

When 100% loaded with TAT for 10 mins, I got this:

TAT 68/66
Coretemp beta 0.94 53/53

And after 2 minutes passed with removing the load, I got this:

TAT 43/40
Coretemp beta 0.94 27/25

Is it safe to keep it like that?

THANX !

CarlosDK

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
You're cleared to OC. Good luck, and enjoy your new rig. :D

Thanks a bunch, i tried clocking a bit, and would like to hear your opinion on the following temperatures , if you have the time (for the time being i clocked it back to default, but it appeared stable while OC'ed) - I didn't change any voltages, just the FSB, and the case Fan speeds were on low as in my previous post.

e4300 @ 2400mhz

Idle:

TAT = hovering between 38 and 42 but i'd say 40C on average
Coretemp = 20-22C.

Full load on both cores with TAT for 10-12 minutes:

TAT = Swinging between 57 and 63, 60C on average.
Coretemp = 55 on average, pretty consistant -15 compared to TAT

That seemed reasonable, compared to the temp. scale in the sticky thread, so i upped it to:

e4300 @ 3000mhz

Idle:

TAT = 44C on average.
Coretemp = 22-23C

Full load on both cores with TAT for 10-12 minutes:

TAT = On average around 68C - the difference this time was that CPU1 rather consistantly showed 65-66C occationaly shooting up to 70C. CPU2 was at 70-71 most of the time, occationally dropping to 65-66C.

Coretemp = 54-56 rather consistant on both cores.

If i read the scale, in the sticky right that puts me right around the high end of "normal" just eeking in to "warm" on occation - Is it "safe" for me to run with the 3ghz setting - I haven't gotten around to updating the BIOS yet (running v.1506) and i plan to move the case fans around a bit, just to see if theres any differences .

Does the temperatures indicate, anything wrong with the installation of the CPU cooler, reading on different forums (even in this very thread :) ), i see some very low temperatures reported with the same Infinity cooler i have - could that be because of the differences between various measuring methods?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
sdeivis, Thanks for reading the Guide. Regarding your situation, TAT is correct, and Core Temp is offset by -15c. Simply add 15c to Core Temp, and your temps agree very closely, just as they should. Your temps are fine at your current settings.

Hope this helps.

Comp 8)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
CarlosDK, your temps are fine, taking into account the -15c Core Temp values. Remember that nothing will theramlly stress your CPU to higher levels than TAT, so it's OK to see temps edging into the yellow "warm" area of the scale.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

CarlosDK

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
hmm, I think you should try pressure mounthing the infinity, that should lower your temps, they do seem high for a stock cpu, I would have expected something around 35 or below on load for a stock allendale

Still sounds like a huge difference to what im getting - i just checked again now, and it really does feel and look like it's in place, hard for me to imagine, that its lose enough to make up a 20+ degree differnce.

CarlosDK

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
CarlosDK, your temps are fine, taking into account the -15c Core Temp values. Remember that nothing will theramlly stress your CPU to higher levels than TAT, so it's OK to see temps edging into the yellow "warm" area of the scale.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

It sure helps a lot! Thank you very much for your time, i'll bump it up tomorrow to 3ghz - don't really think i'll notice much difference by trying to press it even further and 1.8 > 3ghz on a cheap CPU like that is fine by me :) . Can't belive how easy it was though, no voltage changes or anything and it seemed stable enough - and still much quieter than my old system wich is just a blessing.

Again thanks for all your help and time, without it i doubt i would have attempted OC'ing it :)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You're welcome, glad I could help. If you download SpeedFan 4.32, it can read all 3 sensors, and can be configured to correct for offsets. The Guide has a fresh edit as of earlier this morning, and has new sections on Heat Flow and Offsets, with changes to Parameters and Troubleshooting. Have another look, and it will take you to setting up SpeedFan.

Good luck, and enjoy your rig! :D

Comp 8)

CarlosDK

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks, well im definatly enjoying this new system - im amazed how fast it is compared to my old p4 2.8 :)

I tried changing a few things, since i had the afternoon off, i took off the infinity and remounted it - it feels about as sturdy as before though - I also took off the heatsinks on the motherboard, cleaned them, and applied arctic silver 5 to them aswell - Im pretty sure i did it right, and it can't be worse than the thick dry stuff that was on them to begin with.

I gave Speedfan 4.32 a try, and it shows the same as Coretemp, but ofcourse i can adjust that - Strange thing is, that it's off by less now, than it was before (compared to TAT) at load, and the difference is a bit bigger when it's Idle - But i figure it doesn't matter much, as long as im just using it to monitor changes i make - And i use TAT as my reference point anyway.

Long story short, my idle temperature dropped 4-5C and my load temperature around 3C.

One question though, in Speedfan after 10-12 minutes of full load on TAT - my System temp shows 34C - where is that measured? and is that ok (assume it is, it's pretty low) - theres also a "weird" one called AUX that i can't quite figure what is - but i assume it's some sort of misreading since it shows 90-120C, and i sure hope nothing is that hot in there 8O

Thanks again!.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
"System" is motherboard temp, and it's measuring point varies with manufacturer and board architecture. "Aux" is misreported when it's an unasigned input, and toggles random values. This is normal, unless Aux is assigned to the northbridge, for example, when it will display normal values.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)