Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking out a PSU for my new build

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2007 8:58:59 PM

I'm building my first computer and i already purchased some of the components. I plan to eventually use 2 8800 GTS (640 or 320) in SLI, but for now i'll be using only one card. I need a PSU that will be able to power my system and these 2 GPUs. Someone told me that i will need at least 24A on 12v rails for the video cards and PC, i don't know how true this is, no PSU on Nvidia's certified list for 8800GTS has that, except for may be PC Power and Cooling 1KW. I can't afford to buy a PSU like that, though i would like to buy quality, but don't want to spend more than $200-$220. was looking at PSUs by OCZ, Forton,Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, PC P & C. Also would be nice to have something thats not too loud, something on the quiet side.

System specs:
AMD Anthlon 64 FX-62 Windsor
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
2 GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO
2 8800 GTS
150 GB WD Raptor
320 GB Seagate Barracuda
Zalman 9500 AM2
Lite-on SATADVD Burner
Any OEM SATA DVD ROM
Mitsumi Floppy and card reader
Creative Audigy 4 sound card
Creative inspire P7800 speakers
PS/2 Keyboard and mouse

I already own the processor, hard drives,speakers and sound card, probaly will pick up an X-FI.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

More about : picking psu build

March 2, 2007 9:27:01 PM

Silverstone OP750 :) 

Marell
March 2, 2007 9:31:59 PM

Quote:
I'm building my first computer and i already purchased some of the components. I plan to eventually use 2 8800 GTS (640 or 320) in SLI, but for now i'll be using only one card. I need a PSU that will be able to power my system and these 2 GPUs. Someone told me that i will need at least 24A on 12v rails for the video cards and PC, i don't know how true this is, no PSU on Nvidia's certified list for 8800GTS has that, except for may be PC Power and Cooling 1KW. I can't afford to buy a PSU like that, though i would like to buy quality, but don't want to spend more than $200-$220. was looking at PSUs by OCZ, Forton,Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, PC P & C. Also would be nice to have something thats not too loud, something on the quiet side.

System specs:
AMD Anthlon 64 FX-62 Windsor
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
2 GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO
2 8800 GTS
150 GB WD Raptor
320 GB Seagate Barracuda
Zalman 9500 AM2
Lite-on SATADVD Burner
Any OEM SATA DVD ROM
Mitsumi Floppy and card reader
Creative Audigy 4 sound card
Creative inspire P7800 speakers
PS/2 Keyboard and mouse

I already own the processor, hard drives,speakers and sound card, probaly will pick up an X-FI.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'd recommend going with one GTX rather than SLI'd GTSs. If you need to, go witht he GTS a while and when you're ready to upgrade, sell the GTS and get a GTX (or whatever is the current king of the hill). The PCP&C 750 Silencer should handle SLI'd GTSs and is currently $230 at Newegg.
Related resources
March 2, 2007 9:51:09 PM

Thank you for taking out the time to help me. I was actually considering OCZ Game Xstream 850W and Enermax Infinity 720W, but PC Power and Cooling andSilverstone also are very good. Its tough to pick a nice PSU out of this bunch of high-enders. My concern is having enough power for everything, my processor is very power-hungry requiring 125W. I'm also curious to know whether there is any truth to what my friend was telling me about having at least 24A on 12v rails.

Unfotunately I don't have the cash right now to get a 8800 GTX, i plan to order parts in a few days so i don't have time to save more money, but i may upgrade to it later as suggested. More suggestions would be most welcome.
March 2, 2007 9:59:52 PM

Thanks! It looks like you repled to my post while i was typing so i didnt see it. I'll check out those links.
!