re-install possible with OEM disk?

My son nags me to periodically reformat my HDD and
reinstall WIN 2000 Pro, which came installed on my
computer. The installation disc I have is OEM. If I do
as he says, what problems might I encounter and how do I
work around them? Thanks for any advice.
4 answers Last reply
More about install disk

    Thanks for the response. I do have the original
    installation disk and appropriate 25-character sticker.
    To answer your question: Son asserts that after running
    Win2000 for a period of time, with fairly intensive
    internet use, the system files become somewhat clogged up
    with unnecessary files, incompletely removed apps, etc.,
    and a reformat/reinstall helps system performance. I
    backup files regularly, so reloading apps and reinstalling
    data files shouldn't be a major issue. Just wasn't sure
    if OEM installation disk would burp on me by detecting a
    prior installation (even over a reformatted HDD)and abort
    installation at some point. Again, thanks.

    If it's the Win2k reinstallation CD that came with your particular computer,
    and you have the CD-key (25-char key, either on the jewel case or on a
    sticker on your PC), you can do it.

    My question is, why does he think you need to reformat? You can do this, but
    it's a lot of work - you need to back up all your data first, and after
    install, reapply all SPs/hotfixes, reinstall all your apps, restore your
    data. Don't know the problems you're having, and it's entirely possible that
    a clean install is a good plan, but first it might be helpful to know what
    problems you're having to see if there's a less brutal way to resolve them.

    Mike Gaiffe wrote:
    > My son nags me to periodically reformat my HDD and
    > reinstall WIN 2000 Pro, which came installed on my
    > computer. The installation disc I have is OEM. If I do
    > as he says, what problems might I encounter and how do I
    > work around them? Thanks for any advice.

    Mike - my gratuitous two cents:

    Not to start a family squabble here, but unless you have noticed
    bothersome (serious) performance degradation there's usually no need to
    reinstall an OS like W2k. Other things you can look at are adequacy of
    your system partition size, of your pagefile size and placement, and of
    the space taken up by unnecessary temp files and directories. Regular
    defragging of all partitions, including of syatem files and indices
    therein, can also help. You might also check to see how the "max
    registry size" setting compares to the current size of your registry and
    adjust if necessary. (Fragmented registries, pagefiles, and file indices
    like MFTs and directories can slow down a system noticeably but are
    easily fixed with a good defragger.)

    The mother-wit adage If It Ain't Broke Dont Fix It is generally good
    advice for most folks. Although NASCAR guys treat motors like you and I
    treat shoes, most people are satisfied with an occasional tuneup down at
    the corner garage. There's a point at which the next 10% performance
    improvement doubles your cost in time and energy. Tradeoff time. If
    you're a serious gamer, though, you may be more like the NASCAR folks.
    In that world, extreme tweaking and overclocking are the norm.

    You will find the "If it ain't broke..." vs the "Periodic reinstall..."
    arguments a long-running debate where there's truth on both sides. Kind
    of like the PC/MAC clash, but more muted.

    Heavy internet use may mean large bookmark files; if you do reinstall,
    make sure you capture all that kind of thing too.

    Mike Gaiffe wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. I do have the original
    > installation disk and appropriate 25-character sticker.
    > To answer your question: Son asserts that after running
    > Win2000 for a period of time, with fairly intensive
    > internet use, the system files become somewhat clogged up
    > with unnecessary files, incompletely removed apps, etc.,
    > and a reformat/reinstall helps system performance. I
    > backup files regularly, so reloading apps and reinstalling
    > data files shouldn't be a major issue. Just wasn't sure
    > if OEM installation disk would burp on me by detecting a
    > prior installation (even over a reformatted HDD)and abort
    > installation at some point. Again, thanks.

    I'm with you, Dan.
    Mike - unless your system is having MAJOR problems, a reinstall is not the
    first thing to try.

    Dan Seur wrote:
    > Mike - my gratuitous two cents:
    >
    > Not to start a family squabble here, but unless you have noticed
    > bothersome (serious) performance degradation there's usually no need
    > to reinstall an OS like W2k. Other things you can look at are
    > adequacy of your system partition size, of your pagefile size and
    > placement, and of the space taken up by unnecessary temp files and
    > directories. Regular defragging of all partitions, including of
    > syatem files and indices therein, can also help. You might also check
    > to see how the "max registry size" setting compares to the current
    > size of your registry and adjust if necessary. (Fragmented
    > registries, pagefiles, and file indices like MFTs and directories can
    > slow down a system noticeably but are easily fixed with a good
    > defragger.)
    > The mother-wit adage If It Ain't Broke Dont Fix It is generally good
    > advice for most folks. Although NASCAR guys treat motors like you and
    > I treat shoes, most people are satisfied with an occasional tuneup
    > down at the corner garage. There's a point at which the next 10%
    > performance improvement doubles your cost in time and energy.
    > Tradeoff time. If you're a serious gamer, though, you may be more
    > like the NASCAR folks. In that world, extreme tweaking and
    > overclocking are the norm.
    > You will find the "If it ain't broke..." vs the "Periodic
    > reinstall..." arguments a long-running debate where there's truth on
    > both sides. Kind of like the PC/MAC clash, but more muted.
    >
    > Heavy internet use may mean large bookmark files; if you do reinstall,
    > make sure you capture all that kind of thing too.
    >
    > Mike Gaiffe wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the response. I do have the original
    >> installation disk and appropriate 25-character sticker.
    >> To answer your question: Son asserts that after running
    >> Win2000 for a period of time, with fairly intensive
    >> internet use, the system files become somewhat clogged up
    >> with unnecessary files, incompletely removed apps, etc.,
    >> and a reformat/reinstall helps system performance. I
    >> backup files regularly, so reloading apps and reinstalling
    >> data files shouldn't be a major issue. Just wasn't sure
    >> if OEM installation disk would burp on me by detecting a
    >> prior installation (even over a reformatted HDD)and abort
    >> installation at some point. Again, thanks.

Microsoft OEM Windows