LCD Panels and Gamers (Sony SDM-S81)

jg1234

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
Folks,

I think there are some good discussions on this board about LCD monitors and games. I have a few questions.

1. Does anybody know/have experience with the Sony SDM-S81 18.1 inch LCD ? - Is it good for gaming ??

2. What happens when you try to use resoultions other than the recommended default?? I know on a 19 inch CRT you can play games at 1024 x 760 with no problem but it seems like if folks buy an expensive 18 inch LCD and try to play games at 1024 x 760 - they struggle. I have noticed warnings that say "for best performance use optimal screen resolutions with LCD - for a 18 in that is 1600 x 1200. I have never seen that warning on a 19in CRT. What do you folks think ??

3. What's the future of monitors ?? - Will CRT's be around in 2 - 3 years and will they be prefered by gamers??

Please post - thanks

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
1. Never personally seen it, but looking at that rise time, well it's pretty high, and that won't be terribly nice (although it's so very stylish!). IMO, not the best for gaming.
2. LCD's have a set number of pixels they use- ie a 15" LCD has 1024x768 pixels. Thus, when one runs it at something that's not native res, it must scale, cause how does one deal when 1.32353464547 pixels have to be used (random example). Thus, text won't look that good, and becomes fuzzier (unless it's scaled to an integer value, where it looks fine). For games, this is a different story- although the text in the games will be scaled and look fuzzy, the actual graphics will be fine. I have done this on many occasions, and it's fine.
3. I'm not sure how long till CRT's are gone, but they will be replaced by other types of monitors. LCD's are making their way, but then again, monitor types other than LCD are coming out too! As for preference by gamers, when response times are lowered and technologies to reduce gray response times are more widely used, they probably will.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: